There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just like right now we have an idea we may be picking 1:1 next year.  

Yeah, though we might have some competition.  This time last year it felt like we were running away with it.

If they go with Witt I'd be alright with it, I guess.  Maybe, we'll see.  If they don't take AR or Witt...scorched earth.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the surface, This looks like a very bad idea. When you are a first time GM, and everybody in the world is expecting you to take one guy, the last thing you need to do is take somebody else.

Rutschman is by all accounts a complete player. The others are less so. We need a catcher in the worst way. We need everything, but our position player need is strongest at catcher.

If we pick anyone else there better be a veeeeery good reason.

34 minutes ago, Sessh said:

I have read a little about Vaughn and I'm not sure why everyone would be so mad if we took him. He is regarded by pretty much everyone as the best pure hitter in the class with above average power. I also read a lot about him having the best plate discipline of the class as well. There's apparently also injury concerns with Rutschman's shoulder? Vaughn is consistently ranked either #2 or #3 in this draft, so I wouldn't see it as being a bad choice at all. Why does everyone hate Vaughn and why are people not more concerned about Rutschman's injury history?

Why do we need yet another first baseman? We have Truly, “an embarrassment of riches” at the position...And I mean that both ways. And even if he is the best first baseman in the world, competent-competent, mind, not elite- first baseman are easy to find, and competent catchers are not.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Never been so ready for something so good to just get over with.

Odd feeling. 

I agree.  It's an adrenaline shot for the summer ahead, for sure.  Even though I am enjoying this team much more than last years, it's getting hard to watch.  Getting some new blood in the system later this summer will be good to see.

We've also got two more picks tomorrow, don't forget.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, though we might have some competition.  This time last year it felt like we were running away with it.

If they go with Witt I'd be alright with it, I guess.  Maybe, we'll see.  If they don't take AR or Witt...scorched earth.

I heard Witt  on XM last week... really hard to find anything wrong with him. No clue how legit his baseball skills are, but the human element is all there.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just like right now we have an idea we may be picking 1:1 next year.  

Yeah. Only 7 left with NYY but 12 with Boston and 14 with Tampa. That’s 33 games. 70 other games. 

18-41. Hard to see more than 40 wins tops. That would be 58-104. 

I think that is generous. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.  It's an adrenaline shot for the summer ahead, for sure.  Even though I am enjoying this team much more than last years, it's getting hard to watch.  Getting some new blood in the system later this summer will be good to see.

We've also got two more picks tomorrow, don't forget.  

Yep. They are getting harder to watch. I hope Sisco does well but I have my doubts. Really hope Hays can get up here after he stays healthy for awhile. 

Looking forward to seeing these new picks along with the players already in the minors development and really want to go to a couple of MiL games this summer. 

Let’s hope we look back 5 years from now and hit on more than just the first pick. 

Elias said on Friday they were considering four kids - there is also the obvious misdirection in all of this - but that's what he said.  For me it's AR over Witt... and that's it.  I don't see two others worthy of discussion at 1:1  

Archived