Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

He should really just put his pride aside and go down to AA and get his confidence back

That worked for Tillman.  Wait no what happens is Davis will struggle in AA.  

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

Exactly if you have an issue with Davis being on the team direct it to the owners.  Davis isn't going to give up 80 million dollars and at this point just wish him the best as he is going to be here for 3 more years after this one. 

I'm not looking at it from a salary angle as his family is financially secure for life.  His former reputation is long gone, and he wants to get it back.  The time in the game comes to an end for all of them,  but only the fortunate get to decide that for themselves.   Britt Ghiroli just wrote an excellent article on this.

Here's an excerpt

Few players get the year-long retirement celebrations of guys like Jeter or David Ortiz. Every year, as big league clubs break camp and minor league affiliates start their own seasons, a gaggle of dreams end. It might be injuries, performance, or the harsh reality of the phone just not ringing.

“You basically get fired for the last time,” said former big league catcher Chad Moeller, who played 11 seasons with seven different teams and retired in 2011.

There’s no big press conference. As 15-year journeyman Brandon Snyder eloquently put it, the weary cowboy gets up on his horse and sets off toward the sunset. Hardly anyone notices.

“I don’t know if I went out on my own terms. It hurts either way, you know?” said Fernando Perez, who played parts of two seasons for Tampa Bay, unable to recover from wrist and shoulder injuries in 20009 stemming from a catch in spring training. “It’s an unnatural process for the mind to go through this whole thing. You’re not part of society when you’re a pro athlete, you’re in a weird little bubble where nothing in the normal world really impacts you at all. All you have to do is get dressed and put on your uniform and make that superhero transformation.

“And then you leave it. It’s not normal for anyone. They certainly don’t prepare you for it. There are some people who are better at it than others. There are some who are really good with (retiring) and then there are guys who hated playing and can’t wait to be done. And, they’ll never admit it, but those guys I’ve seen when it’s gone, they want it (back) so badly they get flushed in the face just watching a game.”

Yeah and I find the typical fan response to players strange.  They love the guy beyond their own family members and then soon as they struggle they turn on them and when they are gone, unless they are a hall of famer they forget they ever existed.  

Think about players that left recently that were very good:  Markakis, Jones, Tillman, Britton, and Wieters.  People say such negative things about them on here at the end.  They were all great ball players for a while here and all but Tillman is still playing in the bigs.  But when they were leaving people were very unkind about them.  And hardly anyone seems to care about them anymore.  

I don't get the whole thing myself. But once Davis leaves he will be quickly forgotten other than when there is a mention of worst contracts in baseball history.  

Consecutive hitless at-bats, all-time (per Elias Sports Bureau)

Chris Davis, Orioles, 49, 2018-19

Eugenio Velez, Giants/Dodgers, 46, 2010-11

Bill Bergen, Superbas (Dodgers), 45, 1909

Dave Campbell, Padres/Cardinals/Astros, 45, 1973

Craig Counsell, Brewers, 45, 2011

Hitless plate appearances, all-time (Per STATS)

Tony Bernazard, Indians, 57, 1984

Chris Davis, Orioles, 56, 2018-19

Eugenio Velez, Giants/Dodgers, 52, 2010-11

Justin Ruggiano, Marlins, 51, 2013

Robin Ventura, White Sox, 51, 1990

Craig Counsell, Brewers, 50, 2011

Todd Zeile, Orioles/Dodgers, 50, 1996-97

Dann Howitt, A's/Mariners,

The next PA! History! A record that will stand as long as Ripkens's.! Sorry Cal.

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

No clue. But if he's not getting on base and not getting hits, maybe try for a near sure fire thing, no?

We had this discussion last year (not you and I specifically) but I don't think Davis bunting would be "a near sure fire thing".

1 hour ago, yeoledugger said:

I wonder if the pitchers are starting to feel the “pressure” when facing Davis?  After all, who wants to go down in baseball history as the pitcher who stopped the ongoing record for hitless plate appearances?  The drama will only build the more this continues.

I was actually thinking that if some team had a huge lead on us in a game, one of their pitchers might do for Chris Davis what Denny McLain did for Mickey Mantle.   

47 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah and I find the typical fan response to players strange.  They love the guy beyond their own family members and then soon as they struggle they turn on them and when they are gone, unless they are a hall of famer they forget they ever existed.  

Think about players that left recently that were very good:  Markakis, Jones, Tillman, Britton, and Wieters.  People say such negative things about them on here at the end.  They were all great ball players for a while here and all but Tillman is still playing in the bigs.  But when they were leaving people were very unkind about them.  And hardly anyone seems to care about them anymore.  

I don't get the whole thing myself. But once Davis leaves he will be quickly forgotten other than when there is a mention of worst contracts in baseball history.  

I get your point, but your examples are terrible.  Kakes and Jones are beloved ex Orioles who people glow about.  Wieters was always loved, but he just never lived up to the enormous expectations.  Britton got a standing ovation when he was announced on Opening Day at Camden Yards.  Tillman is the only one who might fit your description, but even Tilly is highly remembered for some good years in Baltimore.  

Archived