Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Two years ago when Chris had a very good season preceding his big contract, he was hitting .208/.288/.423 as late as May 26.   His BA was .226 (same as now) as late as June 21.   That's why it's way premature to consider Davis doomed to have a bad season.    

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Weird how that core couldn't win in 2011.

DD didn't acquire Machado, O'Day and Strop.  He did acquire Chen but some on here credit AM for that.  I can't find any proof of that, so if someone can, I'd appreciate it.  The Hammel trade was nice, but I'd give DD a very small amount of the credit for 2012.  Most goes to AM and Buck.

22 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

DD didn't acquire Machado, O'Day and Strop.  He did acquire Chen but some on here credit AM for that.  I can't find any proof of that, so if someone can, I'd appreciate it.  The Hammel trade was nice, but I'd give DD a very small amount of the credit for 2012.  Most goes to AM and Buck.

No evidence anywhere that AM had anything to do with signing Chen.  Dan signed Wada, then traded for Dana Eveland, then signed Chen in winter offseason of 2011-2012. 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

No evidence anywhere that AM had anything to do with signing Chen.  Dan signed Wada, then traded for Dana Eveland, then signed Chen in winter offseason of 2011-2012. 

Yeah, I can't find anything either.  I know I've read on here that AM was the one who originally pushed for Chen, but that's been a while and I have no idea what thread it was in.  Maybe they made it up.  :noidea:

3 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Why did they only win 69 games the previous year?

Duquette's strength is building the edges of the roster.  Everything he touched that year worked.  

He brought in Ayala who gave them 160 ERA+ over 60 innings.  The Guthrie trade you mentioned turned into Joe Saunders. Paired with Lindstrom, that was 36.1 innings at 156 ERA+ and 44.2 innings at 117 ERA+.

So when you say that the Hammels trade was nice, I agree. 199 IP. 4.6 WAR.  Guthrie, 181.2 IP. 1.6 WAR.  So yeah, pretty nice.

Do we give DD credit for bringing in Gonzalez?

So even if you don't give him any credit for bringing in Chen, which is kind of weird to me, DD brought in (Gonzalez, Lindstrom, Ayala, and Saunders) 300+ IP that produced 7.7 WAR.

I've never believed that one has to pick one GM or the other.  AM did a great job of bringing in Davis, Jones, Tillman, Hardy.  He didn't bring in O'Day.  Three of the four I mentioned could have left by now.  They haven't.

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

So when you say that the Hammels trade was nice, I agree. 199 IP. 4.6 WAR.

You realize that he traded for Jason Hammel, not Cole Hamels, right?  Those are ace numbers.  Jason Hammel certainly was not an ace in 2012.

I'm not arguing that DD hasn't added some nice short-term pieces.  I'm arguing with your statement that he's the one who rescued this org from purgatory.  He was given a fantastic core of players when he got the job.

25 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

You realize that he traded for Jason Hammel, not Cole Hamels, right?  Those are ace numbers.  Jason Hammel certainly was not an ace in 2012.

I'm not arguing that DD hasn't added some nice short-term pieces.  I'm arguing with your statement that he's the one who rescued this org from purgatory.  He was given a fantastic core of players when he got the job.

Yes, I do know that they traded for Jason Hammel. He was a 3 WAR pitcher in 2012.  They also got Lindstrom.  He was a .8 WAR pitcher for the 2012 Orioles.  Lindstrom was traded in season for Joe Saunders, also a .8 pitcher.  Add those three guys together and you get 4.6 WAR.  For Guthrie.  DD completely turned the pitching around in 2012.  Same core position players, plus a half year of Manny, as the 69 win 2011 team.

You said he played a small part.  I've shown that he brought in close to 8 wins on three pitching moves.  That's with giving him no credit for Chen.  Over 10 wins if you include him.  Is that a small part?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

RBIs are circumstantial. He's still posting a .330 OBP. His bat will come around. Everyone here knows that Davis does everything in streaks.

I'd rather have my 4/5 hitter driving in runs than drawing walks.

He has 2 hits and 8 walks in 25 PA with RISP. I'd gladly trade some OBP for RBI's.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought that was Drungo's theory of batting order placement and who bats before and after you, doesnt change how the hitter actually performs?

I didn't do the work and I don't think Drungo did either.

So the concept doesn't belong to either one of us.

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

58 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I don't know about AM, but the O's were aggressively targeting Chen before DD arrived.    The first time I heard Chen's name was  in reports of a talk Buck gave at some fan event that offseason before DD was hired.   

• Upvote 1