Jalen Smith returns for 2019-20

Tony-OH

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/video/4061793-maryland-forward-jalen-smith-to-return-for-sophomore-season/

Well this is obviously good news. Smith should be the team's best player next year as he adds bulk to his frame. He should be a guarding nightmare next year.

The only thing that would have made me happier is if Turgeon resigned, but I'll take them as I can get them!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2019 at 8:56 PM, scbalt52 said:

Cowen wouldn't have gotten drafted even if there were 4 rounds.  He needs to get a lot better on his 3 ball just to become a reliable college player.  

5th?  That's just not realistic.  

15 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Cowen wouldn't have gotten drafted even if there were 4 rounds.  He needs to get a lot better on his 3 ball just to become a reliable college player.  

5th?  That's just not realistic.  

No doubt, he isn't an NBA player. Still wouldn't have shocked me if he went. Its a coin flip whether we really wanted/needed him but hoping he has a big final year, he's capable.

As far as 5th, now that shocked me. I just hope we're a ranked team for more than half of the year and make the dance.

13 hours ago, scbalt52 said:

No doubt, he isn't an NBA player. Still wouldn't have shocked me if he went. Its a coin flip whether we really wanted/needed him but hoping he has a big final year, he's capable.

As far as 5th, now that shocked me. I just hope we're a ranked team for more than half of the year and make the dance.

Just making the dance would be acceptable to you?  This is considered one of the 5-10 best teams in the country.  I know Turgeon sucks but anything short of a sweet 16 would be pretty damn disappointing.  

3 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Just making the dance would be acceptable to you?  This is considered one of the 5-10 best teams in the country.  I know Turgeon sucks but anything short of a sweet 16 would be pretty damn disappointing.  

Yeah I really go into every season just wanting to make the dance. But yeah, this season I should say I would accept being a 5-6 seed at worst. I don't think this is a top 10 team like some experts are throwing out early but should be pretty solid. Similar to last year, which was a fine year. I'd like to be better and move on from Turgeon but it is what it is.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the recruiting class is what gives Maryland top 10 potential.  As good as last year's was, this one might be just as good.  The late signing of Marial is the sleeper.  The fact that we didn't lose anyone significant other than Bruno was huge too.  There is a love/hate relationship with Cowan, but he's a good player and I'm glad he's back.  I never thought he was seriously considering going pro.  He adds valuable senior leadership.

I'll keep expectations guarded as I usually do with my sports teams, growing up in the DC Metro area will do that to you, but this could be a very fun team.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 1:22 AM, Oriole4Life said:

I think the recruiting class is what gives Maryland top 10 potential.  As good as last year's was, this one might be just as good.  The late signing of Marial is the sleeper.  The fact that we didn't lose anyone significant other than Bruno was huge too.  There is a love/hate relationship with Cowan, but he's a good player and I'm glad he's back.  I never thought he was seriously considering going pro.  He adds valuable senior leadership.

I'll keep expectations guarded as I usually do with my sports teams, growing up in the DC Metro area will do that to you, but this could be a very fun team.

It's kind of odd, because Makhi Mitchell was the only "top 100" recruit of the 5 incoming freshman, and he was ranked just 66th.  https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Season/2019-Basketball/Commits/