Orioles call up D.J. Stewart

MurphDogg

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was shocked that the infield chopper was scored as a hit — it looked like a clear error to me.    But I will give credit to Stewart for busting his butt getting down the line, which created the pressure that caused the mistake.     

In Baltimore, it's a hit. Detroit, that's an error.

He definitely was hustling. 

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was shocked that the infield chopper was scored as a hit — it looked like a clear error to me.    But I will give credit to Stewart for busting his butt getting down the line, which created the pressure that caused the mistake.     

I’m more impressed with his approach. Sees a lot of pitches and looks like he has a plan.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

I’m more impressed with his approach. Sees a lot of pitches and looks like he has a plan.

Yes, that’s impressive too.   Maybe the most disciplined hitter we’ve had since Markakis left town.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, that’s impressive too.   Maybe the most disciplined hitter we’ve had since Markakis left town.   

Very similar approach to Nick. I think Stewart has more of a tendency to pull rather than use the whole field like Markakis.

Stolen Bases as a Percentage of Plate Appearances, DJ Stewart

2015 268 4 1.49%
2016 502 26 5.18%
2017 540 20 3.70%
2018 537 13 2.42%
2019 191 5 2.62%

Same stats, but SB/1B+BB+IBB+HBP (times he got on 1B) instead of PA

2015 61 4 6.56%
2016 154 26 16.88%
2017 156 20 12.82%
2018 137 13 9.49%
2019 59 5 8.47%

He could run really well in as high as AA, but either he got slower or his game changed... he's not the same guy that was 4th in the O's system in stolen bases in 2016.

But the speed is there somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Stolen Bases as a Percentage of Plate Appearances, DJ Stewart

2015 268 4 1.49%
2016 502 26 5.18%
2017 540 20 3.70%
2018 537 13 2.42%
2019 191 5 2.62%

He could run really well in as high as AA, but either he got slower or his game changed... he's not the same guy that was 4th in the O's system in stolen bases in 2016.

But the speed is there somewhere.

The higher in the minors you go, the better the pitchers and catchers are at controlling the running game.    

Sally League: 1455 SB in 1906 games (.76 per game)

Carolina League: 1032/1380 (.75)

Eastern League: 1193/1664 (.72)

International League: 1084/1948 (.56)

I suspect the big drop from AA to AAA is that most teams populate their AAA teams with veteran catchers who are good defensively.   

That doesn’t explain all of Stewart’s drop, but I think it explains a good bit of it.    I remember Stewart in an interview at the end of 2017 said he was proud of stealing 20 bases while stealing in the right situations rather than just to accumulate numbers.   

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The higher in the minors you go, the better the pitchers and catchers are at controlling the running game.    

International League: 1084/1948 (.56)

I suspect the big drop from AA to AAA is that most teams populate their AAA teams with veteran catchers who are good defensively.   

Piggybacking off this comment: does the MLB have better running game control than AAA? It seems intuitive that it would, but it might stand to reason that the MLB would value hitting over defense and keep their defensive catchers in AAA (when, of course, the MLB catcher isn't both). Is that the case?

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Piggybacking off this comment: does the MLB have better running game control than AAA? It seems intuitive that it would, but it might stand to reason that the MLB would value hitting over defense and keep their defensive catchers in AAA (when, of course, the MLB catcher isn't both). Is that the case?

.51 SB/game in MLB last year, so a little lower than AAA.

Loved his ABs last night. 

Sisco has cooled off a bit over his last 10. I want to see him reignite before I entertain a call up. He's been ridiculously streaky in the minors. I don't know who the real Sisco is. We know who the real Stewart is because he's consistently had an OBP of at least 90 points above his average at every stop of the minor leagues. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Loved his ABs last night. 

Sisco has cooled off a bit over his last 10. I want to see him reignite before I entertain a call up. He's been ridiculously streaky in the minors. I don't know who the real Sisco is. We know who the real Stewart is because he's consistently had an OBP of at least 90 points above his average at every stop of the minor leagues. 

Im not too worried about Sisco's bat.

Its his defensive work that has my concern.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im not too worried about Sisco's bat.

Its his defensive work that has my concern.

Agree. And in that regard, we DO know who Sisco is because he's been pretty consistently poor in that area. But I'm in no way giving up on the guy. I think he's more exciting than Wynns, but I don't know that he's going to be any kind of stud for us. And the bat has a tendency to just vanish on us.

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agree. And in that regard, we DO know who Sisco is because he's been pretty consistently poor in that area. But I'm in no way giving up on the guy. I think he's more exciting than Wynns, but I don't know that he's going to be any kind of stud for us. And the bat has a tendency to just vanish on us.

Caleb showed that if a person wants to become better defensively, with lots of work, they can.

Im not too worried about the bat, most hitters not named Trout, go through slumps all season long, you just hope its not a long slump.

You put enough good bats in the lineup, you dont have to depend on 1 or 2 to carry the team,

Archived