Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I hated it at the time though I somehow missed voting in the poll.  I hated it again in my comment in the thread in 2016. And now.  It was the worst Duquette move imho.   I think I said something like wishing Dan had gone to Toronto...lol.  Trading our remaining top pitching prospect for two months of a left fielder that did not move the needle in a season that was not going anywhere fast anyway.  I supported the Arrieta deal at the time, the Miller deal absolutely then and niw, the Norris for Hader deal at the time and even now it made sense...I understood them.   But that deal for Parra and the Snider deal were just completely perplexing.  And, of course, Dan never deigned to explain his thinking to us fans anyway except for rosy, spin comments.   But, hey, that is all water under the bridge and we are moving on!!  

On a Cubs blog, they were speculating about Trey and postulated Ian Happ and Adbert Alzolay coming back.  Thoughts about that scenario?  Sounds pretty fair to me off first glance. 

https://cubbiescrib.com/2019/12/05/chicago-cubs-trey-mancini-trade-target/

The answer was simple ...He was trying to win! They were unable to get anything better based on the fact that nobody valued our system. So they settled for 2nd tier moves as it was the bext they could do

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It wasn't a team that could win.

I think that's irrelevant.... They were competitive and fans were buying tickets. They did what they could with what they had to offer. I think the moves were thoroughly disappointing and did nothing to move the needle. But I think the outcry would've been considerable if they had done nothing.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I think that's irrelevant.... They were competitive and fans were buying tickets. They did what they could with what they had to offer. I think the moves were thoroughly disappointing and did nothing to move the needle. But I think the outcry would've been considerable if they had done nothing.

What?

So the proper move for a GM is to trade future assets for present assets when he knows that the team is not going make the playoffs?

Because he's scared of being criticized by the fanbase?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

What?

So the proper move for a GM is to trade future assets for present assets when he knows that the team is not going make the playoffs?

Because he's scared of being criticized by the fanbase?

He was trying to win ....Likely with pressure from Angelos

I'm not saying that he cared or listened to fans! 

Corn you know as well as I do that the fans here would've went off the deep end if they did nothing. Probably not all but many!

Just now, Roll Tide said:

He was trying to win ....Likely with pressure from Angelos

I'm not saying that he cared or listened to fans! 

Corn you know as well as I do that the fans here would've went off the deep end if they did nothing. Probably not all but many!

The team needed a lot more help than Parra.  If he couldn't realize that he wasn't doing his job very well.  That team wasn't close.

If you check the Parra thread you will see posters who "went off the deep end" for him trading a future asset for Parra.

50 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

On a Cubs blog, they were speculating about Trey and postulated Ian Happ and Adbert Alzolay coming back.  Thoughts about that scenario?  Sounds pretty fair to me off first glance. 

https://cubbiescrib.com/2019/12/05/chicago-cubs-trey-mancini-trade-target/

That article also speculates on younger arms instead of MLB ready talent, mentioning Justin Steele or Ryan Jensen. 

I'd vote no on Jensen since he's 44 years old. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The team needed a lot more help than Parra.  If he couldn't realize that he wasn't doing his job very well.  That team wasn't close.

If you check the Parra thread you will see posters who "went off the deep end" for him trading a future asset for Parra.

I think we can agree that Peter was involved 

39 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Not from me.   It was not a good move then or now.  But, it is irrelevant that's for sure because Dan is no longer running the Orioles and we are going to be doing things very differently I believe and already have been. 

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think we can agree that Peter was involved 

No I don't agree with that.  I think that was Dan Duquette's call period.  I get a little tired of palming off EVERY bad decision away from Dan and on to Angelos.  Davis, sure.  But the Parra trade for Zach Davies?   I don't believe he was likely involved any at all unless you can show me evidence somewhere that proves your point.  

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Not from me.   It was not a good move then or now.  But, it is irrelevant that's for sure because PETER is no longer running the Orioles and we are going to be doing things very differently I believe and already have been. 

I fixed it for you.... I think many Orioles GMs has similar issues

17 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

That article also speculates on younger arms instead of MLB ready talent, mentioning Justin Steele or Ryan Jensen. 

I'd vote no on Jensen since he's 44 years old. 

Maybe they meant Jackie Jensen.....he had a cumulative 27.9 WAR....oh, he would be 92....so probably not...lol.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

No I don't agree with that.  I think that was Dan Duquette's call period.  I get a little tired of palming off EVERY bad decision away from Dan and on to Angelos.  Davis, sure.  But the Parra trade for Zach Davies?   I don't believe he was likely involved any at all unless you can show me evidence somewhere that proves your point.  

Angelos had a long history of meddling 

IMO Pat Gillick and Frank Wren is all the proof you should need.