Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Chris Davis is fourth in ABs in the team while having a .463 OPS, good for 17th. Why is this embarrassment allowed to continue? How long before they finally do the right thing and bench/DFA/buy him out? 

I predict this will happen in September of 2022.

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

How long??? Until some changes are made? Or, how long will Davis blah blah???

I'm not a thread monitor, but there are like a hundred of them already.

Strange how my thread title was kept but the thread is credited to Aristotelian.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

Strange how my thread title was kept but the thread is credited to Aristotleian.

It's a good thread title. Some folks asked that the many Davis threads be merged. And probably the future ones as well.  His post must have been the earliest in the many. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Players who are still owed $100M+ don’t retire, they get released when their team has had enough.

It looks like the Mets only owe Reyes a little over a million.  

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Maybe they’ll trade Reyes for Davis. ?

Mets having cash flow problems?  They can’t eat the remainder of his $1M?

I think they just want to honor him by giving him a retirement celebration.   This is 12th season as a Met.  

Showalter on the Orioles struggles:  “From my personal standpoint, my thought process is making the people we have better, getting back to the things we’re capable of.  I’m not just going to hang it around one guy. It’s more than that. It’s always easy to switch players and do things, it’s not always easy — but I’m more in tune with the people we have here and trying to get them back on track.”

And therein lies the problem.  Memorial Day was the target date to evaluate the team and decide a direction to take.  But on Sunday Showalter's comment above seems to be saying it's going to turn around and the players ("Buck's guys") will suddenly emerge from their Spring/Summer malaise and get back to being their old selves.  It isn't working.  It's not a slump.  It's badly broken and needs professional attention.  This isn't a case of a little flare up on the kitchen stove that can be doused with a damp towel.  It's a 4 alarm blaze that needs a full response to save the house.  Just as Rome burned while Nero fiddled, .  Duquette, Showalter and company are doing the same exact thing.  And  they're going to wind up standing in the smoldering rubble wondering what the hell happened.

24 minutes ago, SeaBird said:

Showalter on the Orioles struggles:  “From my personal standpoint, my thought process is making the people we have better, getting back to the things we’re capable of.  I’m not just going to hang it around one guy. It’s more than that. It’s always easy to switch players and do things, it’s not always easy — but I’m more in tune with the people we have here and trying to get them back on track.”

And therein lies the problem.  Memorial Day was the target date to evaluate the team and decide a direction to take.  But on Sunday Showalter's comment above seems to be saying it's going to turn around and the players ("Buck's guys") will suddenly emerge from their Spring/Summer malaise and get back to being their old selves.  It isn't working.  It's not a slump.  It's badly broken and needs professional attention.  This isn't a case of a little flare up on the kitchen stove that can be doused with a damp towel.  It's a 4 alarm blaze that needs a full response to save the house.  Just as Rome burned while Nero fiddled, .  Duquette, Showalter and company are doing the same exact thing.  And  they're going to wind up standing in the smoldering rubble wondering what the hell happened.

Remember a little while ago Buck said he was talking to DD about players that could help the team but DD was busy with the Draft.  I think Buck wanted Hanley Ramirez.  

I feel like DD is busy working on his resume.  Brady is busy working out and there  is no one running the ship. 

Update to the misery:

Davis is now OPSing .465, down from .480 at the start of this thread.  His OPS+ is 30.

• He has struck out 83 times compared to 31 base hits.  He is approaching 3 Ks per base hit.  I don't know if that's ever been done in a qualifying full season.
  • He has four (4) home runs in 56 games played out of 64.  That is on pace for a whopping ten (10) HR on the season.  If that holds up, the past four years he will have gone down from 47, to 38, to 26, to ten HR.
  • His rWAR has reached -2.0.  His career rWAR was 17.9 and now it's 15.9.  He is on pace for -5.1 on the season.
  • His fWAR is merely -1.8.  His career fWAR was 17.0 and now it's 15.2.  He is on pace for -4.6 on the season.
  • As if you needed a reminder - he is making $23 million this season, partially deferred, and there are four more to go.

• Thanks 1