The Defense Thread, 2019

Frobby

So much bad defense the last two days.    Just to name a few:

Game 41, May 16

- Mancini drops a ball in the RF corner that goes as a three base error.   A run scores on that play and the runner who reached 3B scores later in the inning.   

Game 42, May 16

- With a runner on 1B, the batter hits a ball in the LCF gap.    A good relay throw is made to Villar, but his throw is 2-3 feet to the 1B side of the plate and the runner, who would have been out easily on a good throw, is safe.    

Game 43, May 17

- Bloop hit that Alberto drops as he collides with Mancini.

- Hot smash near 2B that Alberto let’s get past him.

- Double brain dead play with the bases loaded.    Alberto fields a slow chopper, starts running a runner back towards 1B, doesn’t tag him but throws to Davis too late as a run scores.   Davis starts running the other runner towards 2B, then realizes the other runner who started the play at 2B is trying to score, and throws too late.   All runners are safe and two runs score on the play,

- On a hit to CF with runners on 1st and 2nd, Wilkerson double clutches and throws too late to 3B, and then the batter ends up at 2B.

- On a line drive to RCF, Wilkerson  gets a late jump, makes a futile dive where he is at least 3 feet short of the ball, and it goes to the wall for a double    

I’m sure there’s more, but that’s what I remember right now.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Game 41, May 16

- Mancini drops a ball in the RF corner that goes as a three base error.   A run scores on that play and the runner who reached 3B scores later in the inning.   

Game 42, May 16

- With a runner on 1B, the batter hits a ball in the LCF gap.    A good relay throw is made to Villar, but his throw is 2-3 feet to the 1B side of the plate and the runner, who would have been out easily on a good throw, is safe.    

Game 43, May 17

- Double brain dead play with the bases loaded.    Alberto fields a slow chopper, starts running a runner back towards 1B, doesn’t tag him but throws to Davis too late as a run scores.   Davis starts running the other runner towards 2B, then realizes the other runner who started the play at 2B is trying to score, and throws too late.   All runners are safe and two runs score on the play,

- On a hit to CF with runners on 1st and 2nd, Wilkerson double clutches and throws too late to 3B, and then the batter ends up at 2B.

- On a line drive to RCF, Wilkerson  gets a late jump, makes a futile dive where he is at least 3 feet short of the ball, and it goes to the wall for a double    

There was a similar play a few games ago where Wilkerson made a diving attempt on a ball that he was several feet away from catching.  He needs to learn when to stay on his feet on those.  

A good rule of thumb is that if you aren't going to be able to get a glove on the ball.  Don't dive. 

54 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

There was a similar play a few games ago where Wilkerson made a diving attempt on a ball that he was several feet away from catching.  He needs to learn when to stay on his feet on those.  

A good rule of thumb is that if you aren't going to be able to get a glove on the ball.  Don't dive. 

He seems to be suffering from spells of species perceptual confusion. He's not used to the oceanic vastness of CF--it traumatizes him and triggers his inner porpoise in response.

43 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

25 minutes ago, LA2 said:

He seems to be suffering from spells of species perceptual confusion. He's not used to the oceanic vastness of CF--it seems to traumatize him and trigger his inner porpoise in response.

I hope he gets better at realizing what he can and can't get to. I do like the effort though.

Davis has had 2 brain dead throwing plays in 2 weeks.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

- Double brain dead play with the bases loaded.    Alberto fields a slow chopper, starts running a runner back towards 1B, doesn’t tag him but throws to Davis too late as a run scores.   Davis starts running the other runner towards 2B, then realizes the other runner who started the play at 2B is trying to score, and throws too late.   All runners are safe and two runs score on the play.

https://streamable.com/x3fi4

it looks stupider than reading it

8 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I hope he gets better at realizing what he can and can't get to. I do like the effort though.

Davis has had 2 brain dead throwing plays in 2 weeks.

All stars are not perfect - they are mercurial!  ?

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Game 41, May 16

Game 42, May 16

Game 43, May 17

Related image

14 hours ago, ChuckS said:

It’s not really fair to Wilkerson he has no business being in CF, but is only playing because of necessity. 

Game 44, May 17

- Villar let a ball through his legs on a routine grounder in the 2nd inning, leading to an unearned run.  

- On a pretty routine chopper between SS and 3rdRichie Martin deferred to Villar, who booted it.   It was an easier play for Martin, who should have cut the ball off, but Villar also should have made the play.    The worst part was it came on the 10 pitch of an at bat that was Bundy’s last of the night, on his 118th pitch.   Bundy deserved better.   

- Stevie Wilkerson had an adventure on a fly ball hit directly over his head.    He got back in time, seemed to misjudge the ball a bit and/or was worried about where the wall was, then jumped and made a snow cone catch.    Clearly a play by a very good athlete who hasn’t played much CF.