Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

57 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I'd rather have my 4/5 hitter driving in runs than drawing walks.

He has 2 hits and 8 walks in 25 PA with RISP. I'd gladly trade some OBP for RBI's.

Amen. Will these guys ever get tired of using that same old tired excuse? "But he walks." 

Davis isn't getting paid $21.8M annually to draw walks.

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I don't understand all the complaining. I think he's the best legally blind hitter in the big leagues. 

I seriously wondered if Davis had vision problems, since he often swings like it. But I ruled that out since someone with poor vision wouldn't be able to pick throws out of the dirt as effectively as he does.

5 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Amen. Will these guys ever get tired of using that same old tired excuse? "But he walks." 

Davis isn't getting paid $21.8M annually to draw walks.

I'm all for walks, walks are great.

But, for what he is making he needs to do some more damage to go along with those walks.

1 hour ago, blid said:

We let Nelson Cruz walk and then learned our lesson and locked up Davis and Trumbo. :skeletor:

That still kills me letting Cruz and Miller walk. We were a step away from the world series.

3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Yes, I do know that they traded for Jason Hammel. He was a 3 WAR pitcher in 2012.  They also got Lindstrom.  He was a .8 WAR pitcher for the 2012 Orioles.  Lindstrom was traded in season for Joe Saunders, also a .8 pitcher.  Add those three guys together and you get 4.6 WAR.  For Guthrie.  DD completely turned the pitching around in 2012.  Same core position players, plus a half year of Manny, as the 69 win 2011 team.

You said he played a small part.  I've shown that he brought in close to 8 wins on three pitching moves.  That's with giving him no credit for Chen.  Over 10 wins if you include him.  Is that a small part?

Fangraphs has those players combining for 5.7 WAR.  That's including Miggy but not Chen.  Would be 8 wins if you included Chen.  

5.7 out of 16.3 WAR that our pitcher's produced that year.  The position players combined for 12.7 WAR, of which DD contributed 1.8 between McClouth (1.2) and Betemit (0.6).  That's 7.5 WAR out of 29.  Nice contributions, yes.  But I give most of the credit to AM and Buck.  

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

I seriously wondered if Davis had vision problems, since he often swings like it. But I ruled that out since someone with poor vision wouldn't be able to pick throws out of the dirt as effectively as he does.

It's sound. He can hear the ball spin, hit the dirt, etc. it's his super power. 

6 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Fangraphs has those players combining for 5.7 WAR.  That's including Miggy but not Chen.  Would be 8 wins if you included Chen.  

5.7 out of 16.3 WAR that our pitcher's produced that year.  The position players combined for 12.7 WAR, of which DD contributed 1.8 between McClouth (1.2) and Betemit (0.6).  That's 7.5 WAR out of 29.  Nice contributions, yes.  But I give most of the credit to AM and Buck.  

So why did they only win 69 games the year before?  They had Buck.  They had the core.

5 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Ooops sorry he hit .221 for a full year last year, now he's hitting .226 so I guess he is trending up

.250 now.  If it keeps going up .029 points every few hours, he'll likely win the batting title.