Keon Broxton acquired and more (DFA Broxton- Claimed by Mariners))

Legend_Of_Joey

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

How about separating the wheat from the chaff with all due haste?  I get the feeling that Mike Elias is a man in a hurry when it comes to building the foundation for putting the team on the right course.  

That's funny.  I get the feeling that Elias knows its going to be a long haul to get a foundation built.  I don't think he is in a hurry at the major league level.  He is concentrating on the draft and international signings.  Both will take years to have an impact on the majors.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

As a fan I can control  one thing.  Whether I watch or not.   I am not going to watch Hess and Straily.   Why should I.  I would watch Ramirez because I have not seen enough to know how good or bad he will be.

I will watch Broxton for a while to see how good he is.  

If Elias cares about having a watchable team he has to give the fans base something to look at.   He has reached the point where Hess and Straily are not worth watching.  DFAing Ramirez didn't help.

Hyde stating in the presser "What can I do?  This is all I have."  is not a good way to keep the fan base watching.

I understand where you are coming from.  But I lump Ramirez in with Hess and Straily as guys I wouldn't watch.  I mean, I still do but whatever.  My interest in the Orioles doesn't hinge on Yefry Ramirez...but to each their own.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I understand where you are coming from.  But I lump Ramirez in with Hess and Straily as guys I wouldn't watch.  I mean, I still do but whatever.  My interest in the Orioles doesn't hinge on Yefry Ramirez...but to each their own.

Neither do I.  But I have no incentive to watch Hess and Straily give up 5 runs in a short start.

Just now, wildcard said:

But those two are making a habit of it.

You're right.  Ramirez did last year, too.

I'll agree that he didn't get much of a shot this year.  But if Elias is looking at some specific analytics and data that we aren't privy to, well that's probably playing a part.

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

As a fan I can control  one thing.  Whether I watch or not.   I am not going to watch Hess and Straily.   Why should I.  I would watch Ramirez because I have not seen enough to know how good or bad he will be.

I will watch Broxton for a while to see how good he is.  

If Elias cares about having a watchable team he has to give the fans base something to look at.   He has reached the point where Hess and Straily are not worth watching.  DFAing Ramirez didn't help.

Hyde stating in the presser "What can I do?  This is all I have."  is not a good way to keep the fan base watching.

Serious question here. Why should Elias care if fans are watching? His responsibility when it comes to putting butts in the seats is to build the best team he can. That's a long term goal. Whether he admits it or not, this year (and probably next) are throwaway years, with good draft picks the bonus. The picks help the LONG term.

This town proved it in 2012, after 14 losing seasons they came out in DROVES when we got good again. Build it and they will come.

And one point most everyone keeps forgetting... We haven't lost Yefry. 99% sure he passes thru waivers and goes to Norfolk. Or better yet we make a little trade with someone and try someone else new.

37 minutes ago, 24fps said:

How about separating the wheat from the chaff with all due haste?  I get the feeling that Mike Elias is a man in a hurry when it comes to building the foundation for putting the team on the right course.  

Wheat? Wheat? I got news for you, buddy. This whole system is gluten-free.

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That's funny.  I get the feeling that Elias knows its going to be a long haul to get a foundation built.  I don't think he is in a hurry at the major league level.  He is concentrating on the draft and international signings.  Both will take years to have an impact on the majors.

I don't think Elias cares about the ML team in 2019.  I also don't think he cares about the Cedric Mullins' of the world either hence the acquisition of a comlete spare part like Keon Broxton.  The sooner Elias identifies the players already in the system that are worth investing time, money or anything else into the better.  That's what I mean by foundation.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Since we're not competing this year how is this guy worth $500K?  This made me throw up in my mouth a little.  Realistically how many games is he going to play for us and how much of a difference is he going to make?

It’s not $500 k, it’s the ability to spend $500 k on international players who are eligible to be signed between now and June 19 — basically, players who were eligible for signing last July 2 but who nobody has deemed worthy of signing up to now.    The window for signing those guys closes on June 19 and then a new window with a new class (and a new bonus pool) as of this July 2.    

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Since we're not competing this year how is this guy worth $500K?  This made me throw up in my mouth a little.  Realistically how many games is he going to play for us and how much of a difference is he going to make?

Broxton is essentially a free player.  Cedric Mullens is currently hitting .228/.324/.348/.672 at Norfolk.  Broxton's job is to throw Mullins into the deep end of the pool and see what happens.  I think Mullins sinks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If it were me, I'd keep trotting Stevie out there.  No, he's not Paul Blair but he's learning and seems to be getting better.  Plus he can hit a little bit.  

K-BROX is an upgrade with the glove, not with the bat.  How much better is he with the glove?  Guess we'll find out.  Not sure if it's enough to make a huge difference.  

Either way, Stevie has shown he can provide value, I hope they find a way to keep getting him playing time to see if he can keep hitting.

I’m pretty unimpressed with Stevie’s defense.    The Yankees took an extra base on him twice yesterday, and I’ve seen several hits fall in that he simply didn’t get a good jump on.   I’ve also seen about 5 times now where there was poor communication between Wilkerson and either the other outfielder or an infielder.   I think the defensive gap is pretty huge.  And none of that is Wilkerson’s fault; he was thrown out there with no prep time.   I think the fact that neither Smith nor Mancini is particularly good or rangy also magnifies Wilkerson’s shortcomings.   

• Upvote 2