2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Woods-Richardson is very good. He’s going to be an easy top 100 guy next year, maybe top 50.

Sure, but Stroman is of a completely different caliber than Gausman. I think people were expecting a return for Gausman that was similar or better than the return the Jays got for Stroman. Wasn't going to happen.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I disagree with the assessment that Kay was the top guy in the deal, but yeah he’s solid. It’s like Grayson Rodriguez and Keegan Akin for Stroman, that’d be a pretty comparable return IMO. Grayson is a little better than Woods-Richardson, Kay is a little better than Akin.

It felt like they were talking him up because he had a lower floor as opposed to a higher ceiling. Maybe that's why they listed him first? The others have higher upside, but also more bust potential. Just speculating...

26 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That's all hindsight though. I'm not evaluating the trade a year later (based on performance), I'm evaluating it based on what it was at the time it was made. 

Yes and DD’s judgement at the time (and probably lots of GMs) was that the consistently erratic Gausman will probably not figure it out and that O’Day was a major risk and 12 million would be saved.  And that the prospects coming back were thus a crap shoot but could yet become contributors.  

You can only really evaluate trades in hindsight...otherwise a Milt Pappas for an old 30 Frank Robinson looked good  at the time it was made as did getting a Glenn Davis for three prospect types, Schilling, Finley, Harnisch. . 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It felt like they were talking him up because he had a lower floor as opposed to a higher ceiling. Maybe that's why they listed him first? The others have higher upside, but also more bust potential. Just speculating...

I just don’t think the industry has caught up with the stuff improvements SWR has achieved, also I think people put too much weight on the ERA of prospects. Kay is the closer to ready, safer prospect. I think Kay is being properly valued but SWR is being undervalued by most (not Toronto).

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I would have sought a different type of return (if that was even an option) in the Gausman deal, but it was fair from a value sense which I said at the time. Both Gausman and the top prospect piece (JCE) have underperformed expectations. 

The money got sold. 

5 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'm not sure how good a fit Mancini would be, but figured I'd post this tweet anyway.

Poor Markakis. Losing him in 2012 was huge and you could tell it killed him(and Buck). Hate to see him lose out on another  chance at the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'm not sure how good a fit Mancini would be, but figured I'd post this tweet anyway.

Austin Riley has been awful as of late too. They seem to be filling the Markakis void with Ender Inciarte and spelling Austin Riley with Adam DuVall. They can't be happy with that OF. Mancini and Givens to the Braves seems like it would solve two problems for them. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Austin Riley has been awful as of late too. They seem to be filling the Markakis void with Ender Inciarte and spelling Austin Riley with Adam DuVall. They can't be happy with that OF. Mancini and Givens to the Braves seems like it would solve two problems for them. 

Atlanta hasn't shown a willingness to part with one of their top arms, yet. Would this package do that? You're not getting one of the top OF options or Ian Anderson, but would Kyle Wright or Bryse Wilson headline this type of a deal? Are either enough?

20 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Poor Markakis. Losing him in 2012 was huge and you could tell it killed him(and Buck). Hate to see him lose out on another  chance at the playoffs.

Gotta feel for the guy, only two seasons since his rookie year where he will end up playing fewer than 155 games, and he will have missed (at least a large chunk of) two of the only four stretch runs of his career.

2 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Atlanta hasn't shown a willingness to part with one of their top arms, yet. Would this package do that? You're not getting one of the top OF options or Ian Anderson, but would Kyle Wright or Bryse Wilson headline this type of a deal? Are either enough?

For Mancini and Givens? I think it's certainly reasonable to ask. Touki Toussant's still pretty young too. I'm not sure how I feel about him, but he seems like someone who might be a bit more obtainable than he was this time last year. I'd definitely want one of their SPs to headline the deal.  

It's a shame the Nats just placed Scherzer on the IL (again). It might give the Braves a false sense of security if they're on the fence about making trades. 

Another question, do you think Elias would trade mancini and givens for just one top prospect who is in AA or AAA? Kinda feels like he is targeting a strength in numbers approach. 

Would he be more inclined to go after three low-A lottery tickets or one AA/AAA top prospect?

17 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

Another question, do you think Elias would trade mancini and givens for just one top prospect who is in AA or AAA? Kinda feels like he is targeting a strength in numbers approach. 

Would he be more inclined to go after three low-A lottery tickets or one AA/AAA top prospect?

Quite possibly, but I think the age of the prospect might be enough to sway him to go for quality over quantity (in some cases). For example, several of the Braves top pitching prospects are only 21 years old. 

24 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

It doesn't make sense to trade Mancini for three low-A boom or bust type prospects. Mancini has more value remaining an Oriole than dumping him for prospects that might have a chance to make it. 

Archived