Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

I don't understand the org pushing Mountcastle into LF, as we appear to be stacked with corner outfielders in the major and minor leagues as it is. Between Diaz, Stewart, Smith, and Santander (not to mention three out of the first seven of our 2019 draft picks being college outfielders) do we really need to add Mountcastle to the OF mix? Even if you assume Smith's offensive production isn't sustainable we still don't have enough roster spots for the guys that look like they're going to be average or better than average for the near future.  At least RM had a clear path to the majors as a first baseman / DH, even if it meant sticking him at a less valuable defensive position.

I think they like to have LF as an option. Rutschman and/or Sisco could be getting a lot of time at first base in a couple years and we still have Mancini and Nunez on the roster. Add Severino and that’s five people for three positions by 2021 if Mancini isn’t traded. Four in 2020. This is all assuming Davis is released. 

You could theoretically have an OF of Mountcastle, Hays, and Santander next season with DJ Stewart mixing in. 

3 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I don't understand the org pushing Mountcastle into LF, as we appear to be stacked with corner outfielders in the major and minor leagues as it is. Between Diaz, Stewart, Smith, and Santander (not to mention three out of the first seven of our 2019 draft picks being college outfielders) do we really need to add Mountcastle to the OF mix? Even if you assume Smith's offensive production isn't sustainable we still don't have enough roster spots for the guys that look like they're going to be average or better than average for the near future.  At least RM had a clear path to the majors as a first baseman / DH, even if it meant sticking him at a less valuable defensive position.

I wouldn’t say that group is “stacked.” Diaz is the only one of that group that profiles to potentially be a solid regular for a competitive major league team and that was before his injuries and struggles early this season. 

The others are a Rule 5 pick, a guy DFA’d by his prior team and Stewart who has rebuilt himself into potentially being a major league regular. 

If Mountcastle can play LF and hit the way we think he can hit, it’s his. 

• Upvote 1

As someone who has been clamoring for him to get a shot in LF for years, I'm happy as all get out to see him getting that shot. This certainly adds value to him and helps alleviate the potential 1B/DH jam that Orioles will have between Mancini, Nunez, Sisco and Rutchsman (when not catching) and some point.

As for that throw, that is plenty of arm for left field. It was accurate and although I would not rate that as a strong arm, he did make an accurate average throw from left field. Mountcastle is not lumbering and should have enough speed out there to cover some ground.

I hope they give him the rest of the season out there and gives the Orioles a much better potential offensive outfield one day in (Mountcastle, Hays, Diaz/Santander). 

Just for dreaming purposes and taking a leap in assumption that Sisco could transition to 3B, but this could be a 2021 lineup.

2021 OD lineup
CF Hays
1B Mancini
C Rutchsman
LF Moutcastle
3B Sisco
RF Diaz/Santander
DH Santander/Stewart (I think Nunez will be moved due to a right-handed heavy lineup and need for left-handed hitter for balance)
2B McCoy/Bannon (somebody else)
SS Martin/McCoy (somebody else)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

We're much more stacked at first with Mancini and even Davis, for as long as he stays. If Mountcastle can lock down left (which I hope he does), then Diaz, Santander, Stewart etc...can fight for right. We then have Hays, McKenna and Mullins as candidates in center.

@Tony-OH I watched most of the game and while he wasn’t really tested out there, he looked competent, no sketchy routes, and he played a double in the corner pretty efficiently and hit the cut off man with a solid throw. I need to see a lot more, but no obvious red flags.

For sure LF the story of the summer now, but I did just see a discouraging bit on the Eye - June wrapped with 33/3 K/BB ratio after 26/5 and 15/3 in April/May. 

So, 10-to-1 instead of 5-to-1.  It doesn't look like the club is going to have any PR problems getting to May 2020.  I think he's young enough it is worth it to curate the extra year, but would be nice to see a little more strain put on the Front Office in terms of what reason to think up.

48 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

@Tony-OH I watched most of the game and while he wasn’t really tested out there, he looked competent, no sketchy routes, and he played a double in the corner pretty efficiently and hit the cut off man with a solid throw. I need to see a lot more, but no obvious red flags.

That's good to hear and saved me some video work. I plan to talk to a few scouts after he's been out there for a month or so and will keep an eye on plays in LF.

32 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

For sure LF the story of the summer now, but I did just see a discouraging bit on the Eye - June wrapped with 33/3 K/BB ratio after 26/5 and 15/3 in April/May. 

So, 10-to-1 instead of 5-to-1.  It doesn't look like the club is going to have any PR problems getting to May 2020.  I think he's young enough it is worth it to curate the extra year, but would be nice to see a little more strain put on the Front Office in terms of what reason to think up.

I wonder what's possible at this point. Those are extreme numbers.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

As someone who has been clamoring for him to get a shot in LF for years, I'm happy as all get out to see him getting that shot. This certainly adds value to him and helps alleviate the potential 1B/DH jam that Orioles will have between Mancini, Nunez, Sisco and Rutchsman (when not catching) and some point.

As for that throw, that is plenty of arm for left field. It was accurate and although I would not rate that as a strong arm, he did make an accurate average throw from left field. Mountcastle is not lumbering and should have enough speed out there to cover some ground.

I hope they give him the rest of the season out there and gives the Orioles a much better potential offensive outfield one day in (Mountcastle, Hays, Diaz/Santander). 

Just for dreaming purposes and taking a leap in assumption that Sisco could transition to 3B, but this could be a 2021 lineup.

2021 OD lineup
CF Hays
1B Mancini
C Rutchsman
LF Moutcastle
3B Sisco
RF Diaz/Santander
DH Santander/Stewart (I think Nunez will be moved due to a right-handed heavy lineup and need for left-handed hitter for balance)
2B McCoy/Bannon (somebody else)
SS Martin/McCoy (somebody else)

BREAKING NEWS: Orioles transitioning Sisco to third base

joking of course. But I was watching the game from the nose bleeds Friday night thinking “Dang this kid can flat out hit.” I don’t know what position would be realistic. Do his issues with throwing out runners have more to do with arm strength or technique? Does he have enough arm to theoretically play the left side of the infield?

16 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

BREAKING NEWS: Orioles transitioning Sisco to third base

joking of course. But I was watching the game from the nose bleeds Friday night thinking “Dang this kid can flat out hit.” I don’t know what position would be realistic. Do his issues with throwing out runners have more to do with arm strength or technique? Does he have enough arm to theoretically play the left side of the infield?

His arm strength is not awful, but he has a slow transition. He would have enough arm for 3B, the question would be the hands and first step quickness.

• Upvote 1