An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

9 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I want the O's to try and get Blaze Jordan this draft. 

Jordon is currently in the #30-ish range for the 2020 draft. My guess is that he’ll drop down a bit further in favor of college players who have a good year. As things stand right now I can’t imagine the Orioles taking him with the 30th or 39th pick unless he shows improvement to his defense. 

He strikes me as a guy who’s top potential is Pete Incaviglia. 

1 minute ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Jordon is currently in the #30-ish range for the 2020 draft. My guess is that he’ll drop down a bit further in favor of college players who have a good year. As things stand right now I can’t imagine the Orioles taking him with the 30th or 39th pick unless he shows improvement to his defense. 

He strikes me as a guy who’s top potential is Pete Incaviglia. 

I think where he is now, he's worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's that interesting with the bat. 

• 2 weeks later...

Veen's stock is shooting way up. I actually picked him in November.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:57 PM, Spl51 said:

High school pitching is a no that high up, and none of them blow me away. The high school position players are mostly interchangeable tall center fielders, the infielders seem pretty far behind. Of them I like Zac Veen the most, but I'm pretty bad at scouting high school players.

I would consider reaching for him at 1-2, you might get a discount and be able to get a mid 1st round level talent in the comp round. I really like all 3 of the top 3 college players, but man I really like Veen's swing.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Veen's stock is shooting way up. I actually picked him in November.

I would consider reaching for him at 1-2, you might get a discount and be able to get a mid 1st round level talent in the comp round. I really like all 3 of the top 3 college players, but man I really like Veen's swing.

Yes, agree. He has added 15-20 pounds of muscle according to two reports I have read. The Scorpions people I know rave about this kid's upside and work ethic. Solid athleticism, probably a corner OF. Not sure he can play CF in pro ball, and the arm, to me, is probably average in RF. Goes to the same high school that Austin Hays went to, Spruce Creek. 

8 hours ago, joelala said:

If he’s likely only a corner OF, no way I’d consider reaching. If we want a corner OF, give me Torkelson and I’ll happily pay more for the significantly higher floor. 

What likelihood do you place on Torkelson being able to play corner OF in the majors?

On 2/5/2020 at 4:24 PM, MountUrCastle said:

I'd avoid Hancock with my life

Based on what? 

I've watched a lot of Hancock, there's not many holes you can poke in his game. He sits upper-mid 90's with a plus change, above average slider and command, both of which project to be plus. Obviously I would prefer a position player to avoid risk, but it completely depends tons of factors. College pitchers who have proven it have much less risk, and we have no knowledge of what his medicals look like. Ace pitchers don't grow on trees.

1 hour ago, MountUrCastle said:

Any opinions on Bitsko?

If you'd avoid Hancock with your life, then a high school righty like Bitsko isn't worth consideration. Hancock is Bitsko's 10th percentile outcome in 3 years.

• Upvote 3

I think we might be sleeping on how good Torkelson is. This draft appears to be really deep in pitching and we have a bunch of picks. 

I think part of Elias’ strategy is that he can identify NCAA SP that other teams don’t value as much because of analytics. That might be able to fill out the #3-#5 spots in the rotation, but usually the raw talent has to be there to be a legit #1/#2. 

10 hours ago, Gatoriole said:

What likelihood do you place on Torkelson being able to play corner OF in the majors?

Good point, I can’t say with any confidence he’d be a defensive asset out there. but just looking at the way he moves and his body composition, I’d say he could at the very very least be Mancini-level. Also don’t know anything about his arm. 

8 hours ago, joelala said:

Good point, I can’t say with any confidence he’d be a defensive asset out there. but just looking at the way he moves and his body composition, I’d say he could at the very very least be Mancini-level. Also don’t know anything about his arm. 

I haven't seen enough of him there either, but it's been my impression is he would be a Mancini or Schwarber in the outfield. If you draft Tork, it's probably as a 1B/DH. If you don't want a corner defender or college RHP (Hancock), then right now you're probably looking at Nick Gonzales (assuming Austin Martin goes #1). 

But there's a whole season to be played for players to rise, particularly a high schooler. 

Personally, right now, I'd be happy with Martin or Hancock and would prefer to avoid Tork. But we'll see. I won't be surprised if a high schooler ends up being in the discussion.

18 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Based on what? 

I've watched a lot of Hancock, there's not many holes you can poke in his game. He sits upper-mid 90's with a plus change, above average slider and command, both of which project to be plus. Obviously I would prefer a position player to avoid risk, but it completely depends tons of factors. College pitchers who have proven it have much less risk, and we have no knowledge of what his medicals look like. Ace pitchers don't grow on trees.

If you'd avoid Hancock with your life, then a high school righty like Bitsko isn't worth consideration. Hancock is Bitsko's 10th percentile outcome in 3 years.

I don't like pitchers early (1-10) and I generally prefer players as young as possible. Which, is on me a bit because for whatever reason I had this consistent idea Hancock was 22, and I have no clue where in gods name it came from. 

I would prefer positional players at 1OA but if 30 comes and Bitsko is there, I'd jump all over him. He's a 17 year old who throws mid 90s on the fastball and IMO while there is more risk, the ability to get a player into your minors before their 18 is wonderful for controlling and managing their development. (Which, pre 2018, I would have never suggested for a minute given the Orioles prior history of DnD.) Not to mention that prior to his reclassification, he was a top-10 prospect for the 2021 draft. That's ceiling to bet on and in the event that Hancock goes first, I wouldn't be upset to swing at that.

Just a note that many college teams begin their schedule next Friday, including ASU  (Torkelson), Vanderbilt (Martin) and Georgia (Hancock).     Let the fun begin!   I remember how Rutschman just raked from day one of the college season last year.   That was fun to follow.   

• Upvote 1