Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one that has to go on the 40 this offseason.

This is important as the Orioles try and stockpile talent in the minors. Here are the players who will need to be added to the 40 man after this season to be protected from the Rule 5 Draft and have a decent chance IMO of being added.

(in rough order of the likelihood of being protected)

Ryan Mountcastle

Yusniel Diaz

Keegan Akin

Dean Kremer

Ryan McKenna

Cody Sedlock

Ofelky Peralta

Brett Cumberland

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

This is important as the Orioles try and stockpile talent in the minors. Here are the players who will need to be added to the 40 man after this season to be protected from the Rule 5 Draft and have a decent chance IMO of being added.

Ryan Mountcastle

Yusniel Diaz

Keegan Akin

Dean Kremer

Ryan McKenna

Cody Sedlock

Ofelky Peralta

Brett Cumberland

Good list. It looks like we could be under a 40 man roster crunch, but I see 10 “pitchers” that could be DFA in the offseason and we wouldn’t miss them. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Ryan Mountcastle

Yusniel Diaz

Keegan Akin

Dean Kremer

Ryan McKenna

Cody Sedlock

Ofelky Peralta

Brett Cumberland

Just want to say thanks for providing the evidence to support my positions when I am too lazy.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Ryan Mountcastle

Yusniel Diaz

Keegan Akin

Dean Kremer

Ryan McKenna

Cody Sedlock

Ofelky Peralta

Brett Cumberland

The top four are “must keep.”   Then there’s a pretty big drop off.   I think if Sedlock earns his way up to Bowie and does well there we might need to protect him.   The others, not so much.   

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Ryan Mountcastle

Yusniel Diaz

Keegan Akin

Dean Kremer

Ryan McKenna

Cody Sedlock

Ofelky Peralta

Brett Cumberland

I think this is the largest list of players that is being talked about that need to be added/protected. A possible sign that we are slowly getting better and deeper in the minors.

30 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I thought Mancini is young and part of our future to build on. I really don't believe we will get much for him. I think teams are going to give us not prospects and low ball us.

Mancini's surplus value is something like a free agent you'd sign to a 3/40 deal.  He's basically a 2-win first baseman with the ability to stand around the OF if you really get in a bind.  The package I'd expect would be a single 50-100ish prospect and a one or two other lower-rated guys.

In 2016 the Astros traded josh fields, who had a 6-something era at the time, to the dodgers for  Yordan Alverez who they had just signed at the beginning of the international signing period. Yordan is now the astros #3 ranked prospect, #42 in top-100 rankings. 

I think mancini will have better value than a 6-something era, but I will not be surprised at all if ME does something similar this year.

8 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

In 2016 the Astros traded josh fields, who had a 6-something era at the time, to the dodgers for  Yordan Alverez who they had just signed at the beginning of the international signing period. Yordan is now the astros #3 ranked prospect, #42 in top-100 rankings. 

I think mancini will have better value than a 6-something era, but I will not be surprised at all if ME does something similar this year.

Remember the Dodgers had signed Álvarez as a lottery ticket, when they traded him away he was still a lottery ticket. Plus the Dodgers are always awash with good prospects, they can easily afford to give away somebody who has legitimate potential. Plus, Alverez Was just a kid. Compared to me, 27 is still just a kid but by baseball terms it’s almost middle-age. I just don’t think Mancini has significant value.Was just a kid. Compared to me, 27 is still just a kid but by baseball terms it’s almost middle-age. I just don’t think Mancini has significant value. Although he’s done amazingly well for a guy who is drafted 249th.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Remember the Dodgers had signed Álvarez as a lottery ticket, when they traded him away he was still a lottery ticket. Plus the Dodgers are always awash with good prospects, they can easily afford to give away somebody who has legitimate potential. Plus, Alverez Was just a kid. Compared to me, 27 is still just a kid but by baseball terms it’s almost middle-age. I just don’t think Mancini has significant value.Was just a kid. Compared to me, 27 is still just a kid but by baseball terms it’s almost middle-age. I just don’t think Mancini has significant value. Although he’s done amazingly well for a guy who is drafted 249th.

I'm not comparing mancini to alverez, im comparing mancini to josh fields. You helped prove my point. I wouldn't be surprised if ME traded some guys for young lottery tickets this summer. 

15 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

I'm not comparing mancini to alverez, im comparing mancini to josh fields. You helped prove my point. I wouldn't be surprised if ME traded some guys for young lottery tickets this summer. 

That’s a valid point. It is unlikely for Mancini to bring back any established players of any significance, or any high-ranking prospects, but if Mike trusts his analysts, He may well see some guys in that are being undervalued but have significant upside.

I could see that.