Buck back with the Yankees?

eddie83

Count me as a big Buck fan.  He was human, therefore he made mistakes as we all do.  However, we all should be so lucky as to  have our grandchildren have as much knowledge about their jobs as Buck had about his, and also have his work ethic.  I sure hope he does not end up with the Yanks.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2019 at 5:22 PM, Sessh said:

I have some unkind words for him about his decision to play GM, go over everyone's head to PA and lobby for Davis to be signed to the worst contract in Orioles history. He did wear out his welcome evidenced by the team quitting on him in 2017, and kept it going into 2018 which is the kind of player rebellion stuff that has happened to him in the past. We did get Rutschman, so it's not all bad. In his defense, if our FO wasn't so far removed from sanity, he would have never been allowed to meddle in the business of signing players and deciding who stays and goes to any degree.

Buck's ok, but was never a huge fan of him personally especially after the Britton debacle. I have no ill will towards him as far as his future goes, though. More power to him getting a job with the Yankees. I think he'd be great in the role of an analyst and should do well there.

o

The 2017 team had one of the all-time worst starting rotations in the history of baseball, and they somehow managed to go 71-68 for more than 3/4 of the season before falling apart at the end. I would describe that team's effort as quite the opposite of quitting ........ it was a minor miracle that they managed to stay in the hunt until early September with the starting rotation being as atrocious as it was. As frustrated as I was at the 4-19 finish over their final 23 games, looking back at it, it was surprising that the collapse didn't happen sooner than it did with that rotation. The 2017 Orioles bullpen pitched more innings than every team in baseball except for the Reds and the Blue Jays.

o

He talked a lot of smack on the Yankees as an Oriole, so while this stings a little, I'm not so naive as to think everything a manager says on behalf of his current team is 100% how he feels. At the end of the day, he wants to continue to work in baseball, and I bet he'll have some surprising/neutral/humorous takes on the Yankees while he's got this gig. And maybe a few good things to say about the O's, should it present itself. Maybe.

Hopefully, he acts more as a rover around the game itself, rather than be tied down to NY. The game would benefit from it. 

36 minutes ago, interloper said:

He talked a lot of smack on the Yankees as an Oriole, so while this stings a little, I'm not so naive as to think everything a manager says on behalf of his current team is 100% how he feels. At the end of the day, he wants to continue to work in baseball, and I bet he'll have some surprising/neutral/humorous takes on the Yankees while he's got this gig. And maybe a few good things to say about the O's, should it present itself. Maybe.

Hopefully, he acts more as a rover around the game itself, rather than be tied down to NY. The game would benefit from it. 

Buck can do whatever he wants so far as I’m concerned.    I wouldn’t want him badmouthing the Orioles, and I doubt he will.    Otherwise, if YES wants him, no reason he shouldn’t take the gig.    

• Upvote 1

Won't ever have a bad thing to say about Buck. In my 32 years of living, his teams showed me inspired baseball. I didn't watch baseball in a meaningful way back in '96-'97 as a child, so all I have is the Buck years. I always found him interesting on TV even when he was with ESPN. I find it cool that he's back with the Yanks. Wish him nothing but the best.

• Thanks 1

I am not going to look back and judge Buck on this decision or that which didn't work out.  He made the team not just respectable, but a winner, for the first time in a decade and a half, and for that I'll always appreciate what he did for the Orioles.   It's far better to be a contender than not

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1