Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Oh hey you two @atomicand @Rene88 remember last week when I was trying to explain the players association and how no one wants to piss them off?

He can’t be sent to the minors without his permission, and as the Baltimore Sun‘s Eduardo A Encina noted, if he did, “t would be an unprecedented move that would likely cause concern in the players union.”

Players union will go nucking futs if the Orioles try to do anything here with him like force a demotion or anything that can set a precedent for a team wanting to get out of a huge contract with an underperforming player.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh hey you two @atomicand @Rene88 remember last week when I was trying to explain the players association and how no one wants to piss them off?

Players union will go nucking futs if the Orioles try to do anything here with him like force a demotion or anything that can set a precedent for a team wanting to get out of a huge contract with an underperforming player.  

If the MLBPA has any sense they will carefully choose when and where to have a pitched battle.  This is a situation where "quiet behind-the-scenes" would be a lot more useful for them long-term than "nuckin' futs".  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

A well written and though out piece. Davis' case is certainly something for the record books. He's probably the last of the stupid long term "power hitter contracts" that were given out by baseball before analytics really were brought into the equation. Of course the Orioles would be the last one to give one out and now the organization could be affected by it for years.

• Upvote 1

Make him literally the 26th man on a 25 man roster this year and until the O's can dump him. Have him pitch in mop up games, pinch hit in mop up games. Once September comes, when rosters expand, he becomes more irrelevant. Maybe a miracle will happen in the off season and he becomes somewhat useable. I was of the mindset of just releasing him...make him at least put in bench time...at $120,000/game, $13,000/inning. What a stupid signing Buck, Adam and whoever else was in his corner.

11 minutes ago, 24fps said:

If the MLBPA has any sense they will carefully choose when and where to have a pitched battle.  This is a situation where "quiet behind-the-scenes" would be a lot more useful for them long-term than "nuckin' futs".  

Absolutely not.  An MLB team trying to mess with a player that has something like 4 years and 110 million left by sending him down, making him miserable, etc is a battle they will absolutely fight.

Because if the Orioles start screwing with that, then it tells any other team with a player that's making that amount of money or even less that you can get away with it.  Everyone knows Davis sucks, that's not the point.  The point is that if the Orioles try to screw with Davis here, that the guy in Colorado underperforming on a contract with 3 years and 45 million left can be screwed with, too.  All of a sudden MLB teams will get the notion that in order to get out of a bad, expensive contract they can just mess with their players because the Orioles did it to Chris Davis.  And the guy in Seattle isn't being paid as much or doesn't have as many years left, so we can do it to him, too.  That is why a players association exists, partially.

We're all rooting for quiet and behind the scenes, but if the Orioles can't buy him out (which, IMO, is what they should do) then I think they'll try their hand at a demotion and forcing him into it.  And then the MLBPA steps in.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

A well written and though out piece. Davis' case is certainly something for the record books. He's probably the last of the stupid long term "power hitter contracts" that were given out by baseball before analytics really were brought into the equation. Of course the Orioles would be the last one to give one out and now the organization could be affected by it for years.

I really didn't know if I should laugh or cry at this line.

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Absolutely not.  An MLB team trying to mess with a player that has something like 4 years and 110 million left by sending him down, making him miserable, etc is a battle they will absolutely fight.

Because if the Orioles start screwing with that, then it tells any other team with a player that's making that amount of money or even less that you can get away with it.  Everyone knows Davis sucks, that's not the point.  The point is that if the Orioles try to screw with Davis here, that the guy in Colorado underperforming on a contract with 3 years and 45 million left can be screwed with, too.  All of a sudden MLB teams will get the notion that in order to get out of a bad, expensive contract they can just mess with their players because the Orioles did it to Chris Davis.  And the guy in Seattle isn't being paid as much or doesn't have as many years left, so we can do it to him, too.  That is why a players association exists, partially.

We're all rooting for quiet and behind the scenes, but if the Orioles can't buy him out (which, IMO, is what they should do) then I think they'll try their hand at a demotion and forcing him into it.  And then the MLBPA steps in.

The Orioles need to just DFA Davis, but they aren't the Red Sox who ate Sandoval's contract when it was obvious he couldn't perform.  The best solution for now is for Davis to take a stint on the disabled list to work out his problems, if that is even possible at this point. 

Continuing to hit .150 at the MLB level isn't going to solve anything.  

57 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There were plenty of analytics already out there when we decided to sign Davis, and plenty of warning signs.    That said, this is absolutely the worst case scenario.    Davis not remaining good for seven years was absolutely foreseeable.   Davis being sub-replacement in Year 2 and one of the worst players of all time in Year 3 was highly unlikely.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Orioles need to just DFA Davis, but they aren't the Red Sox who ate Sandoval's contract when it was obvious he couldn't perform.  The best solution for now is for Davis to take a stint on the disabled list to work out his problems, if that is even possible at this point. 

Continuing to hit .150 at the MLB level isn't going to solve anything.  

The Red Sox ate about $45 mm of Sandoval’s contact, whereas the O’s would eat more than $100 mm if they released Davis now.    

That said, I couldn’t agree more that playing a guy who hits .150 doesn’t solve anything.   It’s sort of like you went to the grocery store and bought their most expensive steak, and then a couple days later when you’re ready to cook it you notice it’s gone bad.    Are you going to eat that steak and get sick just because you paid a lot of money for it that you can’t get back?    Are you going to keep it around for another day or two and hope it somehow gets better?   Or are you going to find something else to eat?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There were plenty of analytics already out there when we decided to sign Davis, and plenty of warning signs.    That said, this is absolutely the worst case scenario.    Davis not remaining good for seven years was absolutely foreseeable.   Davis being sub-replacement in Year 2 and one of the worst players of all time in Year 3 was highly unlikely.   

THIS.  I don't feel like we deserve this punishment for the crime of signing him to that deal.  Win some, lose some I suppose....but this is borderline cruel.  I'd be scared to sign anyone to longer than a 1-year contract after this disaster. 

10 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

THIS.  I don't feel like we deserve this punishment for the crime of signing him to that deal.  Win some, lose some I suppose....but this is borderline cruel.  I'd be scared to sign anyone to longer than a 1-year contract after this disaster. 

Is this worse then the Albert Belle disaster? I would say yes 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

The O's don't have many "major league" players, so what are they worried about.  They have a lot of guys who are paid like major league players, but they don't perform anything like major league players.

37 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's don't have many "major league" players, so what are they worried about.  They have a lot of guys who are paid like major league players, but they don't perform anything like major league players.

That's not the point.  The point is that the MLBPA doesn't care about how someone's performing.  They are there to make sure that the players are getting what's been agreed to in their contracts.