Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

What is the solution? We know he's finished. I'm ready to hear solutions. 

1-- Option 1. Team cuts Davis and pays him the remaining money on his contract. 

2-- Option 2. Team approaches Davis about a buyout. The buyout looks like this $50M. Go away. 

3-- Option 3. Team continues to put Davis out there and play him everyday in an attempt to shaming him into retirement or a better buyout situation. 

4-- Option 4. Do nothing. 

Am I missing any? 

Here's what we don't know. Is Davis at all open to a buyout? If not, then I think the team has to keep running him out there. I don't think we can cut him and pay him $100M. That's not a viable option. 

What I've been thinking about lately is how much of a hole this puts the team in 3 to 4 innings a night.  I mean essentially the team is operating on two outs in the innings where he bats.  This being an "evaluation" year, I wonder when it becomes time to sit him just because the ability to hit and run, steal bases, etc. are really hampered in innings where he bats making "evaluation" that much more difficult.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

It wouldn't be hard for him to get to .150.  If he went 10 for his next 34  at bats he would be hitting .151.   It is really difficult to hit less than .150.  

It's trivial to hit less than .150.  There have been 3,847 player-seasons where someone has had 50+ plate appearances and hit .150 or lower.

Even excluding pitchers there have been over 750 player-seasons where someone met those criteria, which works out to 5-6 players a year.  Remember Brandon Wood?  In 2010 he hit .146 with a .382 OPS in 81 games.  Tyler Colvin hit .150 for the Cubs a year later in 80 games.  Bob Uecker once had a year where he went 29-for-193.  Bill Bergen had two seasons of 200+ ABs where he hit in the .130s.

3 hours ago, jtschrei said:

What is the solution? We know he's finished. I'm ready to hear solutions. 

1-- Option 1. Team cuts Davis and pays him the remaining money on his contract. 

2-- Option 2. Team approaches Davis about a buyout. The buyout looks like this $50M. Go away. 

3-- Option 3. Team continues to put Davis out there and play him everyday in an attempt to shaming him into retirement or a better buyout situation. 

4-- Option 4. Do nothing. 

Am I missing any? 

Here's what we don't know. Is Davis at all open to a buyout? If not, then I think the team has to keep running him out there. I don't think we can cut him and pay him $100M. That's not a viable option. 

He and his agent might be open to some time in the minors if his contract was re-negotiated to non-defer the deferred money!  The good money after bad approach. 

1 minute ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I'll take it!  It's like 119% better than his current performance.  ?

You would think that some player making these diving stops and leaping grabs might someday drop one just to help a brother, right?  But until then, it is theater of the highest order, and I comment all of these efforts and the efforts of our sports machine - ESPN - to raise the level of interest and keep everyone focused on the job at hand (namely to hold Chris hitless for the season or at least as long as possible).  It is almost like defending on a no-hit bid each game.

Wondering what’s next for Davis on road trip

The task of finding more favorable matchups for Davis really is complicated at Fenway Park. He’s 5-for-27 (.185) with a home run and 14 strikeouts against Rodriguez, 10-for-50 (.200) with a double, four home runs and 16 strikeouts against Saturday starter Rick Porcello, 11-for-43 (.256) with two home runs and 20 strikeouts against Sunday starter David Price and 2-for-22 (.091) with nine strikeouts against Monday starter Chris Sale.