Attendance 2019

Frobby

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Not necessarily.  The floor and season tickets sales could be lower, if possible.

You mean that some significant number of people bought individual tickets tonight?   I find that hard to believe.

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You mean that some significant number of people bought individual tickets tonight?   I find that hard to believe.

Me too.   Threat of rain, NCAA championship on TV, four losses in a row.    Not a lot of walk-up I’d think.    And the first Monday game in April is very often the lowest attendance of the year.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Me too.   Threat of rain, NCAA championship on TV, four losses in a row.    Not a lot of walk-up I’d think.    And the first Monday game in April is very often the lowest attendance of the year.   

Yep.   I'm sure there were a FEW individual tickets sold tonight... business travellers in town, a few transplanted A's fans, someone taking someone for their birthday.   There's always going to be a few.   But tonight should be just about as few as any.   If we have a lower paid attendance this year it won't be by more than a few dozen or a hundred.    This year's floor is around 6500.

Now let's have a good (or interesting) enough season so next year's season ticket sales go up and the floor gets back over 7 or 8K.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Last year’s April 9 game was played in intermittent rain and temperatures hovering around 40 degrees, so worse than tonight.    If they get the game in, it should be very fair to compare the two, which basically just tells you who had a full-season plan.

As an aside, I had 4 tickets for tonight as part of my season ticket group, and decided to switch them out for a game against the Indians on Saturday June 29.    My ticket rep told me it would cost an extra $164 for the four tickets — I was shocked it was that big a difference.   Apparently tonight is a so-called “value game” whereas June 29 is a “premium game” — literally the low and high ends of the spectrum on the O’s variable pricing system.   I decided to fork over the money anyway.    

I don't believe you! You have to be exaggerating. I mean there's no way a family of four could spend that kind of money at a baseball game. ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I don't believe you! You have to be exaggerating. I mean there's no way a family of four could spend that kind of money at a baseball game. ?

Well, you got me there!   Still pretty sure I’ll fall short of $500, and it’s certainly the most I’ve ever paid for a regular season game.    But it’ll be close.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Well, you got me there!   Still pretty sure I’ll fall short of $500, and it’s certainly the most I’ve ever paid for a regular season game.    But it’ll be close.   

If all four of you upgrade from the cheap hot dogs to a fancy food item and have a craft beer instead of miller lite, then you'll be in the $500 ballpark. :)

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By the way I, I purchased tickets to Hamilton on Broadway for my wife's birthday. She loves the soundtrack, etc. Tickets were $350 each with an $87.50 per ticket fee. YIKES!!! Those two tickets cost more than our two flights from Texas to NYC. Crazy. I'm going to be ticked if she is not thrilled with her gift!!

7 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

By the way I, I purchased tickets to Hamilton on Broadway for my wife's birthday. She loves the soundtrack, etc. Tickets were $350 each with an $87.50 per ticket fee. YIKES!!! Those two tickets cost more than our two flights from Texas to NYC. Crazy. I'm going to be ticked if she is not thrilled with her gift!!

I’ve seen the show twice, first on Broadway pretty early on before the hype had become ridiculous, and second a touring production at the Kennedy Center.   Put it this way: if any Broadway show is worth that kind of money, it’s Hamilton.    Awesome, awesome show.   

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve seen the show twice, first on Broadway pretty early on before the hype had become ridiculous, and second a touring production at the Kennedy Center.   Put it this way: if any Broadway show is worth that kind of money, it’s Hamilton.    Awesome, awesome show.   

It is coming to Baltimoe ,June 24 - July 21st I might go see it I like baseball and a play about Josh Hamilton and his life struggles should be interesting  He had many ups and downs in life.Hooefully is as good as Damn Yankees .

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I remember teams used to announce season tickets sold back in the day. A few still mention it. I don't think the Orioles have mentioned it since they first moved into Camden Yards. Peter Angelos was never exactly too open about things with the fans.  Teams should especially be more open if bonds helped to build the stadium and it is tied to ticket sales.

The Yankees and the Mets play in brand-new stadiums that were funded with municipal bonds tied to ticket sales. The Yankees are investing heavily in having a successful season to attract more fans, while the Mets haven’t done as much. Below, a look at each team’s revenue and attendance since 2009.

Some of those fans purchased at least partial season-ticket plans. The Phillies sold about 9,500 season tickets last season.

They sat at about 11,250 on Friday morning, with a few hundred being sold Thursday.

It is a far cry from the heyday, when Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Cole Hamels and Roy Halladay racked up five consecutive National League East titles, two NL pennants and one World Series championship. The Phils had a 257-game sellout streak at Citizens Bank Park. They capped their season tickets at 28,000.

From 2017:

Twins President Dave St. Peter said that the team at this point in the offseason is "falling behind last year’s season ticket numbers, but he and the team’s front office personnel understand fans taking a wait-and-see approach," according to Sid Hartman of the Minneapolis STAR TRIBUNE. St. Peter: "We have a lot of work to do. We’re coming off 100-plus losses. We knew going into the offseason (it) was going to be challenging from a renewal perspective. ... We’ll go into Opening Day with a season-ticket base of anywhere between 11,000, 12,000, and I’m excited about that." 

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harper-deal-boosts-phillies-ticket-sales

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/01/26/Franchises/Twins.aspx

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20180320/FEATURES/180329999/mets-and-yankees-a-tale-of-two-teams