Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

21 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Chris Davis has like 25Ks in his last 50 ABs... and 2 hits! 

Wow. Just wow. He's got to be so ashamed of himself. 

Did he get his numbers and therefore his contract while using "the juice" ? Only he knows. If he did, then he needs to retire and give us half that money back at least. 

I'll be curious to see the reaction he gets today on opening day. I expect polite clapping. I'll hope for dead silence. 

Boooooooooooo!!!!!!! 

3 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

When I was maybe 10 to 12, playing unorganized baseball (we didn't have any organized ball, other than in school), the supreme compliment to a batter was for the defense to say to the OFs, "Sink out, heavy hitter." That gave rise, to "Sink in, lousy hitter." Since boys are always looking to ratchet up the insults (and somewhere in there Eddie Feigner's four-man softball team showed up on Wide World of Sports), that led to OFers sitting down or gathering in one spot and talking among themselves, not because they wanted to but just to try to make the batter feel bad. (I was in neither category, but if the other team had moved the LF and CF in so they were backing up the SS hole and the 2B bag, they would have taken away the majority of my hits.) I don't think "adjustments" was in our baseball vocabulary.)

I've thought about that often when Davis came up last season and especially this year in ST. Are there guys in the field thinking stuff like "It's hot out here. I could use some water," or "This would be a good time to pee" or "I wish I could use this break in the action to make a few phone calls," figuring that they wouldn't be missed since odds of Davis both making contact and hitting the ball to them are so small. 

Seriously though, I wonder if we'll ever see more unorthodox shifts against him. Especially with the game on the line. You don't really need 4 infielders when he's up as he rarely hits the ball on the ground to the left side, if ever.

Man Hyde is cruel, I would have spared Davis the embarrassment of hitting against a lefty in front what will probably be the largest crowd of the season.

Maybe it will seem okay as the Yankee fans will be cheering for him, and drown out any boos from the O's fans.

3 minutes ago, Natty said:

This new regime is all about analytics. Davis has the money analytic keeping him in the lineup. 

More likely the game that Hyde removed Davis from the line-up he received a call from ownership telling him not to make that mistake again. 

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

More likely the game that Hyde removed Davis from the line-up he received a call from ownership telling him not to make that mistake again. 

My mom always tells the story of working as a paralegal in Towson, walking to her office past Angelos’ law office one morning and a telephone went flying out the window onto the sidewalk. He wasn’t happy that morning.

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

I'm sure when they first hired Elias and Hyde, ownership had a specific talk about the Davis situation. I wonder what they said exactly...

8 minutes ago, Natty said:

I'm sure when they first hired Elias and Hyde, ownership had a specific talk about the Davis situation. I wonder what they said exactly...

Evidently Hyde only spoke to Elias and Sig during the interview.  They had a long talk about it during he ESPN broadcast about how all his other interviews were 8 hours long but he just had a 2 hour interview with Sig and Elias and was offered the job. 

3 minutes ago, Natty said:

I wonder what kind of ovation the home crowd fans give Davis today? 

They Booed Kevin Gregg on opening day. They booed Kim on opening day. I  expect Davis gets the same treatment.