Harper to Phillies

weams

18 minutes ago, esmd said:

Davis gets paid until 2037.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.camdenchat.com/platform/amp/2016/1/16/10780406/orioles-news-chris-davis-contract-deferred-money

The money will come due eventually, with Davis structured to receive a $3.5 million payment each year from 2023-32, with an additional $1.4 million coming each year from 2033-37.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Davis gets paid until 2037.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.camdenchat.com/platform/amp/2016/1/16/10780406/orioles-news-chris-davis-contract-deferred-money

The money will come due eventually, with Davis structured to receive a $3.5 million payment each year from 2023-32, with an additional $1.4 million coming each year from 2033-37.

Wow! That's a lot of money. He makes all that money and he hasn't done squat. IMO 

1 hour ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Does this contract mean there will be a DH in the NL??

It won't be the cause, but I think it's safe to assume there will be one.  Probably long before Harper will need to fall back on it to stay active.

56 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Scott Boras says....

That last comment about not being a serious offer is what rubs fans the wrong way. The dude is set for life at 26 either way. How dare the Nats insult him with such a joke offer. I can't stand Heyman.

4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

That last comment about not being a serious offer is what rubs fans the wrong way. The dude is set for life at 26 either way. How dare the Nats insult him with such a joke offer. I can't stand Heyman.

It wasn't a 300M offer.

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Agree. The last 4-5 years of that contract will possibly be a sunk cost with Harper not playing everyday. Boras did well getting the extra three years. It will be interesting to see how both contracts play out.

This kind of thinking is misguided IMO.   If Harper performs well in the early years, he’ll be worth way more than what he’s getting paid in those years.    The fact that he’s not worth his salary in the last few years doesn’t matter so long as the total value he produces in the 13 years exceeds his salary.

Let’s say Harper produces 4.5 WAR/yr over his first 8 seasons and only 1.5 WAR/yr over the final 5.    That’s 43.5 WAR x $8 mm (ignoring inflation in that period) = $348 mm in value over the contract.   The fact that he’s overpaid for each of the last five years doesn’t change the fact that he outearned his salary.    

So to me, the real question is what total value will he produce over the length of his deal, not whether he’s earning his later-year salaries.    

I should also mention that the deal is structured so that his salary is reduced in the final three seasons.  

Archived