Is This the Bottom?

Aristotelian

I think they are at the bottom, and the bottom will be pretty level until some talent in the farm system matures to major league level.  That may be some time next year maybe?  The question is why did the team/franchise have to bottom so bad in a rebuild period.  This is a team that was a wild card in 2017.  

Another quote that is annoying is  'yeah but they had the most wins between 201? and 201?'.   They had only one division title in that span, and was another almost team.  To think that this team has only two divisional titles since 1983 is astounding.  

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

This isn't just about the ML team. There really isn't a whole lot of good going on with some of the MiL guys that were hopefully going to be contributors either later this year, or at least next season. 

When you are in the first year of ANY TYPE of redesign in team philosophy (Analytics and Implementation) there is going to be some growing pains just trying to get the two to seven year players in the system to ADJUST and BUY IN.  We have also heard from the the GM to the Manager that this year is for EVALUATION.  The interesting part of this year, irregardless of the record, is who will be left standing through the winter.  This will be the answer as to who BOUGHT IN and who thought they KNEW MORE than Management.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This has always seemed to be a topic around here.  And the answer is you won't know what bottom is until they're way on the way back up and you've got some perspective.  

The intention was a prediction thread, which the OH does all the time. I am calling bottom. If you think it gets worse, how bad will it get? 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This has always seemed to be a topic around here.  And the answer is you won't know what bottom is until they're way on the way back up and you've got some perspective.  

The thing is, when you hit bottom from a height you tend to bounce at least once, so perhaps the first sign of life should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

The intention was a prediction thread, which the OH does all the time. I am calling bottom. If you think it gets worse, how bad will it get? 

The season is a journey with different pit stops along the way.  As in any journey, you go up hill to go down hill and vice-versa.  The journey is scheduled to end September 29th on a Sunday against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park.  I wonder if the orioles will have another Andino Moment on that day more than I worry about the BOTTOM.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

In terms of the whole season?  The loss streak we're currently on?  Both?

I think next year will be bad, too.  I'm not sure if it''ll be THIS bad, but I don't see how it's going to get significantly better.  I don't think we're going to break our own record of homers allowed next year but we'll approach it.  That said, a lot can happen between now and then.                                           

As far as this current losing streak goes, I think at least three more games.

Guess it depends on your definition of bottom. I'm thinking 2018-2021 is about as low as it can get. I'd feel differently if there we're quite a few prospects that were on the verge of being called up but that's not reality. Elias isn't in a hurry this year and has already stated this year is all about the evaluation. I think Akin and Mountcastle might get a taste in Sept. but won't be up until after June next year. Maybe Hays also but he seems to be snakebit regarding his health. Everyone else is in AA or lower. It's just going to be a long process.

I can't imagine what Elias walked into in November. We have to be Bottom 3 of all professional sports franchises. No International talent, $$$ that was spent on MLB payroll instead of infrastructure, an owner who always knew better than the people he hired, yada, yada, yada. I don 't think there's a chance we break .500 before '23.

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

In terms of the whole season?  The loss streak we're currently on?  Both?

I think next year will be bad, too.  I'm not sure if it''ll be THIS bad, but I don't see how it's going to get significantly better.  I don't think we're going to break our own record of homers allowed next year but we'll approach it.  That said, a lot can happen between now and then.                                           

As far as this current losing streak goes, I think at least three more games.

I was thinking W/L% for this season but feel free to propose another metric and call the bottom.

I think if we don't get one of these next two, speculation around the 21-loss record starts to build as a story next week.

I believe April is when AAAA go-getters profile better, while they are on the adrenaline rush of their lives and some others are still getting into the swing of things.  It was always likely there would be a major streak at some point this year.

While we were steadily losing series to a basket of the other teams almost as bad as us - the Tigers, Giants, Rangers, and Blue Jays - I generally had a feeling that if we were playing teams any good at all with any heart, a streak was near at hand.

Boston and Oakland started it - this series is the last breather for a bit.  If these next two maybe push it to 12, the Padres, Indians and Rays are next - all solid or better teams fighting for real stuff.

Standard disclaimer that nothing at the MLB level matters much this year, but I'd hate for Rutschman's cap tipping at Camden to also be like Fantastic Fans night.

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The thing is, when you hit bottom from a height you tend to bounce at least once, so perhaps the first sign of life should be taken with a grain of salt.

On Wall Street that's called a "dead cat bounce".

I don't understand why how bad the O's are has been a continuing topic on this board. I thought that after trading away some players last year and knowing how bad the farm system is, that people were aware that the O's were going to be bad for at least two seasons. Does it really matter if they are historically bad rather than just bad?

There aren't many players on the 25 man roster that are actually major league players, and it's going to take time the find and develop those players. Constantly complaining about how bad the O's are is not going to speed up that process.

I would consider it a moral victory if I lived long  enough to  regularly see  Orioles SPs  pitch a baseball game.  I did not say once through the lineup, on a good day, but  actually pitch a baseball game, win, lose or draw, through 7,8, or 9 innings.  To those who say it cannot be done anymore, I say it is not done anymore because the Orioles pitchers do not have the talent at this time, and they have been trained to do Quality Starts. Excuse me, but I do not call 5 or 6 innings of 3 or 4 or more runs a Quality Start.  Neither do I call twice through the lineup with several runs allowed, a Quality Start.  The bar is so low that it sickens me, and STILL they cannot measure up to it.  That to me is One good measure of just how pathetic these people are as Major League baseball pitchers.  

Edited by Oriole1940
Spelling