Is the 2019 Season a Blatant Tank Job?

wildbillhiccup

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

At some point they need to stick Ortiz in the bigs in the pen and see how it works. They'll need his 40-man spot by next year so they need to evaluate him now. Might as well as be in Straily's role.

Well, I certainly don't follow them in the minors like several do here (yourself included).  We talk about not rushing them, so IDK if he's really proved he is ready.  That part I'll defer to others, but they certainly can't call up everyone until someone does better.  At some point they will run out of options.  Not saying keep Straily either, but at some point people will need to understand/accept this is the team we have and this approach was the plan.  

On some levels it feels like we as a fan base, are feeling the losing in ways like the team.  Sometimes I wonder if they all start pressing to simply win one game.  Then guys we know generally can pitch, like Givens just over throw or lose something trying too hard.  Then it spirals even worse.  Makes me think of the Quicksand reference from the movie the Replacements.  Falco WAS a deep guy ;)  Haha.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Outside of Atomic, who beats to some strange drum that no one can understand, can we all just agree that none of us want Straily on the team? 

Honestly, I'd rather them sink or swim with Ortiz as the mop up guy.

I'd be ok with Ortiz. He doesn't look like anything special, but I doubt he would be much better than Straily. I would like Kline brought back up as I think he has some potential based on what I saw of him this year. I also want to see Tom Eshelman brought up and put into the rotation. He has thrown nearly 300 innings there so far. He was very dominant there in 2017, fell apart in 2018 which dragged into the beginning of this season, but has returned to 2017 form over the last five starts in AAA. I don't think there's anyone at Norfolk who is more ready for a chance in the majors at this point. I've seen enough of Ynoa personally. I want to see Eshelman get his shot and see what he can do.

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

So, 4 of the last 6 World Series winners have followed a similar plan, but they are going to change everything because it's Baltimore? 

My only gripe about the current situation is that they are using players that have zero chance of being here in a couple of years. I would have preferred it if some of the actual younger prospects were introduced into the plan in phases, rather than trying to bring them all up at one time.

Just my opinion, but I don't think either of the future OF's will be the next player that you have to worry about keeping for the extra year. That's not to imply that they won't have successful careers, just not guys that will be superstars.

I only know of one team among the last 10 that won less than 60 games during a rebuild.  You must be thinking of another sport.

32 minutes ago, Sessh said:

I'd be ok with Ortiz. He doesn't look like anything special, but I doubt he would be much better than Straily. I would like Kline brought back up as I think he has some potential based on what I saw of him this year. I also want to see Tom Eshelman brought up and put into the rotation. He has thrown nearly 300 innings there so far. He was very dominant there in 2017, fell apart in 2018 which dragged into the beginning of this season, but has returned to 2017 form over the last five starts in AAA. I don't think there's anyone at Norfolk who is more ready for a chance in the majors at this point. I've seen enough of Ynoa personally. I want to see Eshelman get his shot and see what he can do.

Well maybe that’s what needs to happen.

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

I only know of one team among the last 10 that won less than 60 games during a rebuild.  You must be thinking of another sport.

What part of similar plan made you decide to pull a 60 win number? I get mad at myself for trying to have a grown up conversation with you, but I fail to understand why would you even bother with following this team? 

I don't like what the team is doing... that's why I said earlier I've kinda stepped back from following as much as usual. That being said, why sit around and belly ache about something that will probably not change for a while? I'm sure that if you created a poll most everyone would know where your opinion is.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You know, you are allowed any opinion you like, but when you say idiocy like this, it really takes away from the times that you actually make some good points. 

If I start to sensing you are just trolling, and this comment would seem to be for no other reason than you are looking for attention, then I'll consider giving you a break from the site for awhile.

How is what I am saying trolling? I said before the season started that this was the worst team of all time and that Elias should have signed some guys for a million or two and signed guys to minor league contracts with opt outs.  The team is under an obligation to put a major league team out there.  I think Elias didn’t do his job.  If ownership didn’t allow him to spend any money at all he should have turned the job down

Ugh. Hard answer, and the terrible truth. If the Orioles could take the year off and restock their Minor League system and compile talent, they would. This is a soup to nuts rebuild people, and it will get as ugly as it is before it gets better. Yes, it sucks, and watching this team is painful. I hate it too, but that is the way it is. The Orioles have nothing right now, and they are in worse shape than the Astros were as an organization. If you want to see what the future holds, follow Aberdeen, and smile at that.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

What part of similar plan made you decide to pull a 60 win number? I get mad at myself for trying to have a grown up conversation with you, but I fail to understand why would you even bother with following this team? 

I don't like what the team is doing... that's why I said earlier I've kinda stepped back from following as much as usual. That being said, why sit around and belly ache about something that will probably not change for a while? I'm sure that if you created a poll most everyone would know where your opinion is.

60 win number is fine. It shows you are putting out a major league team out there.  Back to back sub 50 win seasons without trying to improve is unacceptable.  I think a salary floor and not allowing a team to have number 1 overall in back to back seasons plus a draft lottery will,have to be implemented. For the integrity of the game.

1 minute ago, Yachtsman said:

Ugh. Hard answer, and the terrible truth. If the Orioles could take the year off and restock their Minor League system and compile talent, they would. This is a soup to nuts rebuild people, and it will get as ugly as it is before it gets better. Yes, it sucks, and watching this team is painful. I hate it too, but that is the way it is. The Orioles have nothing right now, and they are in worse shape than the Astros were as an organization. If you want to see what the future holds, follow Aberdeen, and smile at that.

Most of the players on Aberdeen will never sniff Frederick much less help the team in the future.

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

60 win number is fine. It shows you are putting out a major league team out there.  Back to back sub 50 win seasons without trying to improve is unacceptable.  I think a salary floor and not allowing a team to have number 1 overall in back to back seasons plus a draft lottery will,have to be implemented. For the integrity of the game.

I agree about losing the guaranteed first pick. A salary floor doesn't really apply in the Orioles case. 

You do not need all of them, you need between three and five to make the jump. You groom that core as a group, and move them up with that core being your true talent base. Each year equals the same equation. Now, do the math for a 25 man roster, and add in strategic free agents, and you have a real team and organization. The Orioles problem is that their higher levels contain fringe prospects, with really no players ready to be everyday, solid players. Thus you have to start from the bottom, which is where this has begun.

3 minutes ago, Yachtsman said:

You do not need all of them, you need between three and five to make the jump. You groom that core as a group, and move them up with that core being your true talent base. Each year equals the same equation. Now, do the math for a 25 man roster, and add in strategic free agents, and you have a real team and organization. The Orioles problem is that their higher levels contain fringe prospects, with really no players ready to be everyday, solid players. Thus you have to start from the bottom, which is where this has begun.

I think before the season began the hope was Diaz, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, and Sisco were going to be regulars by the time the season was out. Maybe Tate, Ortiz and Kremer, could help the team along with Pop.

Now it looks like Mountcastle and Sisco  and Sisco strikes out too much so we are left with one guy out of 8 as potential help this year.

Archived