Manny signs with Padres

weams

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

That got me thinking about what the other potential worst moves in Orioles history could be. Then about a minute into it I decided I needed to stop thinking.....and I needed a nightcap.

Glenn Davis was up there...

Unless I missed it, I’m surprised no one has complimented Machado on his foresight in this deal. Obviously, he has been closely following the rebuild in Baltimore and realizes that in 5 years the Orioles should be ready to win again. As a result, he made sure that his contract included an opt out after year 5, so he can exercise that opt out, return to Baltimore, lead the Orioles to a World Series, and become an even bigger legend.

My goodness, the Other Sox guys are so butthurt.  Kenny Williams (he still has a job?) talking about how he's keeping his shades on so you can't see the shock in his eyes and that Rick Hahn dude saying "blaaarrrrrgh, I'm pissed off!"

Wake up, dolts!  Guaranteed money is what matters!  You didn't make a better offer! 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

My goodness, the Other Sox guys are so butthurt.  Kenny Williams (he still has a job?) talking about how he's keeping his shades on so you can't see the shock in his eyes and that Rick Hahn dude saying "blaaarrrrrgh, I'm pissed off!"

Wake up, dolts!  Guaranteed money is what matters!  You didn't make a better offer! 

I wonder what the homer in chief Hawk Harrelson thinks of the situation. 

10 hours ago, atomic said:

I am not sure when 50 million dollars became insignificant.

When it's spread over 10+ years (probably includes deferred payments) in an organization that currently brings in $250M in revenues annually and is valued at $1.2B.  Less than $5M a year is what you pay for your 4th outfielder or your 7th inning guy.

Manny made the absolute best choice. Or maybe just the best combination that would line up with how I would have approached it, in his shoes:

* Sh*t ton of money. $300 million is plenty.

* San Diego is finally under ownership willing to spend, won't be the meh of the NL West any more.

* San Diego has an incredible farm system. 13 players with an FV of 50 or more - easily tops in the both leagues (Fangraphs). Philly would have been a great choice for maximal chance at a ring right now (IMO), but we don't know that the $$$ was there or if lifestyle factors came into play. That said, San Diego has a great chance to be excellent and make a run or two over the next few years.

* San Diego is an amazing place to live - possibility the best climate in the US (CA taxes are high - but nice neighborhoods are expensive for a reason, and I refer you back to 300 million). I wonder if those few months in LA made him think, "Hey, I could get used to this."

* Opt-out. San Diego's rebuild not panning out? Want the chance for even more money? Want to maintain some freedom? Here you go. 

* Less pressure-filled media market. Even though "he's the man," he's not going to get beat up down there like in other markets.

As others have said, I'm stoked for him because now I don't have to cry in my beer about him being in the AL East. Best of luck, Manny!

9 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Not making any kind of economic or political statement with the following.  Not that he shouldn't take everything he can get but I just found it interesting.

median household income in the United States In 2018 is $62,175

Manny makes as much in an hour as the medial family makes in a  year.  

17 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I get where you're coming from. But I think the chances of a guy sticking with 1 team any more are quite rare. Not really an Orioles thing. More just how things are these days with these mega contracts the stars can earn. 

Funny how when you give players a choice of where they play they rarely choose the random team that selected them in a draft when they were 18 or 20.

Archived