Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

I really, really don't like extending Givens like that in the 3rd game of the year, especially in back to back games. 49 pitches across 2 innings...high stress. Not sure how I feel.

Yeah. Sounds like Hyde didn't like it either, based on his own comments. The bullpen is missing another high leverage guy, really. I like the idea of using Givens in high leverage scenarios, though. 

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

What is it, 17 days now minus 3 until he is in Norfolk?  Hiding him as many of those days as possible is smart. 

You have to manage with the whole season in mind.  Even if you are trying to win, it makes no sense to blow out your best bullpen arm.  His velo dipped to 93 in the second inning.

52 minutes ago, baltfan said:

You have to manage with the whole season in mind.  Even if you are trying to win, it makes no sense to blow out your best bullpen arm.  His velo dipped to 93 in the second inning.

This team will have limited opportunities to win. I think Hyde has to do what he did yesterday. Now Givens needs a day off. That's the kicker. Other guys will have to show whether they can handle high leverage situations at some point. So far Wright (barely) and Fry have come through in a couple. It would be nice to have to find that out as soon as today. Hopefully we're in another game with a high leverage situation.

5 hours ago, baltfan said:

Obviously no one wishes to “blow out” anybody’s arm.  And I agree that using him that long was not necessarily what I would have chosen either.  The choice would have been either using Araujo in the extra inning, i.e 7th or 8th which could have been chosen.  But  I do not know if Hyde and Elias are convinced that Givens is just going to be a 1 inning guy exclusively or whether, like in spring training, he was being stretched out as well as trying to win the game and perhaps we may see further outings with similar pitch counts for Givens as a 1-2 inning guy where it makes maximum impact. .  

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Obviously no one wishes to “blow out” anybody’s arm.  And I agree that using him that long was not necessarily what I would have chosen either.  The choice would have been either using Araujo in the extra inning, i.e 7th or 8th which could have been chosen.  But  I do not know if Hyde and Elias are convinced that Givens is just going to be a 1 inning guy exclusively or whether, like in spring training, he was being stretched out as well as trying to win the game and perhaps we may see further outings with similar pitch counts for Givens as a 1-2 inning guy where it makes maximum impact. .  

Despite my disagreement on this decision I am on the record as very impressed with Hyde. 

Pulling Hess after 6-1/3rd with a no hitter ought to generate some debate, lol....Hess looked like he thought it was an April Fool's joke.

It's a shame Hess couldn't try and get the no-hitter, but I can understand pulling him this early in the season.

4 minutes ago, esmd said:

Pulling Hess after 6-1/3rd with a no hitter ought to generate some debate, lol....Hess looked like he thought it was an April Fool's joke.

It's a shame Hess couldn't try and get the no-hitter, but I can understand pulling him this early in the season.

Debate? Horsecrap move.

Archived