Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

4 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Despite a swing that's both too long and too slow, his biggest issue isn't really being late to the ball.  He appears to have no mental processing at all.  Pure guess hitting, not only at pitch type but possibly location too.  To say nothing of a horrid swing path.  Based on the evidence we have, which is admittedly less than the team has, he doesn't seem to give a damn either.  He will not get better.  He will be a negative influence.  He needs to go.

I think this “doesn’t give a damn” nonsense needs to stop.   He’s trying.    He’s not succeeding.   

• Upvote 2

I remember a story of Mark McGwire saying he was struggling badly with the A’s and some fan yelled at him before an at-bat, “The pigeon toe, go back to the pigeon toe.”   Said it fixed him.  Would love osome to just yell to Davis load sooner.  It would at least give him a little more time to make up his mind. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think this “doesn’t give a damn” nonsense needs to stop.   He’s trying.    He’s not succeeding.   

Yeas, I agree if anything he cares too much. My hope is that the new regime is letting him see what he is doing isnt working and will convince him to try a different approach. 

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

I remember a story of Mark McGwire saying he was struggling badly with the A’s and some fan yelled at him before an at-bat, “The pigeon toe, go back to the pigeon toe.”   Said it fixed him.  Would love osome to just yell to Davis load sooner.  It would at least give him a little more time to make up his mind. 

Or hook him up with Miguel Tejada and his vitamin B shots. ?

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Miggy's deal might end up worse.

Harper's deal probably ends up being the worst.  Even if you get 5 or 6 solid seasons out of him the last 7 or 8 will be terrible at a much higher salary.  He can't play defense now wait until he slows down. Struck out a ton last year.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Has his swing and batting stance changed since last season?  I haven't seen him but if everything is the same I would say he isn't trying. 

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

Has his swing and batting stance changed since last season?  I haven't seen him but if everything is the same I would say he isn't trying. 

It’s true his swing does basically look the same. 

20 minutes ago, atomic said:

I watched 1 game. He wasn't watching the ball at all, just swinging and hoping to make contact. The phillies announcers made a comment along the lines of how badly he was missing the pitch. Even the pitches he took, he didn't follow the path of the baseball with his eyes.

21 minutes ago, atomic said:

Harper's deal probably ends up being the worst.  Even if you get 5 or 6 solid seasons out of him the last 7 or 8 will be terrible at a much higher salary.  He can't play defense now wait until he slows down. Struck out a ton last year.  

I don't even like Harper, but I'm not going to sit here and let you compare him to Chris Davis in any capacity. Yes his Ks were up last year, but he also walked 130 times and had a OBP of nearly .400 (again). I also don't think he's a -3 DWAR player. Last season seems more like an outlier in that regard. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't even like Harper, but I'm not going to sit here and let you compare him to Chris Davis in any capacity. Yes his Ks were up last year, but he also walked 130 times and had a OBP of nearly .400 (again). I also don't think he's a -3 DWAR player. Last season seems more like an outlier in that regard. 

Not comparing him to Chris Davis at all.  I figure he will get 5 or 6 seasons of being an above average ball player.  Problem is his contract is 13 years long.   7 bad years is worse than 6 bad years.  

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Yeas, I agree if anything he cares too much. My hope is that the new regime is letting him see what he is doing isnt working and will convince him to try a different approach. 

Good luck with that.  He has said in a number of interviews essentially  that A. He is not a fan of analytics.  B. He does not think rebuilding his swing or changing his approach  is necessary or that it is ever going to happen.

And the team has zero leverage to require him to change anything.  I think it is just going to be an exact repeat of his performance until the Brothers let Elias know when he can be cut.  Probably not this year, maybe next. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I don't see a difference.  I see him rushing the bat head out to try to pull fastballs.   I had hoped to see fastballs getting deep and being driven middle away.   Seeing the ball longer to chase less and have some hope of detecting a breaking ball.  

• Upvote 1