New Rosenthal article on Orioles woes

Going Underground

47 minutes ago, atomic said:

Baltimore County's population is greater than Baltimore City population.  Also if you go to Baltimore Magazine rating of the top 50 restaurants most of them are in the city.  I think suburban and rural people just don't care that much about the quality of the food they are eating. If someone wants to let me know about good restaurants in the county I would be more than happy to keep them in mind. 

I have to say, I do much more of my dining in the suburbs near my house than I do in downtown DC.   There are enough quality restaurants within a 15-minute drive of my house that I usually prefer to do that instead of making the 30-minute drive downtown, search for parking, etc.     Are there more quality restaurants per square mile downtown?   Yes.    Are most of the truly upper echelon restaurants downtown?    Yes again, but I don’t need a regular diet of that stuff.    A couple of times a year is fine.   

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

Ask the area restaurants if the fans fear for their safety.  Ask Rob Long and Ed Norris, guys who have lived in the city for years and now only go to certain places.  I personally am not afraid to go to Orioles or Ravens games, but I don't go to restaurants or any other areas in the city anymore.  Some people need to realize that just because you PERSONALLY are not afraid, you do not speak for everyone.  

I live in the city. It certainly isn't the safest in the country, but it is completely fine. You're going to run into some weird situations sometimes, but that's life anywhere. I think a lot of confirmation bias is involved - especially since some people act like going to Camden Yards is like trekking through downtown Fallujah.

That being said, I do realize a lot of county-dwellers are scared to go into the city. Baltimore needs to work on its image - and there's unfortunately no quick fix for that. The best thing we can do as members of the Baltimore community is to keep believing in it and doing our best individually to make it a better place and help our neighbors out the best we can.

49 minutes ago, byrdz said:

Yeah you see lots of chains (Macaroni Grills, Chili's, etc) in the suburbs most often but there are hidden gems in any small town.

Tuersigals, Stanford Grill, Clydes, Iron Bridge Wine Co, Pachango Cocina Mexicana, Seasons 52,  1/2 dozen places in Little Korea.

No shortage of fine dining in the suburbs.

4 minutes ago, theocean said:

I live in the city. It certainly isn't the safest in the country, but it is completely fine. You're going to run into some weird situations sometimes, but that's life anywhere. I think a lot of confirmation bias is involved - especially since some people act like going to Camden Yards is like trekking through downtown Fallujah.

That being said, I do realize a lot of county-dwellers are scared to go into the city. Baltimore needs to work on its image - and there's unfortunately no quick fix for that. The best thing we can do as members of the Baltimore community is to keep believing in it and doing our best individually to make it a better place and help our neighbors out the best we can.

I live in the suburb, and heck, people have been shot and killed in my own sub-divison, and yes that can be scary, but you have to past the actual event, to see why it happen.

Drug deal gone bad, domestic violence,  fight between two hot heads?

Or random act of violence for no untold reason.

It can happen at home, or at mall.

You cant let yourself be scared, to not enjoy life, you just try and be smart about what you are doing.

13 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Tuersigals, Stanford Grill, Clydes, Iron Bridge Wine Co, Pachango Cocina Mexicana, Seasons 52,  1/2 dozen places in Little Korea.

No shortage of fine dining in the suburbs.

Clydes and Season 52 are chain restaurants.  I would not consider Clydes fine dining.  I have been to them and Iron Bridge before. I have never been Tuersigals but I have thought about going there. Hard to go to Ellicott City for french when I live 5 minutes from Petit Louis Bistro. 

Been to a lot of the Korean restaurants in Ellicott City.  

Sorry but there are more good restaurants in Harbor  East alone than all of the places you named. 

Sure.. and part of being smart about what you're doing may include opting to not go into one of the most dangerous cities in the world just to get a bite to eat. Violence happens everywhere. Humans are violent in general, but there's a difference between being smart and being scared. A dude shot his girlfriend in her car close to my house not too long ago, but I still walk along that route every single day. I will even walk it at night without any fear at all, but this neighborhood isn't among the most dangerous in the country much less the entire world. Big difference.

That said, I don't eat out much. My diet is based on intermittent fasting daily, so I have to work in/compensate for eating out. Silver Spring Station, Loony's and Santini's are nice. Admittedly though, I don't eat out much and don't remember many places I've only been to once. Eating out is not a big part of my life. Eating healthy is, though. Being overweight is not something that is appealing to me.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

. Hard to go to Ellicott City for french when I live 5 minutes from Petit Louis Bistro.

Sir, that is the key, its hard for one to drive further for something, where there are closer alternatives you pass along the way.

There is a place I frequent in Odenton, Jims Hideway. Its not a chain, and not fine dining for some, but they have great food.

1 minute ago, Sessh said:

Sure.. and part of being smart about what you're doing may include opting to not go into one of the most dangerous cities in the world just to get a bite to eat. Violence happens everywhere. Humans are violent in general, but there's a difference between being smart and being scared. A dude shot his girlfriend in her car close to my house not too long ago, but I still walk along that route every single day. I will even walk it at night without any fear at all, but this neighborhood isn't among the most dangerous in the country much less the entire world. Big difference.

That said, I don't eat out much. My diet is based on intermittent fasting daily, so I have to work in/compensate for eating out. Silver Spring Station, Loony's and Santini's are nice. Admittedly though, I don't eat out much and don't remember many places I've only been to once. Eating out is not a big part of my life. Eating healthy is, though. Being overweight is not something that is appealing to me.

But people will go downtown to see Hamilton.Tickets gone very quickly. People actually camped out to get tickets. More concerts ever at Pier Six now MECU Pavilion. Lyric is also doing well That dump arena has many big name concerts Peoole will not go downtown to see a crummy team many times but might go to see something special like Celine Dion or Hamilton ))(

12 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

But people will go downtown to see Hamilton.Tickets gone very quickly. People actually camped out to get tickets. More concerts ever at Pier Six now MECU Pavilion. Lyric is also doing well That dump arena has many big name concerts Peoole will not go downtown to see a crummy team many times but might go to see something special like Celine Dion or Hamilton ))(

Dont forgot monster jam, took my grandboys there and the place was packed.

Drive through the Inner Harbor on any given night and the place is busting at the seams.

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

Clydes and Season 52 are chain restaurants.  I would not consider Clydes fine dining.  I have been to them and Iron Bridge before. 

We have Clyde’s and Seasons 52 in DC and the suburbs, and I’ve been to them often.    I’d agree  they are not “fine dining,” but they’re certainly several cuts above Chili’s and Macaroni Grill.    Downtown Bethesda is loaded with good restaurants, some of which are mini-chains and some of which are stand-alone.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We have Clyde’s and Seasons 52 in DC and the suburbs, and I’ve been to them often.    I’d agree  they are not “fine dining,” but they’re certainly several cuts above Chili’s and Macaroni Grill.    Downtown Bethesda is loaded with good restaurants, some of which are mini-chains and some of which are stand-alone.

Yeah you can get a good meal at either place.  

Archived