Orioles call up D.J. Stewart

MurphDogg

He is much more athletic than given credit for. If we can give Stevie a look in CF he can get a chance in RF. 

Most important thing for me is he gets a real look and not just a couple of weeks. Was hoping he got this out of the gate.  

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

When I think of slow baserunners Matt Wieters is the first player that comes to mind.

Nobody beats Ernie Lombardi.  Once lined a ball off the LF wall and was thrown out at first.  Helps that he predated most film/video so we're free to embellish the legends.

I don't think Wieters is any slower than Harold Baines, Sam Horn or half the backup catchers in the league.  David Wells and Sid Fernandez would have ruptured an artery trying to run a 40.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Stewart is starting in RF tonight, batting 6th.

Crazy splits this year in a SSS.  

I assume they give Broxton a good look as well. Stevie can be super utility. This may indirectly take more at bats from Martin.  

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nobody beats Ernie Lombardi.  Once lined a ball off the LF wall and was thrown out at first.  Helps that he predated most film/video so we're free to embellish the legends.

I don't think Wieters is any slower than Harold Baines, Sam Horn or half the backup catchers in the league.  David Wells and Sid Fernandez would have ruptured an artery trying to run a 40.

And the infielders played on the outfield grass when he was up.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

No he isn't.  Unless of course your definition of DH is anyone that isn't plus in the field.

His position is every player is above average on defense, gets 2 hits per game, OPS's 800, saves a baby on the way to the park (helping granny across the street is acceptable), or is worthless.

Looking at schedule I hope they try around June 20 to go with a 4 man bench. More off days until July 19 when they play 12 straight. 

That will buy one of Davis/Trumbo is back but not both. Hope Stewart rakes. Guess Broxton could be gone and go back to Stevie in CF as well and keep both. 

That would be quite the bench. A backup C, Alberto? and 2 DH/COF types. 

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Baines was slow because of a knee injury. Maybe Wieters had an injury growing up, but he seems to be naturally gifted at being a slow runner. I know the feeling, I can't sprint to save my life. 

44 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I don't know, how should I rate a COF prospect with below average speed/range and an arm that couldn't throw a hand grenade thru a pane glass window from 100 feet.

Another guy to get his ML chance with the 2019 O's but like Smith Jr. , Nunez, etc. he is not a ML regular.

Why do the O's have an entire system full of DH/1B types? That was the old incompetent regime right? I hope so.

I'm happy Stewart's coming up. He's earned it. Was nice to my kid. His bat is working right now. But make no mistake about it, the defense might not be minus, but it's not plus either. His bat will make or break him. 

The good news is that his approach is a plus approach w/r/t OBP. If he can continue to hit for power and/or a higher average than he has until recently, he could stick. 

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm happy Stewart's coming up. He's earned it. Was nice to my kid. His bat is working right now. But make no mistake about it, the defense might not be minus, but it's not plus either. His bat will make or break him. 

The good news is that his approach is a plus approach w/r/t OBP. If he can continue to hit for power and/or a higher average than he has until recently, he could stick. 

I'll sign on for more of what we saw last year.