Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They are getting paid to be supportive. 

The dreaded vote of confidence. How many times over the years do we see a manager get the thumbs up from the GM and ownership only to be jettisoned soon after? Too many to count.

Hyde isn’t going to bad mouth Davis to the media unless he wants to lose the clubhouse forever. 

I think we’re stuck. Nunez has an arm injury. Trumbo is just a DH, if he even comes back. None of the OF prospects are ready. I don’t think they will jettison Davis for Stevie Wilkerson, Jace Peterson, or DJ Stewart. I think it’s going to have to be that Hays is “ready” and the pushes Mancini out of the OF. 

Hyde should start batting the guy 8th or 9th. 

You would think a guy that is 0-50 would drop a bunt down. I know that isn’t a long term solution, but get that monkey or your back. 

Pos takes his turn:  https://joeposnanski.com/hitless/

On Monday, just 6,585 people showed up at Camden Yards, the smallest real crowd ever at the place despite it being a warm evening, and Davis went 0-for-5, and you wonder: How much longer can this go on? We don’t watch sports to see Greek Tragedies. But sometimes that what sports gives us. I hope he gets a hit tonight.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

While Davis appears to have very little support here on the OH he seems to have a lot of support elsewhere.   Hyde appears in his corner.    His teammates seem to be pulling for him to break out and last night the fans at Oriole Park seem to rooting for him.    

Anyone who followed the Orioles in 1988 should be rooting for Chris Davis at this point.  Does anyone remember that the national - and GLOBAL - press followed the team everywhere they traveled back then?  It was horrifying.  Well, that’s happening to CD now.  The British newspaper The Guardian posted a story about him this morning.  I pray he gets three hits tonight.

If I were Davis, I'd turn the tables on this and make it interesting in a different way.  First, I think it's safe to assume that his contract has been a weight on his back.  There's been discussion of it over the last several years.

Davis is owed roughly 100 million?  

Start donating.  Chris Long (Eagles) donated his entire salary to charity the year they won the SB.

If I were Davis, I'd say "I'm donating $10,000 for every strike out to [insert good Baltimore area charity].  Or, I'd also commit to donating a big chunk of money --- in the millions  -- to a charity.  Maybe a mixture of the two.

He's set for life, $-wise.  Stepping up and using his total meltdown and wealth to helping a city that needs all the help it can get, would be a great way to ease the burden of the obvious.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

We have no evidence at all that he has an issue with his eyes.

In fact I thought I read the other day he has 20/10 vision.

You are correct, I read the same. We should be grateful. If Davis had bad vision he might have a negative batting average right now.

giphy.gif

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

We have no evidence at all that he has an issue with his eyes.

In fact I thought I read the other day he has 20/10 vision.

Jim Palmer pointed out that when he swings his swing is not horizontal but vertical, it’s an uppercut swing and seems to be random. Also remember the famous GIF from last season that shows him looking somewhere completely other than the ball when he takes a weak swing.

No longer being able to see a 95 mile an hour fastball, or track it, when that wasn’t a problem three years ago, might be the kind of medical issue that only applies to an elite athlete. I am well aware that he can see. I walk around my house without my glasses All the time, because I can “see” but I can’t do anything regarding speed or detail without them.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Jim Palmer pointed out that when he swings his swing is not horizontal but vertical, it’s an uppercut swing and seems to be random. Also remember the famous GIF from last season that shows him looking somewhere completely other than the ball when he takes a weak swing.

No longer being able to see a 95 mile an hour fastball, or track it, when that wasn’t a problem three years ago, might be the kind of medical issue that only applies to an elite athlete. I am well aware that he can see. I walk around my house without my glasses All the time, because I can “see” but I can’t do anything regarding speed or detail without them.

Him looking at third base instead of at the pitch isn't because he's blind.  Him having an odd swing path isn't because he's blind.

15 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

Anyone who followed the Orioles in 1988 should be rooting for Chris Davis at this point.  Does anyone remember that the national - and GLOBAL - press followed the team everywhere they traveled back then?  It was horrifying.  Well, that’s happening to CD now.  The British newspaper The Guardian posted a story about him this morning.  I pray he gets three hits tonight.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/09/chris-davis-slump-baltimore-orioles

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Him looking at third base instead of at the pitch isn't because he's blind.  Him having an odd swing path isn't because he's blind.

I’m sorry I’m not being understood.

I know he’s not blind and I’m unaware I said that. I’m suggesting he might have lost the elite ability to track the ball and wondering if that could be a medical problem that would be inconsequential to a layman.

tracking the ball is not something that goes away with age. The ability to react certainly does, but tracking is visual and his inability to do so might be medical. It’s a slim straw but worth asking about.

Just now, Philip said:

I’m sorry I’m not being understood.

I know he’s not blind and I’m unaware I said that. I’m suggesting he might have lost the elite ability to track the ball and wondering if that could be a medical problem that would be inconsequential to a layman.

tracking the ball is not something that goes away with age. The ability to react certainly does, but tracking is visual and his inability to do so might be medical. It’s a slim straw but worth asking about.

If something like that is the case it isn't going to be covered by injury insurance.