Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, TheOtherRipken said:

I was squarely in the party of continuing to give him a chance, but I’ve watched him argue clear down the middle hanging breaking pitches for strikeouts with umps in games this season. There is something seriously wrong with him and I’m not sure anyone can explain it or fix it. It goes way beyond bat speed and diminishing physical ability.

Does anyone know whether Davis has considered getting psychological counseling or therapy?

21 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've sought it out for myself because I've had to watch him.

Maybe get help for it in a group setting.  Perhaps Orioles Anonymous with JTrea...... (on second thought, that's not the healthiest person to be around :bangwall:)

• Haha 1

I had the impression that maybe he'd started turning a corner, but my impression is wrong.  He's hitting below .200 in April, May and June, and he's hitting below .200 in his last 7, his last 15 and his last 30 games.   He's hitting .190 with a .292 OBP in his last 7 games, better than the rest of the season but still terrible, and his SLG over that span is also .190.  

So there's no reason for hope no matter how hard you look.  Time to cut bait.  Sunk costs are sunk.  

38 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Watching Chris Davis bat is like watching a car crash.  You shouldn't be watching, but it's too hard to look away from the disaster.  Get rid of him already.

Until Mouncastle is ready it makes no difference to me if he is on the team.  They get blown out with him in the lineup and they get blown out with him out of the line up.

I don

25 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Either start pumping him up full of roids or end this experiment. 

I don't understand what happened. Was Davis on steroids when he signed the contract and now he's off of them, and reverting to his natural ability of hitting .150?  Or maybe he suddenly just lost it, like Dale Murphy completely stopped hitting when he was in his early 30's and was released.

I think the Orioles benching Davis may shame him into a buy out deal. This has got to be embarrassing and humiliating for him.  Maybe he agrees to retire if the Orioles pay 50 percent of his remaining contract, something like that. 

2 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

I don

I don't understand what happened. Was Davis on steroids when he signed the contract and now he's off of them, and reverting to his natural ability of hitting .150?  Or maybe he suddenly just lost it, like Dale Murphy completely stopped hitting when he was in his early 30's and was released.

I think the Orioles benching Davis may shame him into a buy out deal. This has got to be embarrassing and humiliating for him.  Maybe he agrees to retire if the Orioles pay 50 percent of his remaining contract, something like that. 

I think it is likely Davis just lost it in his early 30's, and possibly a combination of what meds he is allowed to take now by MLB for his ADHD. He is noticeably slower than he was in 2013-2015.  

Yeah I guess Davis just is washed up earlier than most.  I looked up Dale Murphy and he actually hit .252 with 18 HR when he was 35.

Nothing like when he was in his prime, but I'd take 18 HR and .252 from Davis now.  Then Murphy  hit .161 and .143 his last two years in very limited playing time before the  Rockies gave up on him and he was released.

At least Murphy's  teams stopped playing him when he started hitting like a pitcher. 

Richie Sexson was a prolific slugger in his 20's and stopped hitting at age 32.  Ryan Howard also at 32. Adam Dunn fell off a cliff in his 30's.  None of them as bad as Davis.  But a hard decline in the early 30's is a common theme among these lumbering first basemen. 

Almost as if you could have seen this coming when we signed him as a free agent.