Cardinals a good match with Orioles for Sherrill

Roll Tide

I think that Colby Rasmus was quite overrated coming into this season. He had nice numbers last year at AA for a 20 year old, but all Texas League numbers are inflated. His numbers at AAA this year (around .250/.350/.430 at this point) are ok for a 21 year old, but Adam Jones put up much more impressive numbers last season in the same league and at the same age.

I think he's a good prospect and I'd be happy to get him back for Sherrill, but he's no Jay Bruce. He's still probably the Cards top prospect, but I'd be surprised if the scouting community still regarded him as a top 10 prospect in the game.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that Colby Rasmus was quite overrated coming into this season. He had nice numbers last year at AA for a 20 year old, but all Texas League numbers are inflated. His numbers at AAA this year (around .250/.350/.430 at this point) are ok for a 21 year old, but Adam Jones put up much more impressive numbers last season in the same league and at the same age.

I think he's a good prospect and I'd be happy to get him back for Sherrill, but he's no Jay Bruce. He's still probably the Cards top prospect, but I'd be surprised if the scouting community still regarded him as a top 10 prospect in the game.

Even more reason to get him plus another two players out of the Cards. LaRussa is desperate to get some bull pen help. A good time to get more than expected.

Yeah, and at no time would Jones have been available for Sherrill. We would be fleecing them to get Rasmus for Sherrill.

I know this was a few pages back, but honestly what is peoples' obsession with Khalil Green around here? It hurts to read his stats.

Agreed, his numbers would go up some due to switch in parks but he must be related to some people on this board to explain some of the packages that I see mentioned.

I think we would be better off trading Bradford to the Cards since they don't have much to offer and most likely will not end up parting with Rasmus. Lets try to move Sherrill to a team with more solid prospects and get the most value possible.

Sherrill and Huff 4 Wood and Adenhart/Walden.

I pull the trigger in a second. We might get them to talk about Adenhart with his recent struggles but that is a big might! I also wouldnt mind a package with Brandon Wood and Jordan Walden. To me if one of Walden or Adenhart are not involved i move on to the Cards, Brewers, or Red sox. Or maybe the halos would consider moving one of there young starters. Matt Sweeney 3B is another interesting prospect in the Halos system and he went to Magruder. I wouldnt mind seeing him in a O's uniform.

I pull the trigger in a second. We might get them to talk about Adenhart with his recent struggles but that is a big might! I also wouldnt mind a package with Brandon Wood and Jordan Walden. To me if one of Walden or Adenhart are not involved i move on to the Cards, Brewers, or Red sox. Or maybe the halos would consider moving one of there young starters. Matt Sweeney 3B is another interesting prospect in the Halos system and he went to Magruder. I wouldnt mind seeing him in a O's uniform.

I have to believe the Orioles can get a better package than that.

I'd take that package, but Adenhart is supposedly off the table. I also think Walden is a stretch for the Sherrill deal, but would be fun to pair with Arrieta/Butler/Bascom/Matusz

Im sorry, but i just dont agree and neither do most scouts. Rasmus is right there with Bruce. Bruce may be a little above him but not by much at all. Here are 2 links comparing both. Believe me Rasmus is going to be a star just like Bruce.

Here is a article comparing Bruce and Rasmus

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2008/3/3/132913/6209

Here is another article comparing Longoria, Bruce and Rasmus. I would say thats pretty good company. Now he is talking about baseball cards worth but still gives some very valid points. Rasmus is going to be a star and if we have a chance to land him we should be ALL over it.

http://completist.wordpress.com/2008/01/10/the-prospect-corner-with-adam-g-7/

You've got to factor in Rasmus' age when looking at him as a prospect. His numbers may not be that impressive in AAA but then you see he'll only be 22 in August. I'd put him on the same level of prospect as Adam Jones was, only I think Rasmus will be the better hitter.

Most clubs would disagree with you there, as a total of 3 top position prospects were traded for ace pitchers this offseason while numerous pitching prospects have been dealt.

Tillman, Butler and Mickolio for Bedard (Jones)

Anderson, Smith for Haren (Gonzalez)

Humber, Mulvey and Guerra for Santana (Gomez)

That's 3 top position prospects and 8 top pitchers. That just goes to show that teams are more willing to give up pitching in trades, and the reason is because young pitchers are so volatile. So on one hand you should stockpile as much as you can but because of the volatility you shouldn't be afraid to trade one because said pitcher could flame out if you kept them.

Arrieta is one of those arms that you don't quite know what he's going to do yet, but he's so well known know that you might be able to capitalize on his inflated value. If we could trade a bullpen arm for JJ. Hardy wouldn't you do that? Well that's all Arrieta might become. He hasn't even reached AA yet. At some point pitching prospects reach a certain value, and when they reach that point sometimes if you don't trade them, you are worse off because of TINSTAAPP...

I certainly don't disagree with you, but can you really put Hardy and Bedard on the same level? When he's healthy (which has obviously become a hurdle for him), Bedard is one of the best pitchers in MLB. I don't think Hardy is one of the best shortstops in baseball. You don't give up a lot for a guy that may not be your long-term solution.

I know everyone is sick of "ceiling" talk around here, but when you trade an unknown comodity for a known comodity, you try to make a trade for a player that has the similar ability as your unknown comodity's projected potential. IE, Jones is supposed to be a stud, so they traded him for a guy that's already a stud in Bedard.

Point being, we don't know much about Arrieta yet. He's still erratic, but has the "tools" scouts drool over. I think Hardy, although not a polished veteran, is about as good as he's going to get. At this point, I think you can still project Arrieta to be better than Hardy. When that changes and the Brewers are still interested, then pull the trigger.

Archived