Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

People here are sleeping on Mancini.

"Like, oh my god, he's ALREADY 27 and will probably BE OVER 30 by the time the Orioles are good again.  Like, I just cannnn't have that on my team, everyone has to be under 30."

That dude doesn't slump for very long, he's quick to make adjustments.  He's got a good approach.  

Three months in a row isn't long?

2018-

May 597 OPS

June 674 OPS

July 623 OPS

Sorry for disrupting your rant.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He was hurt.  Sorry for introducing context.

Yes, the great wall contusion that didn't result in a DL stint yet trashed his numbers for three months.

I've heard about that.

What I haven't heard about, I mean other than from you, is how Mancini being an eighth round pick means bupkiss now that he's in the majors.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, the great wall contusion that didn't result in a DL stint yet trashed his numbers for three months.

I've heard about that.

What I haven't heard about, I mean other than from you, is how Mancini being an eighth round pick means bupkiss now that he's in the majors.

I got your bupkiss right here...

I just think that people would be more apt to not write him off if he was a 1st or 2nd round pick.  Comprende?

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I got your bupkiss right here...

I just think that people would be more apt to not write him off if he was a 1st or 2nd round pick.  Comprende?

You lost me when you said you think.  ?

Draft order matters when it comes to prospect lists, not when you are looking at a guy in his third year in the majors.

No one is going "This hot start isn't sustainable because he was selected in the eighth round.".

It's a poor narrative and you should retire it.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You lost me when you said you think.  ?

Draft order matters when it comes to prospect lists, not when you are looking at a guy in his third year in the majors.

No one is going "This hot start isn't sustainable because he was selected in the eighth round.".

It's a poor narrative and you should retire it.

It's a fantastic narrative you can't comprehend, therefore I'll keep it up.  And yes, people are saying that, essentially, because he wasn't highly touted to begin with.  

Guys that get drafted in the later rounds get viewed in a different light.  Look how many chances a guy like Jeffrey Hammonds got, despite not being able to stay healthy for more than 5 minutes.  You think Jeffrey Hammonds would have received all those chances if he were drafted in the 10th round?  

Guys that get drafted in the first round get every opportunity to show that they CAN'T play.  If Mancini was a 1st round pick it'd be all "OMG, he's finally coming into his own, we've got a piece we can build around!" instead of "Hey, what can we trade him for, he can't keep this up...right?!" which is pretty close to saying "This hot start isn't sustainable because he was selected in the eighth round."

He’s been locked in since day one. You can find slumps (statistical) here and there but he was 3rd in ROY voting two seasons ago and hasn’t dropped off since. He’s been the bright spot on the team for two seasons now. It’s exciting to watch him play, how he adjusts and his overall approach to the game. Also actually looks like he’s enjoying himself out there. 

3 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

He’s been locked in since day one. You can find slumps (statistical) here and there but he was 3rd in ROY voting two seasons ago and hasn’t dropped off since. He’s been the bright spot on the team for two seasons now. It’s exciting to watch him play, how he adjusts and his overall approach to the game. Also actually looks like he’s enjoying himself out there. 

Hasn't dropped off since?  He was replacement level last year.  Now he has rebounded but last season did happen.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

I don't care what anyone says, not every player has to be trade bait because we are in a rebuild.Mancini is a keeper. And he'll get better as he grows into his body...He's also a great kid who would be a fan favorite if he stays a while...

I like it.
We don't need to trade everyone just because they may not fit into the rebuilding rulebook.

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hasn't dropped off since?  He was replacement level last year.  Now he has rebounded but last season did happen.

The absolute horror of a 26 year old falling back a bit in his second major league season while still matching his power numbers.