Hyde postgame

eddie83

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Does that mean Broxton goes bye bye? Talking to Sabtander while a guy takes second I know Alberto can hit but he gets lazy in the field.Villar also can be lazy.

Just wait until they post it. He wasn’t loud or yelling but he was pissed. Look at his eyes. 

I missed most of game today but followed on phone. Didn’t see Broxton play. He won’t be here long. 

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I feel for him. I guess he’s not perfect either, but this is his first rodeo. He’s in a no-win situation (quite literally).

Could you imagine your job is to dig holes but management doesn’t have any shovels?

Basically said we have to play perfect to beat good teams. Last night was embarrassing.  

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Just wait until they post it. He wasn’t loud or yelling but he was pissed. Look at his eyes. 

I missed most of game today but followed on phone. Didn’t see Broxton play. He won’t be here long. 

Did not see the game but played sloppy again. Severino struck out and the ball got away from the catcher and he just walked to the dugout.Said at least make him throw to first.Wilkerson missed cut off man again.Runner got to third and then scored when Alberto whiffed on a ball.

Some of what he said:

The bottom line is we have to play almost perfect to win against good clubs,” manager Brandon Hyde said. “Last night was embarrassing and tonight was just real sloppy defensively.

“Walking the leadoff hitter in the ninth inning in a two-run game, falling asleep on defense in the outfield, not catching the ball on the infield, breaking too early in a stolen base attempt which allows a run, not catching the ball on a stolen base attempt, a lot of things that we can’t do because we can’t overcome them. We’re not talented enough offensively, we don’t have shutdown guys on the mound to be able to win. So we have to play almost perfect and we just didn't. 

“I’m going to steal a Joe Maddon term here I heard when he got to Tampa, we’re taking inventory of what we have,” Hyde said.

“That’s the way to look at it. We’re taking inventory of the players that we have, who’s going  to be around for us when we’re good. Just evaluating our players. Our guys are getting an incredible opportunity and at times I feel like we take advantage of them for the most part.

“Days like the last couple days, guys haven’t. They need to start appreciating the opportunity that they’re getting. We’ve just got to clean up a lot of things defensively and on the mound.”

• Thanks 3

I feel like this was only a matter of time with Hyde. Its one thing to lack talent but to consistently mess up fundamental things is unaccceptable. 

If they had any other options to play center I'd cut Broxton immediately, he is what he is at this point. I would have DFA'd strailey following last night's nights game as well. 

I think Wilkerson gets optioned back down when Smith jr comes back. Santander has shown more ability IMO though in a small sample size.

To be honest, I haven’t even been impressed with Broxton defensively, and that is supposed to be his strength.  He’s not a good hitter, so if he’s making mistakes defensively, he basically offers no value to this team.  His speed is wasted because he can’t even get on base, so opportunities for him to steal are minimal as it is.  I would rather just bring Mullins back up to play center and let him take his lumps in the majors.  At least he has proven to be a good defender.

Straily was a failed experiment and is a waste of a roster spot at this point.  He was never that good to begin with, and now he’s not even useful as a reliever.

If I’m Elias, I’m designating both players for assignment and giving other guys opportunities.  They can’t be any worse than Broxton & Straily have been.  Even though Villar and Alberto tend to get lazy in the field at times (and in Villar’s case, foolish on the bases as well), at least they have been mostly productive overall and bring some value to the team.

• Upvote 2