Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

6 minutes ago, Natty said:

What if Davis cant  get his avg above .200 in spring training? What do we do?

Not even sure .200 is the question.     He’s hitting .083 right now.   He hit .168 last season.    Honestly, if he hit .190 this spring with a few dingers I’d throw a party.    

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Please explain.

(For the record, I agree.  He's not released before opening day)

His defense is pretty solid. He did hit one HR already.  I am not saying that he does not have any issues but we got to just stop jumping the gun saying he is done and going to be released based on a very small sample size of ST ABs... and again he had 2 K's against a decent lefty with a really nasty slider.  Let's see how he does once the starters start playing on a daily basis...... jeeeessssh  :skeletor:

Chris Davis and that contract is here for at least 1-2 more seasons.

10 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

LOL, All the OH GM's and coaches here....... Please explain??? .... The Orioles owe him $85MM +$42M deferred money until 2037 so he is not going any where.  We are not even going to be some what competitive this year at all.  There is obviously some talent in him, give him some freaking time man, not just 12 ST ABs.

There is ZERO chance that he is released before opening day. 

I rather he would be released. But I do agree with you.

10 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

His defense is pretty solid. He did hit one HR already.  I am not saying that he does not have any issues but we got to just stop jumping the gun saying he is done and going to be released based on a very small sample size of ST ABs... and again he had 2 K's against a decent lefty with a really nasty slider.  Let's see how he does once the starters start playing on a daily basis...... jeeeessssh  :skeletor:

I think his defense has regressed quite a bit.  

We'll have to agree to disagree, I think he's toast.

Even if he rebounds to a .700 OPS (which would be a 161 point improvement), there's no market for 33 year old 1B/DH's who OPS .700 - regardless of salary.  Say he doubles his OPS+ from 50 to 100; there's still virtually no market for him - regardless of salary.    

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not even sure .200 is the question.     He’s hitting .083 right now.   He hit .168 last season.    Honestly, if he hit .190 this spring with a few dingers I’d throw a party.    

Bad hitter party? If you threw a party to celebrate Davis -in any way- would anyone attend?

I think I’d throw a party if the Orioles do cut him before OD. Then, I’d be assured the new regime has free reign.???

?

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think his defense has regressed quite a bit.  

We'll have to agree to disagree, I think he's toast.

Yup, agreed. However, I think it’s a few months at least (if not longer) before they cut bait.

11 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yup, agreed. However, I think it’s a few months at least (if not longer) before they cut bait.

I have thought that, too.    But if he continues to look as bad as he has so far this spring, I’m starting to wonder if they might cut bait sooner.   He’s doing substantially worse than he did last year, and looking awful doing it.    

Still hoping he snaps out of it and shows some sign of improvement.    

49 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

I think there are only two ways he's here two more seasons:

1) He plays much better.  Basically a .700ish OPS with decent defense.

2) He's on the 60-day DL for some kind of creative "physically unable to perform blah blah blah..." thing.

I think there's a very good chance that if he's hitting .168ish in mid-June there will be some kind of resolution (release, negotiated buyout, something) that gets him off the team for good.

Watching him bat with a man in 3rd and nobody out, where just putting the ball in play could likely score a run, and he takes 5 straight pitches and is called out on strikes.  That can't possibly be what they wanted him to do in that situation.  Called strike 3 was a very good pitch that would have been nearly impossible to do anything with.  But the second pitch that was called for a strike was definitely hittable.

Results are one thing, but if you've being coached to go up to the plate and swing, and instead he's just standing there watching good pictures go by, I wonder if that could accelerate the process getting him off of this team .  Having someone as bad as he is is demoralizing to the team, but having someone who isn't even trying to what the coaches are asking would be even worse.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have thought that, too.    But if he continues to look as bad as he has so far this spring, I’m starting to wonder if they might cut bait sooner.   He’s doing substantially worse than he did last year, and looking awful doing it.    

Still hoping he snaps out of it and shows some sign of improvement.    

Technically, somehow, he's not substantially worse than last year.  His spring OPS is .548, he OPSed .539 last season.?

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Technically, somehow, he's not substantially worse than last year.  His spring OPS is .548, he OPSed .539 last season.?

Because he got hold of one pitch for a homer.    His OPS isn’t worse, but when the OBP component is that low (.214) and you’ve struck out in 50% of plate appearances, I consider that substantially worse.   

I’m trying, trying, trying not to get too down on Davis based on 14 plate appearances.   But it’s hard, because he looks terrible up there, quite apart from the statistical results.   

• Upvote 1