Aaron Brooks selected by O's off the waiver wire

wildcard

Brooks is something we almost never see from the O's.  A 9th round draft choice who has never had that much success.  He has been at AAA for 5 years but couldn't break into the majors.  Elias/Sig sees something they like.     They give him to Brocail and Wasdin  to improve.   They stick with him as a starter for 7 starts where he didn't do well.  Now they have improved his confidence in himself and his stuff and he has pitched well his last two starts.  

Can he be consistent.  Elias and Hyde are going to give him a chance to find out.  Evaluate whether he stays on the roster over the winter after Sept is over.   Will it work?  Can't tell but if it does it says a lot about he O's ability to find and develop pitching talent.

I'm not ready to eat crow yet (as I was over Brooks myself), but he has looked good as of late.  I wasn't overly impressed with the KC win simply bc it was KC.  But the Nats are good and his pitches had movement last night.  He was mixing up his breaking ball really well, and he was able to throw that 2 seamer inside and move it back over the inside corner.  I will think he will need throw about 3 more quality starts between now and the end of the season to insure a spot for next year's rotation. 

2020 rotation seems to be taking shape

1.Means

2.Bundy

3.Cobb

4.Wojo

5.Brooks?

22 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I'm not ready to eat crow yet (as I was over Brooks myself), but he has looked good as of late.  I wasn't overly impressed with the KC win simply bc it was KC.  But the Nats are good and his pitches had movement last night.  He was mixing up his breaking ball really well, and he was able to throw that 2 seamer inside and move it back over the inside corner.  I will think he will need throw about 3 more quality starts between now and the end of the season to insure a spot for next year's rotation. 

2020 rotation seems to be taking shape

1.Means

2.Bundy

3.Cobb

4.Wojo

5.Brooks?

I'd wait quite a while longer before even taking the crow out of the freezer to start defrosting.  Then maybe get a recipe out, then start finding the ingredients, then prep the bird and cook it.  This will probably take until well into 2020 spring training.

Two starts ago Brooks had a career ERA of 7.16 and he's 29 years old.  He doesn't really strike out anyone, and his career AAA ERA is 4.46.

I'm not even lightly penciling him into the 2020 rotation.  

• Haha 1

Just the day before, Tim Melville, who was Orioles property at one point and is also 29, did virtually the same thing to the Braves.  For one day, they looked like studs, but both Melville and Brooks have a ton to prove before anyone should assume they're going to last as ML starters.  I hope they do - especially Brooks.     

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s a amazing how almost any AAAA pitcher can have a great game once in a while.    I hope the O’s have found something in Brooks, but I tend to doubt it.   

Chris Waters says hi.

I doubt Brooks is a dude in the end, but I did like his breaking stuff last night. He's got a decent changeup and a decent slider. Both have good movement and he can throw both for strikes. It's the fastball that is kind of meh. I would be curious to see if they've tweaked his repertoire to be more breaking ball heavy like they've done with Bundy and Castro.

If Brooks could be, say, an even 5.00 ERA guy, that's honestly pretty huge for a rebuilding club. Any better than that and it's an outright steal from Oakland. 

Also, this is his 2nd straight very good start. But just his 3rd good start since coming over.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s a amazing how almost any AAAA pitcher can have a great game once in a while.    I hope the O’s have found something in Brooks, but I tend to doubt it.   

Chris Waters says hi.

Remember when Screech got called up after about a month in Frederick?  In a more normal promotion scheme he was about two years from getting called up, but he didn't do too badly, had a .640 OPS.  He hit better than Richie Martin or Chris Davis.  I was in the stands when he hit his only major league homer.

It's the same game, they're all pretty good players.  It's just a matter of degree and acclimatization.  Back before the draft and standardization of the minors teams would call up 18-year-olds and stick them in the majors.  They'd call up guys from Class C ball.  They'd sign bonus babies and keep them on the MLB roster for years at ages and developmental stages that today would mandate being in the Carolina League or the Eastern League.  Sometimes it worked out.  Sometimes not.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Remember when Screech got called up after about a month in Frederick?  In a more normal promotion scheme he was about two years from getting called up, but he didn't do too badly, had a .640 OPS.  He hit better than Richie Martin or Chris Davis.  I was in the stands when he hit his only major league homer.

It's the same game, they're all pretty good players.  It's just a matter of degree and acclimatization.  Back before the draft and standardization of the minors teams would call up 18-year-olds and stick them in the majors.  They'd call up guys from Class C ball.  They'd sign bonus babies and keep them on the MLB roster for years at ages and developmental stages that today would mandate being in the Carolina League or the Eastern League.  Sometimes it worked out.  Sometimes not.

Screech?

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

I doubt Brooks is a dude in the end, but I did like his breaking stuff last night. He's got a decent changeup and a decent slider. Both have good movement and he can throw both for strikes. It's the fastball that is kind of meh. I would be curious to see if they've tweaked his repertoire to be more breaking ball heavy like they've done with Bundy and Castro.

If Brooks could be, say, an even 5.00 ERA guy, that's honestly pretty huge for a rebuilding club. Any better than that and it's an outright steal from Oakland. 

Also, this is his 2nd straight very good start. But just his 3rd good start since coming over.

All I saw last night was a guy that was effectively wild. The Nats could never really zero in on him because one pitch could paint the outside corner, the next could be a 52' fastball, and the next could be in your earhole. He had a good bottom line though. 

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Deep in the "making it up as they go" years.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Chris Waters says hi.

Yes, Waters is the poster boy.  I'm half expecting somebody to post the Whitney Houston video of "One moment in time".  

15 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

This was the 5th time in his last 6 outings in which Brooks has gone at least 5 innings.

In his last 2 outings combined, 8 out of the 9 hits that he ceded were Singles (with 5 of them being infield hits.)

18 OUTS: ) 6 Strikeouts, 6 Groundouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Foulouts, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

AARON LEE BROOKS ))))))) (vs. NATIONALS, 8/27) 

IP:lll6

H:llll 2 )) (2 Singles)

R:lllll 0

BB:l.1 ) *

SO:lll6

Pitches: )l 98(60)Strikes, )38 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 5.79 )l) 88.67 IP  (57 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.376 )l )  88.67 IP  (122 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .276 ))  (98 for 355) 

* )) Brooks also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

23 ll(14 llStrikes, lll91 llBalls)

15 ll(9llStrikes, lll61 llBalls)

11 ll(9llStrikes, lll.21 llBalls)

25 ll(12 llStrikes, ll13 llllBalls)

11 ll(71 llStrikes, llll41 llBalls)

13 ll(91 llStrikes, llll41 llBalls)

o

o

Aaron Brooks Throws 6 Scoreless, O's Blank Nationals 2-0

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/aaron-brooks-with-six-scoreless-as-os-blank-washington-2-0.html

o

The most significant question about our pitching acquisition is what Mike or Sig  looks for that might’ve been overlooked by the previous team. 

We have picked up several guys who have been worthwhile acquisitions who may benefit from call the detailed analysis that Mike and Sigg are able to do. Armstrong, Means, Wojo,  have either changed something or refined something or found something that they apparently did not previously have, and each is worth his pay, at least at this point. 

I was down on Brooks, I would’ve been happy to let him go and bring up somebody from the minors, but maybe the analysts with the team have found something in him that can be fixed?  He’s got three more starts this year, let’s see how they go.