Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think we'll ever be able to trade him.  Maybe if we eat a lot of the salary.  But while Davis is capable of such highs his lows are too low.  

So very low. And his bat speed was down. I think he needs to use his supplements again. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

Has any player ever had that profile?    I think it’s almost impossible to hit .330 with 35 homers and only put up a .350 OBP.    Heck, finding guys who hit .330 with 35 homers is pretty hard.  This decade, only three players have done it (Charlie Blackmon, Bryce Harper and Miguel Cabrera twice).   They all had OBP’s of .393 or better.

Totally true. I like watching baserunners in motion. I knew his stats wouldn't be .330/.350, but the person I was reminded of was Vladdy. I did check his stats before I made the post. Pitchers were so scared of him he still garnered 60 walks per year. His career BA/OBA = .318/.379.

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

I know this was something of a joke, but to be clear:

1.   Davis did strike out swinging 120 times, compared to 75 times looking; and 

2.   After reaching a full count, Davis walked 41 times, while striking out only 36 times.

Accordingly, I don’t think swinging at every 2-strike pitch would be an improvement     

True, I was speaking tongue and cheek; but I honestly don't know that I ever remember a non-pitcher taking so many strikes down the heart of the plate then he did last year (not necessarily all with two strike counts). So if he can fix this mental issue he could bounce back.

17 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

True, I was speaking tongue and cheek; but I honestly don't know that I ever remember a non-pitcher taking so many strikes down the heart of the plate then he did last year (not necessarily all with two strike counts). So if he can fix this mental issue he could bounce back.

Me neither; in fact, since he set the all time record for taking a called strike three, I think we can assume he probably took more that were relatively down the middle than any player ever has.   

My big worry is that it may not really be a mental issue.    It may be the result of slowing reflexes and bat speed that are causing him to have to make a decision on pulling the trigger sooner than he used to.    And if that’s the case, tilting the decisions towards “swing” rather than “take” a little more will result in fewer called strike threes, but will increase the number of swinging strikeouts, and the net result may be a wash or worse.    I hope that concern is musfounded, but we’ll see.

On 2/8/2018 at 10:07 AM, bird watcher said:

Obviously with his salary he will be given every opportunity. I do however believe there has to be some degree of awfulness/time being awful that would be just too much to over look.  What does that look like for you?  Say he has an identical year to last year.  Does he start all year?  or does his playing time diminish?  What if he is worse?  How bad would it have to get and for how long?  Is it even possible this year or does he have to be awful into next year?

My take is that as long as he is performing above average defensively he will be the starting first baseman all year.  Buck will stick with him longer than I think most here would want.  

JMHO his defense will keep him in the lineup, besides with that contract we're really stuck with him like it or not...

8 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think he'll hit 45 bombs and like... 89 RBI.

Only 89 RBIs with 45 homers?! Will Davis be batting ninth behind Joseph and Mullins?
He's got to have more RBIs than 89 if he hits that many HRs, I would think. He tallied 117 RBIs when he hit 47 HRs and totaled 138 RBIs when he hit 53. If he only gets 89 RBIs, it means he probably did not top 35 HRs.