Leonardo Rodriguez

AJHoesnkakes

18 minutes ago, AJHoesnkakes said:

Who is he? And should we be paying attention? 10 Ks tonight in Aberdeen. Seems like he has quite a frame at 6'7" 220lbs. He is almost 22, and still at Aberdeen, but wondering if anyone has any information on him?

I posted this in another thread, but he was 92-96mph with the fastball in an earlier start, with a fringy secondary stuff at the moment. It's a slingy, low slot type delivery. It's a relief profile for me long term, I don't see a starter's command or arsenal.  

• Upvote 2

It’s hard to keep follow these guys in the GCL because there’s only so many innings to go around. With the new emphasis on player development I wish they would consider bringing back a team similar to what we had in Bluefield. A rookie league team that would be in between GCL and Aberdeen. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Almost 22 years old, FYI.

Only on this board would someone four months before their 22nd birthday be described as "almost 22 years old".

Maybe a child that was 6 and 2/3rds would describe himself as "almost 7", but no adult would be described this way.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There is strength in numbers and we are starting to see a good number of prospects, particularly pitchers, doing well.  The odds are against any specific one but if you get enough, good things should happen. Good stories from Bowie on down.  Even, if a lot of these guys turn into bullpen pieces, not the worst thing.  This guy sounds a little like Castro but hopefully he's more Armando Benitez.

Yep. Get many live arms and good player development guys and some are bound to exceed their scouting reports.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Only on this board would someone four months before their 22nd birthday be described as "almost 22 years old".

Maybe a child that was 6 and 2/3rds would describe himself as "almost 7", but no adult would be described this way.

What can I say? I saw 21 and 242 days and didn't do the math. Only on this board would someone call you out for something so minor.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He’ll be 21 every day this season.   That’s good enough for me.    Of the 30 pitchers who have made an appearance for Aberdeen, he’s the 7th youngest.   

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So, using the analogy that Tony likes to use, if we drafted a college junior this year who was doing what Rodriguez is we'd be pretty darn happy.  Unfortunately, the scouting report from Luke sounds like "reliever".

That’s OK with me, down the road. It’s not like our bullpen couldn’t use any help.    

The OH rankings of our pitchers this year will be very interesting.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• A player who is a FA after this year TB is not going to care where he goes. That said they only have Armstrong and Rosario. Potentially Maton. 
    • I don't think we really need to trade for CF just because we have so much depth at COF. We could promote Mayo or Kjerstad permanently and just see how they shake out, which wouldn't offensively be as bad as Mullins has been this year. Slide over Cowser to CF if we can't find that good a deal, and then go for anothter SP arm and some more depth in the pen. They don't trade Basallo because (and this is just me speculating) that they could move on from either Mountcastle or O'Hearn in the 2025-2026 offseason depending on if they can get a good return on them, like what we saw Tampa do with Austin Meadows a couple years back and the Orioles have a backup to replace said bat or bats.  In terms of who we go for, I don't really know. I don't like the idea of reuniting with Tanner Scott because his control issues and walk rate are still very present. I'm not in love with the idea of going for Kopech because the numbers and peripherals are average at best.  Carlos Estavez from the Angels, sure but how high is that asking price going to be? Whoever sells come deadline time could be interesting, as teams like the Cubs and Tigers could potentially be sellers come deadline time. Maybe even the mighty Astros who haven't been as good this year could be persuaded to sell off some talent depending on who we make available. It's a little to early to tell as of right now due to a good chunk of the sport sitting at around 500, but who knows at this point? 
    • I don’t think it will meaningfully affect who they are looking to deal at the trade deadline. The Orioles will be more inclined to include guys who they aren’t planning to add to the 40 as the last pieces in a deal, but there isn’t a huge crunch that means they NEED to clear 40 man roster space. Of all the guys after Hays on that list, I think Strowd and Young are the only ones who are high probability of being added right now. None of the other borderline guys have much trade value at all. Note Baker is out of options next year, he’s going to have to pitch well the rest of the year to warrant his spot.  I also think Luis González is going to get a look at some point and will ultimately become the new Vespi for 2025, optionable lefty riding the Norfolk shuttle. 
    • Yea, for this season. As I said, any of those guys are capable for a season or 2 but the odds are that they won’t live up to larger contracts and that you don’t want to get into expensive deals with guys like that.
    • Good question. I have been so focused on this season I have given zero thought to the 40 Man and Rule 5. I think Santander gets QO and O'Hearn goes FA. We could lose both. I don't really see any young guys that "must" be protected other than Mayo, McDermott, and S. Johnson. D. Johnson is having a nice season as CF is a need but not sure he belongs on the 40 man. Davidson is having a nice season. I could see him taking a deep depth spot to replace Zimmermann.     
    • I wonder if he could comp with the glove to a guy like Alec Bohm? Big dude, not a great defender, but doesn't kill his team and makes some great plays along the way with the glove while mashing with the bat.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now