Cardinals a good match with Orioles for Sherrill

Roll Tide

Well what do they need? I thought they were offensively challenged and we don't have offense players to give up. We have 1 very high value closer and 1 good value BP reliever so far that have generated lots of interest.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe this is even being talked about - even by us. We've knocked around some crazy stuff, but this is insane. Did you miss the whole "Arrieta on the US Olympic Team" thing, or the fact that he was just pitching a 1-2-3 inning in the Futures All-Star Game??

JJ Hardy isn't that good! He's not worth 1/4 of Arrieta.

Hardy has the third best OPS of all ML SS's, is a solid defender and is only 25 and under control until after 2010. Arrieta may not even start in the majors. TNSTAAPP. Hardy for Arrieta is a no-brainer.

I can't believe this is even being talked about - even by us. We've knocked around some crazy stuff, but this is insane. Did you miss the whole "Arrieta on the US Olympic Team" thing, or the fact that he was just pitching a 1-2-3 inning in the Futures All-Star Game??

Im starting to agree with you boss. After watching Arritea a few times i truely believe we got the steal of the draft. Kid is going to be fantastic. But i would still trade him for Hardy and i would really consider Andrus as well. This is based on the other pitchers we have in the system. I can not wait to see what Matusz brings to the table. Tillman, Arritea, and Matusz are going to be alot of fun to watch. Along with the others young guys we have some fantastic pitching prospects. The other guy i love and think is gonna be fantastic is Butler. God, did we fleece the M's.

I don't mean to seem rude, truly, however this post is a bit hypocritical.

Arrieta for Andrus is NOT crazy, on any level, as Andrus is a well considered prospect, much like Arrieta. Debating whether or not that trade makes sense is fair, but not to the hyperbolic level you went to.

And then you did it again... JJ Hardy isn't worth 1/4 of Arrieta? 'Nuff said.

Hardy has the third best OPS of all ML SS's, is a solid defender and is only 25 and under control until after 2010. Arrieta may not even start in the majors. TNSTAAPP. Hardy for Arrieta is a no-brainer.

Until Arrieta wins a Cy Young and you say, "what did we just do?"

And I could give a rat's behind about OPS when it comes to shortstops. I'd rather have the best glove in the league than an average glove and an averag bat - even if the bat is above average for the position. A team is built up the middle first with good pitching, catching, MI, and a CF. The corner guys are the ones that are supposed to mash.

Or until he blows out his arm. TINSTAAPP. The Orioles luck with pitching should tell you that. Arrieta alone probably isn't enough to land Hardy anyway...

Or until he blows out his arm. TINSTAAPP. The Orioles luck with pitching should tell you that. Arrieta alone probably isn't enough to land Hardy anyway...

Then why is MacPhail's philosophy to pitch from within and get bats through FA? We don't have the surplus of arms that everyone thinks we do, or else we would be pitching better at the major league level. You have to have a million capable contingency plans for pitchers, and Arrieta is definitely part of that plan. Keep him and sign a FA SS or try and trade one of our bullpen arms for one.

I don't mean to seem rude, truly, however this post is a bit hypocritical.

Arrieta for Andrus is NOT crazy, on any level, as Andrus is a well considered prospect, much like Arrieta. Debating whether or not that trade makes sense is fair, but not to the hyperbolic level you went to.

And then you did it again... JJ Hardy isn't worth 1/4 of Arrieta? 'Nuff said.

Well then we -as fans - shouldn't be patting him on the back with one hand and pushing him out the door with the other. A rebuilding team doesn't trade prospects for veterans last time I checked.

I know this was a few pages back, but honestly what is peoples' obsession with Khalil Green around here? It hurts to read his stats.

3 years averages away from the park where all offense goes to die:

.273 .328 .828

33 HR in 740 AB

I would bet he gives us .250 25 .800 at worst while playing excellent defense.

And I could give a rat's behind about OPS when it comes to shortstops. I'd rather have the best glove in the league than an average glove and an averag bat - even if the bat is above average for the position. A team is built up the middle first with good pitching, catching, MI, and a CF. The corner guys are the ones that are supposed to mash.

Hardy's the combination of the two, a good glove and a good bat. And he's young enough so that he's not really a veteran player but somebody who still has his best years in front of him.

If we upgrade the rest of the offense, I guess we wouldn't need Hardy's bat, but we can fill two holes (one in the lineup and one in the field) with one player if we get him.

Hardy's the combination of the two, a good glove and a good bat. And he's young enough so that he's not really a veteran player but somebody who still has his best years in front of him.

If we upgrade the rest of the offense, I guess we wouldn't need Hardy's bat, but we can fill two holes (one in the lineup and one in the field) with one player if we get him.

He's not an old player, and if he was that good, a playoff contender wouldn't be shopping him around. If he was old, I could see them wanting to get some youth back, but I can't see them trading a quality young guy for a reliever.

Well then we -as fans - shouldn't be patting him on the back with one hand and pushing him out the door with the other. A rebuilding team doesn't trade prospects for veterans last time I checked.

I don't see Hardy as a full blown veteran. Also, you could/would trade away a couple of prospects where you are capable, in order to fill the much needed holes, if it can.

Not saying that particular trade would work, but the idea does work. Otherwise, you are left, to some extent, with what they are doing this year -- playing revolving shortstop.

3 years averages away from the park where all offense goes to die:

.273 .328 .828

33 HR in 740 AB

I would bet he gives us .250 25 .800 at worst while playing excellent defense.

The problem is the price. SD wants a ton for Greene.

George Sherrill (Baltimore?): Hey Buster, where am I going to be August 1st? What should my O's expect in return?

Buster Olney: (1:10 PM ET ) George: If I had to guess today (and that's all it is -- a guesstimate based on current conditions).

1. Milwaukee

2. Angels

Or 3. Orioles -- Baltimore just doesn't get an acceptable offer. But my guess is that the O's will deal him, because his value will never be higher than it is right now, and while Sherrill is pitching well and is a great, great story, nobody is going to forget that it wasn't long ago that he was an independent league pitcher; he does not have the pedigree of King Felix, as he would be the first to tell you.

The Angels are in the mix apparently. I wonder who they would be offering. It looks like we're going to get a pretty nice haul with all the teams clamoring for a lefty reliever with closer experience.

Archived