Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'd trade 1 home run for 3 all day. 

If I'm the Yankees I'm scared of Judge, too. 40+ homer seasons just don't repeat in today's game all that often. See: Davis, Trumbo. 

Judge walks enough that if he stays healthy he should provide solid value going forward.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Judge walks enough that if he stays healthy he should provide solid value going forward.

True, although that's what we said about Davis for awhile. Walks! Defense! Granted, Judge is obviously in another league as far as OBP goes. 

Just now, interloper said:

True, although that's what we said about Davis for awhile. Walks! Defense! Granted, Judge is obviously in another league as far as OBP goes. 

Judge can also be non-tendered during the offseason and is making at or near the league minimum. 

Stanton is just in a slump. He’s from California who has played his career in Miami. It has been unseasonably cold this April. Once the temperature rises, he’ll be OK. 

Davis isn’t getting any better. He’ll hit slightly above 200, and the days of him hitting 40 or more HR’s and being “Crush” is a thing of the past.

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Davis is trying, he just can’t hit velocity anymore. He’s probably best off cheating and starting his swing early to get on time for a FB and hope to run into something.

I just don't understand what in the world has happened.  He was never great, but he's turned into an automatic out at a still relatively young age.

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

I just don't understand what in the world has happened.  He was never great, but he's turned into an automatic out at a still relatively young age.

I'm hearing he may have tore his ACL breaking the bat last night...

I have a question about Chris Davis.

His worst year was 2014 (.196/.300/.404 with 26 homers in 450 AB).

He followed that up with a 47 homer season before declining progressively the two seasons after that.

In 2014, did we think he was done as a player in the same way we do now? If not, why not?

12 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

See Ryan Howard, it’s not unprecedented. Davis is a guy that never had much margin of error with his hit tool, so any loss in bat speed or athleticism as he ages is magnified.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

See Ryan Howard, it’s not unprecedented. Davis is a guy that never had much margin of error with his hit tool, so any loss in bat speed or athleticism as he ages is magnified.

What's weird to me is he seems to still be able to get around on pitches enough to pull them into the shift. If seems to be more a case of not making good enough contact. If he can still pull balls, he should still be able to let the ball travel and blast them out of the park the opposite way, no? 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I have a question about Chris Davis.

His worst year was 2014 (.196/.300/.404 with 26 homers in 450 AB).

He followed that up with a 47 homer season before declining progressively the two seasons after that.

In 2014, did we think he was done as a player in the same way we do now? If not, why not?

interesting question.  Here are my two cents.

In 2014, we had not committed millions of dollars long term to Davis, so whether we thought he was done as a player back then or not, he was not under the microscope as much in general that year.  If he was done in 2014, then he'd walk after 2015 and we'd move on.

Also, Chris was only 28 in 2014.  I guess some thought it was just an off-year for him and he'd bounce back.  Now that he's 32 (still, not that old), it seems like there is little time for him to revert back to form in that manner.

As a smaller point, Davis was good in 2012, great in 2013, and bad in 2014.  Now, he's been bad in 2016 and 2017, so it's been a longer sense of bad IMO.

7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Agreed.  Beating a dead horse, but this is why I and so many on here were so upset when they gave him seven years.

When Alex Cobb's contract is up, Davis will still be under contract here.