Cardinals a good match with Orioles for Sherrill

Roll Tide

You've got to factor in Rasmus' age when looking at him as a prospect. His numbers may not be that impressive in AAA but then you see he'll only be 22 in August. I'd put him on the same level of prospect as Adam Jones was, only I think Rasmus will be the better hitter.

Exactly. Rasmus may not be on the same level as Bruce. However, Rasmus is likely at least equivalent to Adam Jones. Rasmus is probably more likely between Bruce and Jones when putting a prospect value for him. If we could get him for Sherrill it would be a steal.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. Rasmus may not be on the same level as Bruce. However, Rasmus is likely at least equivalent to Adam Jones. Rasmus is probably more likely between Bruce and Jones when putting a prospect value for him. If we could get him for Sherrill it would be a steal.

Would you trade Jones for Rasmus?

I have had my eye on Greene for awhile now. He hurt his knee last year right around the time that STL really thought he was turning a corner.

That being said his defense needs work and no way would I do straight up.

Greene, Perez, Reyes and Allen Craig might make me think though.

You can believe Rasmus will be AM's main focus. I highly doubt they'd trade a player off their active roster. That doesn't usually happen unless the conteding team got a better same position player. in othet words the SS we send back would need to be better than Greene & our comp would be a prospect or 2.

The idea that Sherrill by himself would get Rasmus is absolutely absurd! Anyone considering it is clearly delusional. :)

(1) Borrowing from another Cards fan's post at BOTB

[sherrill] vs. Lefties .178/.278/.267

vs. Righties .250/.354/.417 so the OPS is 0.771

29 saves - 6 blown saves - 83% save %

BTW, Everyday Eddie G has a 2.72 ERA, with 20 "holds" and 2 saves and no blown saves. His splits are:

vs. Lefties .192/.250/.327

vs. Rights .171/.232/.289

Fuentes, Guadardo, Morte, etc. there are a lot of other options on the market if the Cardinals are determined to go find another questionable candidate to be closer.

(2) The Cardinals starting rotation is at least as much of a problem as their rotation. While the starters have a great won-loss record, they're not going deep enough in games and they're putting too much pressure on a thin bullpen.

The only guy who was going 7-8 innings practically every time out was Wainwright, and he's still on the DL.

Wellemeyer was having a fantastic breakout season until his elbow began bothering him; he's back in the rotation, but hasn't recovered his touch yet.

Lohse (12-2) is really the only guy who's been pitching well consistently, but he's had a considerable degree of luck.

Pineiro was pretty good the first half, but also spent some time on the DL and has been inconsistent since returning.

In an effort to fill the #5 slot in the rotation, the Cards have tried rookies Parisi, Boggs, and Garcia, as well as Mulder. None of the rookies were quite ready; Mulder may never pitch again.

Carpenter had a pretty good rehab start at Springfield Sunday night; a few control issues, but he'll likely be able to work those out. Wainwright may be ready the first or second week of August. The Cards have to pull together a rotation from somewhere for the stretch run, and it will be difficult without these two.

(3) Rasmus might be available, but figure that you're not likely to pull him loose without some kind of a real impact player. Sabathia might have met the test if he had been locked up for 2009, but the fact that the Cards weren't rumored to be in on that bidding suggests a 2 month rental of Sabathia would not have been anywhere near enough. Joe Nathan probably would do the trick, but there's no evidence that the Twins would even consider that deal. I'm also not sure the Cards would be willing to take on the remainder Nathan's $47M contract; Isringhausen at $8M was pushing the limit for a closer.

The best proposal I saw was at an A's BLOG. I posted a thread discussing that. A's Fan BLOG on how to land Rasmus I can almost see doing that deal -- if the A's were to offer it.

By the way, the Cardinals farm system has been ranked pretty low the last several years, but it seems to have moved way up in the rankings the last year or two. We have more outfield prospects than we know what to do with -- we've been loaning them out to the Mexican League the past two years and playing outfielders at 1st base to make more room. The system also has a lot of blue chip pitching prospects, but I keep in mind how badly the 2004 Orioles class (Bedard, Riley, Maine, etc.) has turned out. We seem to be most thin in the middle infield, but we still have several genuine prospects -- Barden, Hoffpauir, Freese, Kozma, Martinez -- who may turn out to be viable major league middle infielders or 3rd basemen.

You should also understand that Cardinals ownership has made a commitment to developing young players and keeping them; that was a large part of the reason why Walt Jocketty got fired. It was Walt's insubordination after Bill DeWitt insisted that sabermetrician Jeff Luhnow become the director of the Cardinals farm system. You can find a series of articles about Luhnow, the organizational shakeup, and Luhnow's philosophy here, as well as discussion of many of the Cards prospects.

He's not an old player, and if he was that good, a playoff contender wouldn't be shopping him around. If he was old, I could see them wanting to get some youth back, but I can't see them trading a quality young guy for a reliever.

The Brewers are not shopping JJ Hardy right now. Where do people keep pulling this from?

ps.

Mat Gamel's name should not be mentioned in this thread.

Keep him.

Like this? http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/2008/07/22/mlb-astros-padres.html

Probably wouldn't make much difference anyhow.

So you'd rather continue to see the Cards bullpen continually fail and have them slip out of the playoff race when they are so close to going then to trade for a closer that you have under control for the next 3 seasons. Sherrill isn't a rental.

If the Cards don't get him I suspect the Brewers will...

If they don't want to give up Rasmus, they won't get Sherrill obviously but then Bradford is available. Perhaps a deal could be made there. Kozma for Bradford perhaps...

Archived