Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, NashLumber said:

When you look at the final year or two of “the greats” on a baseball card or on baseballreference, you see those really sad subpar years with fewer AB and simply “far below their prime” numbers. What followed immediately after was retirement. 

Davis is there. Davis is not “a great”. His defense does not do enough to counterbalance the near record dearth of offense. He needs to hang it up. 

Brooks 1975: .541 OPS

Brooks 1976: .548 OPS

Brooks 1977: .467 OPS

12 hours ago, weams said:

I'd love to know what is on CD's mind right now. It has got to be obvious to him that it is over. I'm not sure I have ever seen a MLB player look so lost and overmatched at the plate, let alone a former all-star and HR leader. I don't know how a self-respecting person can keep collecting a paycheck while performing so poorly. I had to watch the game on YES today, and they had a long talk about how unprecedentedly awful the whole Davis situation is. Every series I'm sure the opposing media is doing the same. It's got to be embarrassing.  

I'd like to think he will retire soon and work out some sort of buyout with the Orioles. But then again I have no idea what his mindset is; maybe he has surrounded himself with people that have convinced him he is still going to turn it around. Maybe he is delusional. Maybe (probably) there are mental issues. Chris has always seemed like a nice fellow, I'd like to think he will own it eventually. But, like the song says, money changes everything. 

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Brooks 1975: .541 OPS

Brooks 1976: .548 OPS

Brooks 1977: .467 OPS

To be fair, Brooks had had a decent 1974 (.728, AS, GG, 12th in MVP) and appeared in only 71 and 24 games in the last two seasons you cited.

11 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

He wasn’t expecting to be boo’d? These tone deaf comments give me no hope he will walk away.

Well this shows he is being either incredibly arrogant or very delusional about his situation.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

He is nine at bats from tying the record for most at bats without a hit. If Davis can break the record maybe then the Orioles bench him? ?‍♂️

I was going to say 9 at bats is a long way away but the way he has been striking out he might just make it.  

3 hours ago, NashLumber said:

When you look at the final year or two of “the greats” on a baseball card or on baseballreference, you see those really sad subpar years with fewer AB and simply “far below their prime” numbers. What followed immediately after was retirement

Davis is there. Davis is not “a great”. His defense does not do enough to counterbalance the near record dearth of offense. He needs to hang it up. 

Barry Bonds had a 1.045 OPS in his last year at 42. 

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, I'm not looking to blame Hyde or Elias... yet, but I think it's at the point where fans have been put in the situation where it's reasonable to boo the hell out of Davis - showing management that they won't take it anymore.  I've never seen anything like this.  We've already put up with him being the worst player in baseball history last year.  His swing looks even worse than last year.  Enough is enough.  

I think it is kind of funny now.  I expect people to boo him but I kind of laugh every time he strikes out. Maybe they can play some silly music every time Davis strikes out.  Maybe we can make some slapstick moments out of it. Like Davis pants fall down when he swings.  Put a clown nose on him.  Give him huge shoes.  Have fun with it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Only time I have an issue with fans booing is when management encourages the booing of their own players.

Other than that, it's your money boo away.

Is that a reference to Kim? I was at that OD game, and was annoyed that fans were booing him. 

Just now, atomic said:

Well then it isn't the real record. What is it if you include pitchers?

I don't know, but I would count pitchers for this record since they are supposed to suck at hitting.  Eugenio Velez has the record (for now) among position players.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/171872558/legacy-eugenio-velez-0-for-46-longest-hitless