Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

we got to whine and complain about something.

Adam is walking more and striking out less, so we can't get on that bandwagon.

The team is far from perfect and not hitting (no pun intended) on all cylinders yet.

Regardless, the team does have the best record in the AL, and is in First in the AL East.

26 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Talk to me when he goes on a home run binge over the next two months. Or when he saves approximately 4 errors per game at first base. 

Also maybe look up the definition of stealing. 

If he does all of that, he will still be grossly overpaid

It was a franchise crushing contract. I'm guessing he will be DFA'ed with multiple years left on it

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Talk to me when he goes on a home run binge over the next two months. Or when he saves approximately 4 errors per game at first base. 

Also maybe look up the definition of stealing. 

Please. He's a very good defensive player, but you don't get the contract he got for good defense. I have a feeling the days of him going off for a month or two are over. Yeah, he'll hit a few, but he won't go on a tear. Hell, with the contract he signed, why only 2 months? The season's 6 months.

With that being said, I would be very happy to be wrong.

Edited by ORIOLE33

Well I started the thread not to complain but to look at the numbers and determine if he is a changing player or can we expect some regression toward the mean.  The LD% would indicate that he should be having a better year than 5 RBI.  Why isn't he?  Is it the shift?

Did he have similar numbers last April?

I love his defense this year.  I mean he's probably saved 3 games with his picks alone.

17 minutes ago, dan-O said:

I don't think that "Chris Davis is stealing from the Orioles" is a legitimate point. He started hot and and is in a cold spell at the moment. I really don't see what the big deal is. 

The post I quoted from you came before that post. 

8 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Fair enough. The whining comment was a bit much on my part. 

Early on in the season Davis was going to LF a lot and it had me pretty excited. I hope he gets back to that approach soon. But I agree that the days of Davis hitting more than 40 bombs are probably over. He'll hit 30+ for sure, though.

He hit 38 last year and 47 the year before. I don't see any reason he can't hit 40+ again.

Completely agree with you that the burden of his contact is completely overblown by fans. Enough of it is deferred that it doesn't sting as bad as if it were $23 per.

I'm not arguing that it is a good contract or was at the time, but I'm optimistic that Chris can still provide solid production and some monster months.

39 minutes ago, dan-O said:

I don't think that "Chris Davis is stealing from the Orioles" is a legitimate point. He started hot and and is in a cold spell at the moment. I really don't see what the big deal is. 

For the contract he has, Davis is stealing from the O's. I believe it's $161M/7 years. That's $23M per. Dude is grossly overpaid for the production he generates. Yes, he's going to connect on a few and everybody will lose their minds. But between his hot streaks, there's an awful lot of nothing.

We're not the Yankees. It's harder for us to overcome a $161M mistake.

Edited by ORIOLE33

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:10 PM, baltfan said:

Can someone show me where I can find statistics on called third strikes?   I really am curious if I am just nuts in thinking his percentage is very high

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, Frobby said:

He set the record for most called strikeouts last year, and is on pace to beat that record this year.   

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:34 AM, baltfan said:

Glad you found this for me.  Looks like he is in the top 10 in percentage of K's looking, but he isn't that horrendous.   But if you look at it from a total perspective, like Frobby says it isn't pretty.  

Last year, Davis struck out looking 79 times, which so far as I was able to determine, broke the previous record by more than 10 (there is no official record for this, but the highest I could find was Adam Dunn, who struck out looking 66 times in 2004).    This year, Davis has struck out looking 18 times in 25 games, which is on pace for 117 times this season.    It's to the point now where it's really bothering me, more than his swinging strikeouts, which of course are plentiful.   

With that said, I'm far from pushing the panic button on Davis.    He's a streaky guy and can explode at any time.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Last year, Davis struck out looking 79 times, which so far as I was able to determine, broke the previous record by more than 10 (there is no official record for this, but the highest I could find was Adam Dunn, who struck out looking 66 times in 2004).    This year, Davis has struck out looking 18 times in 25 games, which is on pace for 117 times this season.    It's to the point now where it's really bothering me, more than his swinging strikeouts, which of course are plentiful.   

With that said, I'm far from pushing the panic button on Davis.    He's a streaky guy and can explode at any time.

What would make you push the panic button?

It's an awful contract even if he was an average of the 2015 and 2016 Davis

The problem is he is in rapid decline (like many 30 yo sluggers), and apparently can't adjust to the shift. If he learned how to hit line drives and ground balls to LF he might save his career.

He may hit 30 HRs, he may  bat .220 and he may get an OBP of .330, but that is still sorry productivity for a guy making 21.8 million/year, and the 33,34,35 yo Chris Davis will really be something to panic over.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

What would make you push the panic button?

It's an awful contract even if he was an average of the 2015 and 2016 Davis

The problem is he is in rapid decline (like many 30 yo sluggers), and apparently can't adjust to the shift. If he learned how to hit line drives and ground balls to LF he might save his career.

He may hit 30 HRs, he may  bat .220 and he may get an OBP of .330, but that is still sorry productivity for a guy making 21.8 million/year, and the 33,34,35 yo Chris Davis will really be something to panic over.

I don't like the contract, but I think there's a decent chance Davis can be worth his salary in the first few years.    I agree the back end could be a disaster (which is the main reason I don't like the deal).

The team is 27 games in. Essentially a month of the season. I suppose you could say the hotter Manny or Trumbo gets, the more pitches Chris will see to hit. My concerns are he simply isn't squaring up and driving the balls when he does make contact. I get slumps, but this has been prolonged (6) RBI and (3) HR's while striking out 43% of the time. Any thoughts as to what the team or he could do. You wouldn't flip him with Schoop in the lineup would you? 6th or 7th? Jonathan known for not always making contact has only struck out 19% of the time. Not great but the balls are going in play.. I don't think the sky is falling, since chris contributes in other ways. But batting him 4th or 5th when he isn't making contact is magnified when other players are driving the ball yet...

Edited by 21xxxv
  • Upvote 1