Trezza 2/1/19: Will O's target star Cuban SS Sanchez?

Greg Pappas

2017 - SS Adam Hall $1.3 million (2nd round) DOB 05/22/99

2018 - SS Cody Grenier $1.9 million (1A round) DOB 10/31/96

SS Yolbert Sanchez DOB 03/??/97

They say Sancez is like a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Well if the dodgers are the next closest team with only $1.4 million to spend, I’d say he’s worth $1.4 million+. Just how much is that “+” going to be for him to sign with us. 

All signs point that we’re pretty happy to have Grenier. Well this guy has a little higher upside, and is 4-5 months younger. That tells me the $1.9 we gave Grenier to sign out of the draft makes a lot of sense here for Sanchez. 

That would really help out our SS depth which has been an area of concern. Martin and Jackson would be with the big team. With Grenier, Hall, and Yolbert Sanchez all in full season ball. Plus the possibility of nabbing a SS with the top pick. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I’m hoping he’s being coy about using the dollars to avoid showing his hand. Saying “well use all of our remaining pool on him if need be,” would demolish all negotiating leverage. 

Let’s say our evaluation is that he’s equivalent to Martin and Jackson. Would you spend $5 mm on him?

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s say our evaluation is that he’s equivalent to Martin and Jackson. Would you spend $5 mm on him?

That's a hard question to ask a fan because without the knowledge of opportunity cost of spending that money on Sanchez, it's easy to say just sign the guy. 

41 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That's a hard question to ask a fan because without the knowledge of opportunity cost of spending that money on Sanchez, it's easy to say just sign the guy. 

Agreed, but at some point they got to take a chance and spend some money down there. Not that it matters but Chris Davis is >50% of are likely OD payroll. We’re not even going to spend our full $6 million. So $2 million on this guy, seems fair. 

I believe we spent 750k on Urrutia, Alvarez, and Miranda. So it’s not even that much more. That is if $2 million is what it takes to get him to sign by July. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Agreed, but at some point they got to take a chance and spend some money down there. Not that it matters but Chris Davis is >50% of are likely OD payroll. We’re not even going to spend our full $6 million. So $2 million on this guy, seems fair. 

I believe we spent 750k on Urrutia, Alvarez, and Miranda. So it’s not even that much more. That is if $2 million is what it takes to get him to sign by July. 

I think you missed the point of my comment, I mean if it's spend 5M on Sanchez or invest 5M on a Venezualan academy once things settle down there, I'd go with the academy without a second thought. Opportunity cost, what would that 5M get spent on if not on Sanchez, maybe it wouldn't get spent at all, so it's hard to judge. 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I think you missed the point of my comment, I mean if it's spend 5M on Sanchez or invest 5M on a Venezualan academy once things settle down there, I'd go with the academy without a second thought. Opportunity cost, what would that 5M get spent on if not on Sanchez, maybe it wouldn't get spent at all, so it's hard to judge. 

Your point is well taken re: opportunity cost, however, I don’t think those options are mutually exclusive, particularly given cuts to ML payroll. 

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Your point is well taken re: opportunity cost, however, I don’t think those options are mutually exclusive, particularly given cuts to ML payroll. 

Those two options might not be mutually exclusive, but there is a budget, so there are opportunity costs. Elias is working within some financial constraints whether we agree with those constraints or not.

Unless there is team money earmarked for just IFA and nothing else (Elias made it sound like that’s not the case).

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

All signs point that we’re pretty happy to have Grenier. Well this guy has a little higher upside, and is 4-5 months younger. That tells me the $1.9 we gave Grenier to sign out of the draft makes a lot of sense here for Sanchez. 

Grenier can't hit.  From what I can tell Sanchez has a bit of a better hit tool but that's not saying much.

At any rate, I'm just glad we're trying to get some good prospects up the middle.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Has anyone said it will cost $5 mil to sign him?  My initial answer is NO, that's too much. But, I'd spend $2 and maybe more to some extent.

Archived