Is the 2019 Season a Blatant Tank Job?

wildbillhiccup

Which is why we suck Atomic. Horrible truth, but there it is. Our high level minor league teams are devoid of MLB talent right now. You need a core of home grown players, and some key additions to supplement the holes. It appears that Elias is building talent up the middle first, and the corners are the fillers. I get his plan, but it is going to take three years at least to start bearing fruit, and this is the first horrible year. My guess is they start looking non terrible in the middle of next season.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Austin Hays was removed from tonight's game after one AB. Unclear why. I was watching Eshelman's start tonight on Gameday. He's doing well so far.

From Norfolk beat writer:

After grounding out in the 2nd,

came up limping and grabbing the back of his left leg after crosing the bag. He has left the game

Just now, Going Underground said:

From Norfolk beat writer:

After grounding out in the 2nd,

came up limping and grabbing the back of his left leg after crosing the bag. He has left the game

Yeah, I saw a post in his thread in the minors forum on the sidebar after I posted that. Sounds bad.

28 minutes ago, atomic said:

60 win number is fine. It shows you are putting out a major league team out there.  Back to back sub 50 win seasons without trying to improve is unacceptable.  I think a salary floor and not allowing a team to have number 1 overall in back to back seasons plus a draft lottery will,have to be implemented. For the integrity of the game.

17 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I agree about losing the guaranteed first pick. A salary floor doesn't really apply in the Orioles case. 

I disagree with the idea of not having the worst teams get the first pick...in fact, I would give the worst teams extra high round picks to further the rebuilding faster.

Doing it your way would only guarantee the behemoths, MFYs, Boston, LA, etc win even more than they do now by removing one of the few but key tools for quickly rebuilding smaller market teams.    Otherwise, just go like the English football leagues and create two divisions with the worst team of the Upper and the best team of the Lower moving up and down to Upper and Lower divisions. 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I disagree with the idea of not having the worst teams get the first pick...in fact, I would give the worst teams extra high round picks to further the rebuilding faster.

Doing it your way would only guarantee the behemoths, MFYs, Boston, LA, etc win even more than they do now by removing one of the few but key tools for quickly rebuilding smaller market teams.    Otherwise, just go like the English football leagues and create two divisions with the worst team of the Upper and the best team of the Lower moving up and down to Upper and Lower divisions. 

They can adopt a lottery method which benefits the bottom 8-10 teams still. Clearly not putting in any effort to field a ML caliber team should not be rewarded with a guaranteed pick.

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

They can adopt a lottery method which benefits the bottom 8-10 teams still. Clearly not putting in any effort to field a ML caliber team should not be rewarded with a guaranteed pick.

A lottery system sure stopped teams in the NBA from tanking.

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

I think Mike Elias would disagree with you as to whether he is putting in any “effort”.  And so do I.   Losing teams should be brought back as quickly as possible, otherwise it defaults to all Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs all the time.

You can’t do that by penalizing bad teams further that also have less resources.   Unless you just want teams to just go out of business altogether at some point. 

Can’t agree with you more.  This 2019 orioles team is the worst, an embarrassment.  I’ve been an orioles fan since 1965.   Look out you 1962 Mets fans, the 2019 orioles will be breaking your losing record!  The regular baseball season is not meant to be a time to rebuild.  It’s the time to compete for post season play, to hopefully, include a trip to the World Series games.  It’s quite sickening to see this team of misfits, wannabes and one washout (Chris Davis) lose game after game.  Does anyone recall the great Al Kaline returning part of his salary because he felt that he had a bad year.  Well he did.  You can bet Davis would never give any of his salary back.  What a big bust he has been.  Mancini is only only oriole who is producing.  As for me, no more watching the orioles on tv this year.   I will also go to fewer games.  Why pay admission and those high food cost and see your favorite team lose game after game.   They really suck.   It’s really tough being an oriole fan.

If you think "Dillon Tate" is going to do much better in 2019 than Dan Straily -- who did have a track record of modest MLB accomplishment spanning years -- in the big leagues, and make that your hill to die on, vaya con dios, I guess.  It's rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic as far as I'm concerned.  Certainly not an indication that the team is trying to lose, either way.  It is just a reflection of how bereft of talent the MLB team and upper minors currently is.  What's next, are folks going to start clamoring for Grayson Rodriguez to play in the MLB next month?  

Okay, so.. Eshelman's final line tonight against Scranton Wilkes-Barre (NYY) is in.

7.1 IP, 4H, 3ER, 5K, 1BB, 3HR .. 92 pitches, 64 for strikes. Two of the three solo homers were hit by Ryan McBroom. He gave up a homer in the 2nd, 5th and 8th inning.

27 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Okay, so.. Eshelman's final line tonight against Scranton Wilkes-Barre (NYY) is in.

7.1 IP, 4H, 3ER, 5K, 1BB, 3HR .. 92 pitches, 64 for strikes. Two of the three solo homers were hit by Ryan McBroom. He gave up a homer in the 2nd, 5th and 8th inning.

Sounds like he fits right in!

Archived