Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The strike out pitch where he just flailed completely at it was pretty bad too.

But yeah...He needed to make some type of contact and get a run in.

Did Davis miss the ball to the degree where John Kruk commented a few days ago that he’d never seen a player miss that bad on a swing?

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Did Davis miss the ball to the degree where John Kruk commented a few days ago that he’d never seen a player miss that bad on a swing?

He was a bit closer, but more by accident. He seemed to swing before the ball left the pitchers hand.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What I saw from Davis today was very concerning.    It’s one thing to go 0 for 3 with two strikeouts, but those were terrible at bats.    Particularly annoying to me was when the O’s had a runner on 3B, nobody out and Davis took a 1-1 pitch that was outside half, top of the strike zone — perfect sac fly material.   Strike 3 was a close pitch but strike 2 was the RBI opportunity.

I’m trying as hard as I can to keep an open mind, but Davis looks as bad as last year or worse.   

When contracts are guaranteed (even for illegal supplement use), you tend to run into these issues.

Is there any chance at all he is cut sooner than later? 

If not, they should see what he has a pitcher....and not kidding.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

What about a psychologist? The eyes does seem a little too obvious, but the mental aspect shouldn’t be overlooked.

While I’m sure they can’t mandate anything, you’d think Davis would want to try anything. 

IMO it has nothing to do with that. He doesn't have anywhere near enough batspeed to hit major league FBs at this point in his career. If you throw 92+ he's whiffing. And on top of that, he has terrible plate coverage. Anything inside, he's turning on and grounding into the shift. Anything on the outside, he's caught looking. He's just the worst player in baseball and really there's nothing the O's can do except cut him loose in the middle of this season or hope he retires.

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

IMO it has nothing to do with that. He doesn't have anywhere near enough batspeed to hit major league FBs at this point in his career. If you throw 92+ he's whiffing. And on top of that, he has terrible plate coverage. Anything inside, he's turning on and grounding into the shift. Anything on the outside, he's caught looking. He's just the worst player in baseball and really there's nothing the O's can do except cut him loose in the middle of this season or hope he retires.

Well, it’s not just bat speed. He looks lost up there or confused.

I’d love it if they cut him tomorrow too, but with no expectations for the team this year they’re not punting on the rest of his contract without trying some fixes first.

• Upvote 2

I am not an expert on hitting but anyone can see that Davis just doesn’t seem ready when the ball is released.  If you watch him he starts to lower his hands and in conjunction lowers his head just as the ball is about to come out of the pitcher.’s hand.  He then seems like he isn’t ready to pull the trigger.  It seems he uses this for timing, but it isn’t working  

For the life of me, I don’t know why they wouldn’t just get him to load sooner.  The guy is always late or just clueless. 

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

What about a psychologist? The eyes does seem a little too obvious, but the mental aspect shouldn’t be overlooked.

While I’m sure they can’t mandate anything, you’d think Davis would want to try anything. 

He can't even humble himself enough to retool his swing and you think he'll willingly see a psychiatrist?

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It could be more of a mental thing by this point, like a hitting version of the yips.

If your head is moving and your hands are moving back as the ball is being released, that is only going to work if you are ridciulously quick like Sheffield.  At this point, the should have him almost like Frank Robinson who had his bat sitting, flat almost, and loaded. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

If your head is moving and your hands are moving back as the ball is being released, that is only going to work if you are ridciulously quick like Sheffield.  At this point, the should have him almost like Frank Robinson who had his bat sitting, flat almost, and loaded. 

Despite a swing that's both too long and too slow, his biggest issue isn't really being late to the ball.  He appears to have no mental processing at all.  Pure guess hitting, not only at pitch type but possibly location too.  To say nothing of a horrid swing path.  Based on the evidence we have, which is admittedly less than the team has, he doesn't seem to give a damn either.  He will not get better.  He will be a negative influence.  He needs to go.