Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Come on Tony!  No one is suggesting they'd rather have him walk than get a hit.  Walks or lack of walks are USUALLY a sign of a hitter who swings at pitches that he can do damage to or a hitter who swings at anything close to the plate.  Mountcastle is hitting the snot out of the ball in AAA but we are hoping he does the same I'm the majors.  Let's use Baumann as an analogy. Should we be happy if he looks great in AA with a fastball slider combo or should we hope that he develops a changeup so he'll be better equipped to have success when he reaches the majors.

We are all Oriole fans.  We want Mountcastle to succeed.  We don't want walks at the expense of production but some hitters actually do more damage when they are more selective than he seems to be.  

The poster literally said "rather see him walk in 3 out of 4 games than homer in 3 out of 4 at this point." Would we all love to see him have plus plate discipline to go along with his power, sure, but the guy is hitting for a high average and that's the biggest difference. I've watched him and it's not like he has no discipline and chases a bunch of crap and then hits mistakes. He's probably going to be like Adam Jones or Trey Mancini with plate discipline, but I betcha he hits for average and power in the big leagues.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Funny how you left out the word "almost" in his quote.  Tony, you're better than that.

Haha, the thoughts was the same. At the end of the day, it amazes me how many people are not looking at the whole picture here, but hey, maybe you haters will end up to be right! 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Haha, the thoughts was the same. At the end of the day, it amazes me how many people are not looking at the whole picture here, but hey, maybe you haters will end up to be right! 

I think the real question is how much will Mountcastle’s lack of plate discipline limit his upside.   There’s little doubt in my mind he can hit well enough to play in the big leagues.   But will his bat look like career Adam Jones (.277/.318/.434) or like 2019 Trey Mancini (.277/.346/.535)?    When you have a Mancini-like set of defensive skills, you hope it’s the latter offensively.    

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the real question is how much will Mountcastle’s lack of plate discipline limit his upside.   There’s little doubt in my mind he can hit well enough to play in the big leagues.   But will his bat look like career Adam Jones (.277/.318/.434) or like 2019 Trey Mancini (.277/.346/.535)?    When you have a Mancini-like set of defensive skills, you hope it’s the latter offensively.    

I think Mountcastle will have a better bat than either of them at his peak. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think he will be closer to Mancini numbers. I also think he will be fine at 1B and will not be a liability there and may end up a decent LF, but will need time for that. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think he will be closer to Mancini numbers. I also think he will be fine at 1B and will not be a liability there and may end up a decent LF, but will need time for that. 

Having another Mancini like bat in the lineup isn’t a bad thing to have. 

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Gabriel Guerrero: .722 OPS in 230 AAA games at ages 22-25 (.586 at age 22).

Nick Williams: .800 OPS in 244 AAA games at ages 22-25.  (.714 at age 22.)

Zach Walters: .784 OPS in 427 AAA games at ages 22-27.  (.545 at age 22.)

Moises Sierra: .763 OPS in 459 AAA games at ages 23-29.

Granting that AAA numbers are way up this year (+.080 average OPS compared to 2018), I really don’t see a comparison here.   Perhaps if Jon reads this he can elaborate.    He mentions Mountcastle is “one of the younger 1B in the International League,” but I think he’s underselling that.   Mountcastle is 4.9 years younger than league average and among the top 100 hitters in the league he’s 5th youngest.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gabriel Guerrero: .722 OPS in 230 AAA games at ages 22-25 (.586 at age 22).

Nick Williams: .800 OPS in 244 AAA games at ages 22-25.  (.714 at age 22.)

Zach Walters: .784 OPS in 427 AAA games at ages 22-27.  (.545 at age 22.)

Moises Sierra: .763 OPS in 459 AAA games at ages 23-29.

Granting that AAA numbers are way up this year (+.080 average OPS compared to 2018), I really don’t see a comparison here.   Perhaps if Jon reads this he can elaborate.    He mentions Mountcastle is “one of the younger 1B in the International League,” but I think he’s underselling that.   Mountcastle is 4.9 years younger than league average and among the top 100 hitters in the league he’s 5th youngest.

To me it looks like he has decided the lack of walks is a fatal flaw and is looking for evidence to support his opinion.