Wieters and Rutschman

Just Regular

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

My "shocking" comment about Vaughn is that I would guess Elias passing on Rutschman would be due to him wanting a young, high upside player. If he selects the second-best college hitter, and one that plays 1st base at that, it would tell me he's trying to go way underslot. I guess that would be one way to "create a talent pipeline" by adding more overslot players with later picks. I think most could accept arguments for Rutschman (#1 on most boards) or Witt/Abrams (young with massive upside) over a college first basemen. 

It shouldn't come into consideration when looking to add the best available talent, but there would also be many wondering why you take a college first basemen who is theoretically close to ML ready when you just moved Mountcastle to first and he seems to be taking off with the bat. You already have that guy. 

Glad this was cleared up for Coc, tough day. 

5 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Glad this was cleared up for Coc, tough day. 

Like I said in my reply, Mountcastle isn't Vaughn.

Vaughn is going to be a very high pick, it wouldn't be "shocking" to see him go 1-1 if it isn't Rutschman.

Shocking would be a Hobgood pick or picking someone like Grenier in the first round and giving him slot money.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Please don’t make a joke of love or mental illness, let’s try to stick to Rutschman & the things we have in common, like sexiness; Though — I don’t entirely care for what you’re wearing currently. 

On 5/6/2019 at 3:58 PM, webbrick2010 said:

I don't like picking a catcher at 1-1

Too much value tied to whether he is at least average defensively, and too hard to tell from college ball.

Get a guy who with a plus arm and speed and he will have far more options to break into the bigs, even is his hitting is not top 10%

Look at the A's and a guy like Lucroy who is a plus hitter but a disaster defensively.

I'd rather have Severino at ML minimum.

If he stays healthy and develops well, he gives the O's a competitive advantage over every other team - as there's an absurd shortage of qualtiy catchers in MLB.  I can't imagine the O's giving up that rare opportunity.  He is the 1st pick in the draft.  

I hope someone starts a poll before the draft because I think it might be highly informational and illustrative to see who is on the record AGAINST picking Rutschman at 1:1.

There's always someone shouting against the wind.

5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I hope someone starts a poll before the draft because I think it might be highly informational and illustrative to see who is on the record AGAINST picking Rutschman at 1:1.

There's always someone shouting against the wind.

Yes, a poll shortly before draft day is a great idea.    

Interesting that in Tony’s interview with Elias, he was quite clear about the downsides of choosing a catcher no. 1 (or anywhere, really).    He certainly didn’t tip his hand that Rutschman would be the pick.   

On 5/6/2019 at 5:29 PM, Luke-OH said:

Vaughn is a better hitter presently with an elite approach and bat path along with plus power, and above average bat speed. Rutschman is a better athlete with a better body, so if you stuck him at 1B and projected them out as hitters, I think they are pretty even. Rutschman is probably never going to be as short to the ball as Vaughn, but Rutschman is a switch hitter with a touch more bat speed and power.

All of which is why I can't see the Orioles going with Vaughn over Rutschman. I just can't see a 5-11, right-handed first baseman going 1-1 no matter how good the bat is currently. 

Archived