Who is filling out the lineup?

wildcard

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note, and contrary to many statements in this post and others, I truly hope that Hyde has the opportunity to manage this team when it is ready to win.  He doesn't have to be a caretaker and I hope that Elias doesn't look at him that way.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

On a side note, and contrary to many statements in this post and others, I truly hope that Hyde has the opportunity to manage this team when it is ready to win.  He doesn't have to be a caretaker and I hope that Elias doesn't look at him that way.

That's assuming Elias is here when the team is ready to win.

53 minutes ago, interloper said:

I really do not understand what exactly is making you SO CERTAIN that Hyde will not fill out a lineup card? He's the manager! That's what he does!

I feel like I'm losing my mind. 

Anyone?

Wildcard sometimes you slip into a weird obsessive conspiracy certainty thing and I don't get it. Love you tho. 

Love wildcard too. I suspect he does it more to promote discussion (which this already 6 page thread has done.) Whether or not he truly believes it is anyone's guess...

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think its a interesting question because for 64 years the manager has decided who will be in the O's lineup.   Will that change?

You think Ray Miller had the authority to decide not to include Ripken in the lineup? 

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

So you think  who fills out the lineup changes when the O's are ready to win?

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Elias and Sig are trying to bring to this organization. It's not micromanagement, it's better information.

Every manager for as long as the resources have existed gets advanced scouting information from his front office. That concept is not changing now, but the information itself should be much better than before. Whereas Buck may have been provided data showing that Chris Davis had historical success off of David Price, our hope is that the information going to Hyde is much more useful for good decision making. 

I don't for one second think they hired Hyde to be a puppet for the front office. I think they hired him because he understands the way these people see the game and will enthusiastically implement a shared vision of how to manage based on that information. In that sense, it's absolutely true that Hyde will take information from the front office to build lineup cards and substitution plans. However, that doesn't mean he has any less authority or input than other successful managers. It just raises the bar for his input.

I'm sure there will be times when Elias says we are calling up x player and we are going to play them and I'm sure Hyde will agree with the plan. The goal is clearly to develop players for the next few years, not to eek out a few more wins. Hyde will not require an order to play young players. We all understand what's going to happen.  

Archived