Ryan Wilson 2019

Frobby

Ryan Wilson joined the Delmarva rotation on May 18, shortly after Blaine Knight was promoted.   Our 33rd rounder in 2017 out of Pepperdine, he also had some time with the Shorebirds last year, mostly as a reliever.   

After struggling a bit in his first four starts, Wilson has allowed only one unearned run over his last three, yielding only 6 hits and 5 walks in 18 IP in that span, lowering his ERA to 3.48.    Maybe someone to watch.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ryan Wilson joined the Delmarva rotation on May 18, shortly after Blaine Knight was promoted.   Our 33rd rounder in 2017 out of Pepperdine, he also had some time with the Shorebirds last year, mostly as a reliever.   

After struggling a bit in his first four starts, Wilson has allowed only one unearned run over his last three, yielding only 6 hits and 5 walks in 18 IP in that span, lowering his ERA to 3.48.    Maybe someone to watch.  

He's a crafty lefty type, maybe t90, but lives in the 80s, but with a quality breaking ball and changeup. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Wilson is forcing me to sit up and take notice.    Tonight: 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 11 K’s.   Last 5 starts: 31 IP, 15 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 7 BB, 35 K’s.    He’s gone at least 6 innings in each of those starts, and had double digit strikeouts in each of the last two.    He’s the first Orioles pitcher to have consecutive double digit strikeout games this year.    

• Upvote 3

On 6/28/2019 at 1:52 PM, Luke-OH said:

He was one of the 2017 late rounders who caught my attention in video, but the velocity limits his chances.

Just curious, how timely are your velocity and/or profile assessments? I had the same question re: a post of yours in the Leo Rodriguez thread. 

Maybe a better question is how likely are those assessments to have fundamental changes over time? I see some of the numbers guys are putting up seemingly out of nowhere and I just wonder if the cause for the improved results is they've figured out how to add a few ticks of velocity, maybe sharpened secondaries, or whether most of this is just a function of a new pitching coordinator essentially focusing on things like changing eye levels.

I honestly don't know what to make of it all. Are the arms in this org suddenly this good or is their instruction just that much better. If it's the latter, that's a real dagger to the old player development regime.

Just now, LookinUp said:

Just curious, how timely are your velocity and/or profile assessments? I had the same question re: a post of yours in the Leo Rodriguez thread. 

Maybe a better question is how likely are those assessments to have fundamental changes over time? I see some of the numbers guys are putting up seemingly out of nowhere and I just wonder if the cause for the improved results is they've figured out how to add a few ticks of velocity, maybe sharpened secondaries, or whether most of this is just a function of a new pitching coordinator essentially focusing on things like changing eye levels.

I honestly don't know what to make of it all. Are the arms in this org suddenly this good or is their instruction just that much better. If it's the latter, that's a real dagger to the old player development regime.

Some are old, but I try to keep as up to date as possible and mention any velocity changes of significance.

The Leonardo Rodriguez and Ryan Wilson numbers are recent, within a month. Actually the last velocity numbers I have on Wilson, he didn't even touch 90 once. Mostly 86-88. 

13 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Some are old, but I try to keep as up to date as possible and mention any velocity changes of significance.

The Leonardo Rodriguez and Ryan Wilson numbers are recent, within a month. Actually the last velocity numbers I have on Wilson, he didn't even touch 90 once. Mostly 86-88. 

Is it at all common for guys with the velocity numbers we're seeing to put up these kinds of statistics in the minors? Every now and then we've seen guys pop up with great runs, but this year it seems like a different guy is lighting the world on fire every week. I love it, but I just don't know what to trust anymore, lol. I feel like it has to be smoke and mirrors that will be exposed as they move up, but then I see the guys in AA still doing it and start to wonder. 

9 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Is it at all common for guys with the velocity numbers we're seeing to put up these kinds of statistics in the minors? Every now and then we've seen guys pop up with great runs, but this year it seems like a different guy is lighting the world on fire every week. I love it, but I just don't know what to trust anymore, lol. I feel like it has to be smoke and mirrors that will be exposed as they move up, but then I see the guys in AA still doing it and start to wonder. 

Yeah, guys with below to well below average velocity often do very well in the minors, especially below AA. You rarely hear about them on other teams because they often aren't highly esteemed prospects. Every team has a few of them. Orioles probably have more than most.

Edit: To be clear, Lowther is not one of these types, his stuff plays pretty well because of deception/extension, Wells is kind of this type, but might have the command to surpass expectations. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, guys with below to well below average velocity often do very well in the minors, especially below AA. You rarely hear about them on other teams because they often aren't highly esteemed prospects. Every team has a few of them. Orioles probably have more than most.

It honestly makes me wonder whether Rom has the potential that his numbers would suggest.

I've just responded to like 10 of your posts. I'll leave you alone now. lol.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

It honestly makes me wonder whether Rom has the potential that his numbers would suggest.

It seems to me the difference between Delmarva and Frederick is pretty dramatic.    I don’t put too much stock in good pitching stats in Delmarva.    But I’d sure rather see good stats than bad ones!

I think next year will be fascinating when all the Delmarva pitchers move up a level.    I think we’ll see some separation of the men from the boys.    

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It seems to me the difference between Delmarva and Frederick is pretty dramatic.    I don’t put too much stock in good pitching stats in Delmarva.    But I’d sure rather see good stats than bad ones!

I think next year will be fascinating when all the Delmarva pitchers move up a level.    I think we’ll see some separation of the men from the boys.    

Part of it is that Delmarva is a pitcher's park, Frederick is an extreme hitter's park. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Rom has t92, I think it's possible he eventually sits low 90s even though he's pretty mature-bodied.  I definitely haven't gotten overheated as to his future value though. You can see that in my posts about Rom, I'm pretty cautious with him. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Part of it is that Delmarva is a pitcher's park, Frederick is an extreme hitter's park. 

Yes, that’s a huge factor.   But we need to know who can pitch in a hitter’s park, since the O’s play in one.     

I think the other big factor is that A+ hitters are more selective.    It’s harder to get them to strike out on pitches way out of the zone.    Blaine Knight alluded to this shortly after he was promoted.