o

(vs.RANGERS, 6/04)

PEDRO SEVERINO DeLEON

NUMBER lll6

NUMBER lll7

NUMBER lll8

o

o

I remember seeing Lee Lacy hit 3 Home Runs against the Yankees, in July of 1986.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA198606080.shtml

I also remember reading about Eddie Murray doing it in August of 1985, in our local newspaper up here in New York State. Murray had a chance to hit a 4th round-tripper in his final plate appearance of that game, and he almost did it ........ he hit a long fly ball out to right field. When asked about it after the game, Murray said that he was known as a fastball hitter, so he "decided to just wait on some slow stuff, and see what happens."

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CAL/CAL198508260.shtml

o

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

OPS up over .900. You guys laughed at me when I suggested it but I still say he's in the running as a dark horse to be the O's All Star.

I guess why not?  But he has, what... 120 PAs?  

What I want to know is how long they're going to keep using super bounce balls in major league games.  Any time there's a change in playing conditions some players are disproportionately advantaged or disadvantaged.  Severino appears to be benefiting more than most, as his performance has to be in his 99th percentile.  Last year he hit like Chris Davis.  This year it's 2015 Chris Davis.  My quick take is that this is wholly unsustainable in the long run, but I'd love to be wrong.

9 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs.RANGERS, 6/04)

PEDRO SEVERINO DeLEON

NUMBER ll6

NUMBER ll7

NUMBER ll8

o

27 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I remember seeing Lee Lacy hit 3 Home Runs against the Yankees, in July of 1986.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA198606080.shtml

I also remember reading about Eddie Murray doing it in August of 1985, in our local newspaper up here in New York State. Murray had a chance to hit a 4th round-tripper in his final plate appearance of that game, and he almost did it ........ he hit a long fly ball out to right field. When asked about it after the game, Murray said that he was known as a fastball hitter, so he "decided to just wait on some slow stuff, and see what happens."

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CAL/CAL198508260.shtml

o

o

I also remember seeing Josh Bell JUST BARELY MISS doing it against the Rangers, in 2010.

After hitting 2 Home Runs in the 3rd and 4th innings respectively, Bell hit a ball that that hit high off the right field wall in the 6th, just a few feet too far top the right ........ if he had pulled the ball just a bit less, it would have sailed a good 10 feet over the right-centerfield wall. It wound up hitting high off of the 24-foot high wall, instead. Subsequently, Bell had to settle for a very long single, and a career day.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201008210.shtml

o

27 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I guess why not?  But he has, what... 120 PAs?  

What I want to know is how long they're going to keep using super bounce balls in major league games.  Any time there's a change in playing conditions some players are disproportionately advantaged or disadvantaged.  Severino appears to be benefiting more than most, as his performance has to be in his 99th percentile.  Last year he hit like Chris Davis.  This year it's 2015 Chris Davis.  My quick take is that this is wholly unsustainable in the long run, but I'd love to be wrong.

Why would one hitter benefit so much more from other hitters if the main variable that changed is a new super bouncy ball?

Shouldn't all hitters that hit the ball in the air see much-improved results?

Just now, Aglets said:

Why would one hitter benefit so much more from other hitters if the main variable that changed is a new super bouncy ball?

Shouldn't all hitters that hit the ball in the air see much-improved results?

It might be fly ball distance (average and how they're distributed).  If an average fly ball this year is going 10 feet more than in the past, some players will see more go over the fence than others.  Perhaps guys who previously had 30-40 homer power might not see as much of a gain as 10 homer guys because of the distribution of fly balls.  Maybe.

My rationale went back to strike zone changes.  When they moved the margins of the zone in 1963 some players were killed, others (I believe short, low-walk guys) went on like nothing happened.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hey, hey, let's let Drungo be the wet blanket. 

I'd love for Pedro Severino to have been bitten by a radioactive scorpion and is now Yogi Berra.  There just aren't that many 25-year-old guys with .650 OPSes in AAA who turn into Jimmie Foxx overnight and have it stick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'd love for Pedro Severino to have been bitten by a radioactive scorpion and is now Yogi Berra.  There just aren't that many 25-year-old guys with .650 OPSes in AAA who turn into Jimmie Foxx overnight and have it stick.

I’ll settle for him being Charles Johnson.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It might be fly ball distance (average and how they're distributed).  If an average fly ball this year is going 10 feet more than in the past, some players will see more go over the fence than others.  Perhaps guys who previously had 30-40 homer power might not see as much of a gain as 10 homer guys because of the distribution of fly balls.  Maybe.

My rationale went back to strike zone changes.  When they moved the margins of the zone in 1963 some players were killed, others (I believe short, low-walk guys) went on like nothing happened.

Sometimes I feel like Drungo is still having reconciling his view of reality with the fact that Jose Bautista exists.  ;)

Love ya man.  I get that it's most rational to expect large populations of individuals (in this case baseball players) to all more or less follow the same trend lines and to have the same career patterns............but we all know outliers exist too.   And sure, I get that the real trick is recognizing when those guys appear, and they will necessarily be in the minority.   I don't know what the magic amount of evidence is for me either, but if Pedro is still doing this in late July I think I'll be a believer.

13 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Sometimes I feel like Drungo is still having reconciling his view of reality with the fact that Jose Bautista exists.  ;)

Love ya man.  I get that it's most rational to expect large populations of individuals (in this case baseball players) to all more or less follow the same trend lines and to have the same career patterns............but we all know outliers exist too.   And sure, I get that the real trick is recognizing when those guys appear, and they will necessarily be in the minority.   I don't know what the magic amount of evidence is for me either, but if Pedro is still doing this in late July I think I'll be a believer.

There are outliers, and then there is silly.  Jose Bautista a Rule 5 refugee sent from A ball to four MLB teams and back to AAA (where he had an .800-something OPS).  Severino hit like Paul Bako in the minors, and had a .501 OPS in 200 PAs with the Nats.  Even if he becomes Charles Johnson (.880 OPS in AA, by the way) this would be pretty close to unprecedented.

I'll be more than thrilled if he ends up as a .240/.300/.430 guy with a real MLB career.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

There are outliers, and then there is silly.  Jose Bautista a Rule 5 refugee sent from A ball to four MLB teams and back to AAA (where he had an .800-something OPS).  Severino hit like Paul Bako in the minors, and had a .501 OPS in 200 PAs with the Nats.  Even if he becomes Charles Johnson (.880 OPS in AA, by the way) this would be pretty close to unprecedented.

I'll be more than thrilled if he ends up as a .240/.300/.430 guy with a real MLB career.

Did you see them dingers tho? Jokes aside, the swings on those things were beautiful. 

22 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I don't know what the magic amount of evidence is for me either, but if Pedro is still doing this in late July I think I'll be a believer.

You at least gotta pass the Newhan Threshold. So he can be awesome for like another 50 or 60 PAs and that still won't be enough evidence. I'm definitely curious though.

• Upvote 1