An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

On 2/7/2020 at 5:15 PM, Frobby said:

Just a note that many college teams begin their schedule next Friday, including ASU  (Torkelson), Vanderbilt (Martin) and Georgia (Hancock).     Let the fun begin!   I remember how Rutschman just raked from day one of the college season last year.   That was fun to follow.   

I've been managing myself a week or two to make it to Friday before kicking off NCAA season talk as it'll be those guys debuts and we'll find out if Hancock earns the Bulldogs Friday night gig over Wilcox.  But with the caravan stoking enthusiasm, here goes...

I'm wondering if we should construe Elias's good shortstop prospect comment as a tea leaf Martin will have an edge on the third guy if he makes it to the second pick.

My start of season feelings towards the three principals:

-Torkelson is one I don't want because I hope - in pickup basketball terms - that in Mancini/Mountcastle/Hays/Diaz/Santander we "have our five" for LF/CF/RF/1B/DH on the next good team.

-Martin is one I don't want purely as a Lindor Cohort enthusiast.  The moment he becomes the pick is I guess the moment in visualizing supplementing 2022's roster it maybe needs a pivot to the Verlander/Scherzer/Greinke/Kershaw cohort, which while great as a Super Sutcliffe to shepherd in the next good team, feels like a longer shot, plus doesn't fulfill the 5-year Rutschman bookend the payroll should be able to support by Adley Years 2-7.  That said, Martin and a Tejada-level infield FA would both be able to be deployed.

-Process of elimination gives Hancock as the one I'm pulling for, at least in terms of the crudest outline of sketching a 2022 roster makeup.  Pulling for more in the sense of him being the one that actualizes as the second BPA in the group.  Maybe even BPA period, as long as he isn't too conspicuous about it, as the Tigers cornerstones already tilt pitching, and Tork/Martin (if they can stay close to an improving Hancock) could balance with Mize/Manning better than another pitcher.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

I've been managing myself a week or two to make it to Friday before kicking off NCAA season talk as it'll be those guys debuts and we'll find out if Hancock earns the Bulldogs Friday night gig over Wilcox.  But with the caravan stoking enthusiasm, here goes...

I'm wondering if we should construe Elias's good shortstop prospect comment as a tea leaf Martin will have an edge on the third guy if he makes it to the second pick.

My start of season feelings towards the three principals:

-Torkelson is one I don't want because I hope - in pickup basketball terms - that in Mancini/Mountcastle/Hays/Diaz/Santander we "have our five" for LF/CF/RF/1B/DH on the next good team.

-Martin is one I don't want purely as a Lindor Cohort enthusiast.  The moment he becomes the pick is I guess the moment in visualizing supplementing 2022's roster it maybe needs a pivot to the Verlander/Scherzer/Greinke/Kershaw cohort, which while great as a Super Sutcliffe to shepherd in the next good team, feels like a longer shot, plus doesn't fulfill the 5-year Rutschman bookend the payroll should be able to support by Adley Years 2-7.  That said, Martin and a Tejada-level infield FA would both be able to be deployed.

-Process of elimination gives Hancock as the one I'm pulling for, at least in terms of the crudest outline of sketching a 2022 roster makeup.  Pulling for more in the sense of him being the one that actualizes as the second BPA in the group.  Maybe even BPA period, as long as he isn't too conspicuous about it, as the Tigers cornerstones already tilt pitching, and Tork/Martin (if they can stay close to an improving Hancock) could balance with Mize/Manning better than another pitcher.

I’m agnostic.     Just get us a guy who turns out to be a stud.    That’s literally all I care about.    

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2020 at 4:28 PM, Gatoriole said:

I haven't seen enough of him there either, but it's been my impression is he would be a Mancini or Schwarber in the outfield. If you draft Tork, it's probably as a 1B/DH. If you don't want a corner defender or college RHP (Hancock), then right now you're probably looking at Nick Gonzales (assuming Austin Martin goes #1). 

But there's a whole season to be played for players to rise, particularly a high schooler. 

Personally, right now, I'd be happy with Martin or Hancock and would prefer to avoid Tork. But we'll see. I won't be surprised if a high schooler ends up being in the discussion.

Exactly where I'm at right now.

9 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

https://georgiadogs.com/sports/baseball/schedule/2020

500 game time for Georgia's opener today.  Pregame story sayseth:

Hancock will be starting the season opener for the second year in a row. He carried a no-hitter to the seventh in the 2019 season-opening win over Dayton. Wilcox and Smith are slated to start Saturday and Sunday.

Hancock got roughed up pretty good today. 4IP 6ER and just 4Ks...

14 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Meanwhile, following in Joseph Ortiz's footsteps, Nick Gonzales did indeed go across to SS in New Mexico State's opener (plus 2 XBH and a BB in 5 PA).  I'm much more open to him on the first tier if he is a "real" SS and only happened to not be last year because Ortiz was even better.

https://www.ncaa.com/game/3983297

I love Gonzalez’ swing. I’m a big fan and would love if we got him 

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Just got to Athens to watch my old squad (UR) Play my wife’s alma mater (UGA). Fun weekend for kids.  We missed the spiders knocking Hancock around last night.  Excited to get a good look at Cole Wilcox.  Will try to get some video.

Awesome,  some video would be sweet if you get the chance. Have fun!

Will try to figure out how to post the video from my phone.   I was very impressed With Cole Wilcox. Big big boy.  6’5” 230 very well built.  Sat 95/96 through 5 and hit 98 a few times.  Only saw 94 a few times.  Curve ball 86-88.  Great command.   

Rocker (1-0) ran into trouble just once, allowing UConn to take a 1-0 lead on a bases loaded walk in the second. The sophomore settled down, retiring the next three batters. He held the Huskies (0-2) hitless with runners aboard (0-for-3) and to a .105 average (2-for-19) overall.

Rocker permitted three walks and one run (none earned) while striking out nine across six innings.

https://vucommodores.com/win-column/

• Upvote 1